2021 JGP France: Men's Free Skate | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP France: Men's Free Skate

Dogo

On the Ice
Watching Corey and Ilia reminds me that it is a monumental task to be focused on the technical complexity of your program AND at the same time understand your emotions and trying to control your nerves AND not loose the artistic vision of what you will be presenting. What Nathan and Yuzuru did for the LP and SP respectively at World's was a miracle of complexity, artistry, and being at a good mental space. Doing all 3 tasks is really a gigantic and monumental effort.

Supporting both Corey and Ilia going forward! It's a good lesson learned 🙌

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
oh lord... i understand the need to do this BUT this is not ideal.... we all know not to compare points from different events.... judging may become a factor in who gets in...
...and the altitude.

But I'm glad they are doing it this way. There is no other way to squeeze in the Japanese and Russians fairly.

Country
Norway
oh lord... i understand the need to do this BUT this is not ideal.... we all know not to compare points from different events.... judging may become a factor in who gets in...
And if you factor in the altitude in the two first events which seem to affect a lot of skaters, it´s even more unfair. Not to mention you have more time to practice going to the later events.

But of course, I understand why they have to do that, it´s really not ideal situation.

readernick

Medalist
... the altitude... a huge factor which probably impacted the LPs... which were much less successful than the SPs. Regarding JGP finals... i am not sure I care that much to be honest.
Yes, I think JGPs are really just about building skills. Who cares about the final? This was a great opportunity for all those young men to fall, get exhausted, and learn. Mission accomplished. ;)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy Ilia won. I'm just hoping he can make the JGPF. I know that's a bit far off, but I think he can do it, barring that the next event, he gets a high enough score.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ouch, Circelli’s skate was hard to watch. Poor guy. I was also expecting Malinin have a more succesful skate, but maybe it’s because he had been skating senior version of the programs? Anyway, at this event he was clearly in the lead, and fingers crossed it goes better in Krasnoyarsk for him. And, Broussard was the greatest in K&C 😂

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ouch, Circelli’s skate was hard to watch. Poor guy. I was also expecting Malinin have a more succesful skate, but maybe it’s because he had been skating senior version of the programs? Anyway, at this event he was clearly in the lead, and fingers crossed it goes better in Krasnoyarsk for him. And, Broussard was the greatest in K&C 😂
I didn't see Malinin's name on the entries, on as a sub.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I think JGPs are really just about building skills. Who cares about the final? This was a great opportunity for all those young men to fall, get exhausted, and learn. Mission accomplished. ;)
This is probably the first time I've followed a junior event to any extent. I enjoyed it well enough, but I don't know if I'll make a habit of it.

I think all of the top men here have a higher goal than the JGP Final. A win's a win and a medal is a medal, but I'm sure they've got other plans, and I doubt the outcome of a JGP event carries much import for the best juniors. It's all about experience skating before an international panel and learning to manage nerves.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This is probably the first time I've followed a junior event to any extent. I enjoyed it well enough, but I don't know if I'll make a habit of it.

I think all of the top men here have a higher goal than the JGP Final. A win's a win and a medal is a medal, but I'm sure they've got other plans, and I doubt the outcome of a JGP event carries much import for the best juniors. It's all about experience skating before an international panel and learning to manage nerves.
I have heard a few junior skaters mention that they like sharing the ice with the seniors in the final. GP final is the only international event where they potentially skate to the same audience as the senior division, so I think that could be an important incentive to get into the final six.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But wow two French on the podium...nice!
One competitor from France reached the podium (Francois Pitot), in part due to Corey Circelli's struggles.

If you are referencing Lucas Broussard (due to his 'French' name), please note that Lucas was born in Luxembourg. He apparently grew up in the U.S. His hometown is Seattle, WA:

ETA:
anonymoose_au said:
Oh wait one Frenchman.

I thought Lucas was French for some reason

Okay, I saw your above post after I'd already replied. I also see someone else has already mentioned that Lucas was born in Luxembourg. Previously, I had assumed his parents are first or second generation Americans with French ancestry. But, the French language is spoken in many countries around the world aside from France, including Belgium, Canada, Luxembourg, Switzerland, et al. (the listed countries recognize multiple national languages).

Last edited: