2021 JGP Kosice: Men's Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Men's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeeeeeah Kirill S! Although this does mean he'll be on quite late tomorrow night...

That being the case I better get my zzzs!

Great work lads! A thoroughly enjoyable competition ☺️

Great to hang out with all you guys too.

See you tomorrow!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
And now I need to take my antidepressants and wash my hair before pairs. Glad that Jaekeun is going to skate in the final group tomorrow, may he wrap up his debut with another clean skate and a better skate for my tesoro :pray:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another shoutout for Will Annis, :cheer:

Coming into a skate unheralded, packed with other favorites, taking them on, and showing what he can do. A masterful skate. Although I can do without Green Day;)

Dare I say the US junior men are keeping up the grand tradition of US junior men?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another shoutout for Will Annis, :cheer:

Coming into a skate unheralded, packed with other favorites, taking them on, and showing what he can do. A masterful skate. Although I can do without Green Day;)

Dare I say the US junior men are keeping up the grand tradition of US junior men?
Ditto on the music.

I liked that his jumps had really nice flow out of them. I thought the 3F was particularly nice. Lots of speed on the exit.

I didn't watch all the event, but I did catch Will on replay, mainly because I was surprised at his placement. I may want to go back and find the Korean skater, too, because he won PCS despite finishing something like 5th.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In the same vein: the US ice dancer Molly Cesanek's surname always gives me confusion. I think it's supposed to be 'che-sa-nek' but I've heard 'se-sa-nek' as well

and it's probably Tzesanek

Off topic, but for future reference:

I would transcribe Molly's own pronunciation of Cesanek as something close to "SEZ-uh-nek" -- with the middle syllable being very short ... to the point that her pronunciation sounds almost like just two syllables.​
I had the pleasure of chatting with Molly and Yehor at a 2020 U.S. Nats meet-and-greet. Both were very gracious.​
Per my request, Molly said her last name for me more than once.​
I wanted to hear her pronunciation directly from her own mouth because I felt sure that C/Y were on their way to becoming more and more prominent. :)

On topic:
Way to go, Will Annis. 🥳
Good luck in the FS.​

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Since folks are talking about Will Annis (and I just had a chance to watch): has anyone figured out his short program choreography? He starts out drawing circles around himself, then he pushes the circle inside his chest, later he bangs his forehead on something... I actually like his song (I listed to that album a lot when it came out) but I'm dying for interpretations of that choreography.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No question Annis had a great skate, but Lee seemed under-appreciated 🥺 happy to see Yablokov pulling the story together, but still can’t get over how much he’s grown.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Annis wasn't on my radar, nice jumps (with a Keegan-esque explosiveness), but other than that he seemed kinda choppy/deadpan to me. I tend to expect a bit more expression from an American skater...

Lee Jaekeun was a nice surprise (StSq4 yay!!) Only 13 but his skating skills and jump technique look really solid, he could make waves in a few years. I also liked Cha Younghyun for his musicality and interpretation. Further down the ranks Louis Weissert randomly caught my eye for nice arm carriage.

Also, even Ted remarked about Golubev's hair :LOL: Not bad from the Russian boys, I won't remark further yet to avoid jinxing them... I think the FP will depend a lot on who manages to land their quads.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I discovered something really cool about Kirill's costume today while looking on Insta at first it seemed it was just a really random outfit that had nothing to do with the program at all...

But it's not random black...flame things at the bottom of his shirt (which is what I thought), but shadows of the Beatles from the famous Abbey Road photoshoot! I think that's super awesome :biggrin:

Screenshot_20210903-112825.png

Looking forward to the FS!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I discovered something really cool about Kirill's costume today while looking on Insta at first it seemed it was just a really random outfit that had nothing to do with the program at all...

But it's not random black...flame things at the bottom of his shirt (which is what I thought), but shadows of the Beatles from the famous Abbey Road photoshoot! I think that's super awesome :biggrin:

View attachment 4198

Looking forward to the FS!
I was wondering what was on his shirt! Thank you for sharing!