2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Free Skate

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sofia was terrific! Her PCS score should be way higher than the rest of the girls. Veronika’s pcs score should be lower. But, I expected high scores due to her landing three quads. I think she is the best athlete in terms of technical ability. The overall standings were fair. Now I need Sofia to get a second spot and master the 4S to be more competitive.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He probably took away from last season that sometimes less is more. Funnily enough, he did it kind of backwards. He learned with world championship skaters and now applies it to his juniors instead of the other way round. :ROFLMAO: Go Team Plush! :cheer:
I think Sofia might be willing to sacrifice elements to put in overall more beautiful skate. I remember her not going for a spin once…

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love watching Ava Marie Ziegler! ❤️ I want to re-watch her FS right away, so I can say more about her performance, which was complete, expressive, beautiful skating, and original considering the norm for a top female skater at the moment.

I really enjoyed Chaeyeon Kim's skate today. Ted is right that she was able to perform it better today than last week. She didn't connect with my emotions the way Ava did, but she really put some musical relevance and expression into her skate.

I didn't really enjoy the Russian girls' skates. The Eteri girl, Adeliia (sorry for a moment I forgot her name, as I can only see her as an Eteri girl) ... it was like watching a wind-up mannikin or something. All four were trying so hard for a medal, or the right medal, that that's all I felt. Stress. Especially with the last skater, but with all four. Sofia was trying to express the program and the music, though. Still, all I could feel watching the 4 Russians was that they were checking the boxes, getting it done. Like they wanted to check items off of their to-do list. I don't like that that's who wins the competitions now. But I'm very grateful for the girls who are still dedicating themselves to being great performers, as well as amazing technical athletes. ❤️

meadow

Rinkside
I'm so happy for Veronika, she really needed a good competition to start this season! It seemed to me she was trying to perform a little bit more than usual and I liked the way she seemed to relax at the start of the step sequence, she seemed so happy. And the quads looked huge.

I think I'm in love with Sofia's FS dress. About the program, I don't think I like it too much, but she seems to have the gift (like Daria Usacheva) of making terrible programs look good on the ice. Finger crossed for her 4S, but it wasn't needed here.

Adelya was also good. I like her FS a lot more than her SP and she really performed today, while thursday she seemed a little off. I'm always nervous watching her, though, her jumps always look off-axis in the air or wobbly, I don't know how she pulls them off some time.

Mariia is not really my cup of tea at the moment. She was a lot better than during the SP, but I still find her a little expressionless. I suppose there's room for growth here but well done to her too.

Dogo

On the Ice
SO SO happy that Veronika & Sofia really stood out today 💐💐💐💐👏👏👏👏

They both have been through a lot and I'm so glad that all their talent got rewarded today. As a New Yorker, I loved Sofia's program (corny voiceovers and all) because it was BEAUTIFULLY executed. It resonates more with the movie than with the book obviously. And she is the queen of expressions. I haven't seen other junior lady emote like this in a while. She is so very precious. I fell in love with Baby Zhilina's talent in Ice Age and I'm so so glad she is shinning now. She is the most exciting girl to watch jump and has a refined and polished way in her choreo movements. She has actual skating skills and is not (unlike others I've seen) hiding her edges with random choreo. With those clean edges and jump technique, and some extra dedication to her charisma, she will be exhilarating to watch!!! 👏💐

icybear

Medalist
Sofia has been the best thing to come out of this jgp season so far. A breath of fresh air in the torrent of Russian ladies rushing through their music and not performing with the music. Looks like she's going through a similar theme as Daria but I think Sofia has the upper edge. I hope we can see her skating career progress despite not having a quad.
Elsewhere, I would have put Adelina pcs higher than Veronika today.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Omg Veronika (I'm Aussie so will resist the terrible urge to call her Ronnie) was amazing!!!! Those jumps!!!!!!

I also thought she did extremely well performance wise and that was a great choice for her. Huge contrast to the SP (which I love) which makes for a lovely change. I think it also makes her appear slightly more mature without being overwrought. The hair, dress and styling was perfect for her.

