2021 JGP France II: Men's Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP France II: Men's Free Skate

Seven Sisters

Medalist
It happens all the time in junior competitions. There are other reasons to like the men than their ability to land jumps or spin.
Well—I’ve completely missed this comp, am only reading here to try to catch up, but this may be the best comment I’ve ever read on Goldenskate. You, readernick, are a genius and deserve an award!!!

readernick

Medalist
Well—I’ve completely missed this comp, am only reading here to try to catch up, but this may be the best comment I’ve ever read on Goldenskate. You, readernick, are a genius and deserve an award!!!
I'm far from a genius but I'm glad we agree on our love for the non-jump / non-spin aspects of Junior Men! I suggest watching Arlet and Wesley if you have a chance. I found them both very charming and full of potential.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I'm far from a genius but I'm glad we agree on our love for the non-jump / non-spin aspects of Junior Men! I suggest watching Arlet and Wesley if you have a chance. I found them both very charming and full of potential.
Do we all agree, though, that to be successful, a junior man should at least have some jumps and spins as part of the total package? :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I found it a bit painful to watch with so many falls, but Levandi was a bright ray there. Appleby also started pretty strong, but unfortunately, fell apart by the end. Good luck to both!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Well done to Estonia and Great Britain for reaching the podium. Has that ever happened in the JGP before? Would the Selevko’s or Nauritis have medalled previously?

I really enjoyed Levandi, he has a lovely style and connected well with his music. I seen him a few years ago at the WYOG but he has improved significantly since then. I’d had given him first overall but he was a long way back after the short. He could be a Top 10 contender in junior worlds.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Appelby’s programme but I think he struggled stamina wise so that impacted the performance element, still a good base to build on. Chiu shows the importance of a clean skate in the SP, it was a rough free skate but he fought all the way. I’m a bit over Muse at this point.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Well done to Estonia and Great Britain for reaching the podium. Has that ever happened in the JGP before? Would the Selevko’s or Nauritis have medalled previously?

I really enjoyed Levandi, he has a lovely style and connected well with his music. I seen him a few years ago at the WYOG but he has improved significantly since then. I’d had given him first overall but he was a long way back after the short. He could be a Top 10 contender in junior worlds.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Appelby’s programme but I think he struggled stamina wise so that impacted the performance element, still a good base to build on. Chiu shows the importance of a clean skate, it was a rough skate but he fought all the way. I’m a bit over Muse at this point.

"Arlet Levandi wins the first ever Men’s Junior Grand Prix medal for Estonia"
" Edward Appleby wins the first Men’s Junior Grand Prix medal since 1999."

https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1431594822213718019

Great achievement for both! :clap:

Andrea82

Medalist

Great Britain won a couple of medals in the past:
1998 JGP Banská Bystrica: Matthew Davies
1999 JGP The Hague: lan Street

I think it is first Estonian medal with Junior Men. Overall, their last JGP medal was Svetlana Issakova at JGP Tallin 2007.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we all agree, though, that to be successful, a junior man should at least have some jumps and spins as part of the total package? :)
we can agree. Although can we agree that Priyam Tated was a huge success, and the word can be differently in different situations? ;)

I love the junior men because they are so varied, and because you never know who will take your fancy or the comp.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I wasn't able to watch the boys in real time, and I apologize if this was addressed:

is Arlet Levandi the same skater who was on the mixed team that won gold at the Junior Olympics with my beloved and now no longer Utashin? He was so delightful there in the KnC(y)

Holy moly has he improved!

(sorry dreaded second post, but a different topic. :) )

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I just realised I've heard Ed Appleby's step sequence music (Jon Batiste, 'I Need You') once already this year, in Ilya Yablokov's SP. I remember thinking Ilya had the most bizarre music ever, but then Ed was actually kinda charming...

So it's not due to the song after all, just Ilya's special knack for imparting weirdness 🤔