And because I have to say it again.... Those jumps are insane.

That said I love her step sequences. I've got a thing for a good step sequence and I'm a huge fan of hers.

Just wonderful!!!!! May she always skate with this much confidence!!!!!!

Dogo

On the Ice
I think Eteri is busy with tasks and goals of a much higher level during the Olympic season. If she was as infantile as your comment - she would just leave Valieva, Usacheva and the Khromyh in the juniors, who would erase everyone here into fine dust.
I would like celebrate the podium winner today but IF we are bringing names, no.
Usacheva looks a bit mechanic compared to Sofia Muravieva and does not emote like Sofia. Khromyh... well that's a different discussion... And when Valieva does a lot of her complex 'contorsion' choreo (because she's very elastic, credit where it's due) she relies a lot on not so deep edges and semi straight blade angles. She also masks pretty well these things in how rushed her programs are (not her fault) and jump edge transitions have also being a question mark. They all shine in one way or another. But credit is DUE to Sofia and Veronika for skating the way they do.

katymay

Medalist
I know it's not quite right to compare scores from different competitions but Ms.Levito from last week has got the third highest score after Zhilina and Muravieva from this event so far. This might be important for qualification to JGP finals this season.
Yes, edged out Adelia, barely. If they go by single scores (and they might) Levito stands a chance of getting in. To be honest though, I think Adelia is better than Isabeau-the jumps are far better, spins are a little better. So this is where scores across the the JGP's are not completely fair.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think Eteri is busy with tasks and goals of a much higher level during the Olympic season. If she was as infantile as your comment - she would just leave Valieva, Usacheva and the Khromyh in the juniors, who would erase everyone here into fine dust.
That's just not right. How can you even say that?

Veronika Zhilina's score even here was well above both Usacheva's as well as Khromykh's personal bests. And Muravyova's was higher than their personal bests as well.

I get this "Eteri's every skater is amazing"-narrative is fun to follow and all, but these three girls aren't like 3A. It's Valieva and two good but not that remarkable skaters.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
And when Valieva does a lot of her complex 'contorsion' choreo (because she's very elastic, credit where it's due) she relies a lot on not so deep edges and semi straight blade angles.
Valieva and Usacheva already showed last season they can perform like seniors - something these juniors need work on. Their skating skills are better than these people, too.

And sorry if people are thinking Zhilina's choreography or performance ability is in any way good. Muravieva and Petrosian are both MUCH better. Petrosian especially already has stunning musicality.
The Eteri girl, Adeliia (sorry for a moment I forgot her name, as I can only see her as an Eteri girl) ... it was like watching a wind-up mannikin or something.
Better a wind-up "mannikin" than novice level skating skills (which deserve 9, in some's minds) and doing Moulin Rouge for a "world silver", I'd say.

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
That's just not right. How can you even say that?

Veronika Zhilina's score even here was well above both Usacheva's as well as Khromykh's personal bests. And Muravyova's was higher than their personal bests as well.

I get this "Eteri's every skater is amazing"-narrative is fun to follow and all, but these three girls aren't like 3A. It's Valieva and two good but not that remarkable skaters.
First of all, my comment was not about this. Did I say that every girl from this trio would certainly win all of them? I was talking about Valievа /Usacheva/Khromykh team - I think it is very unlikely that one of them would not be standing at the top of the pedestal today.
Secondly, not right - "Valieva and all the others".Even a year and a half ago, Dasha had 208 points. The current Dasha is much more confident and mature. And, seriously, do you really think that in the presence of this trio, the judges would have created all this game with components, when Zhilina receives all this PСS? And Maya, I remind you, landed two quads at her last competition and defeated the current silver medalist of the planet.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Had you realized that my joke was about Plushenko's mindset and not Eteri's m̀aybe your little trolling attempt would have been more effective. And if you see the need to elaborate further you can pm me about it. We do not want to spoil everybody's fun here in the forum, do we?