2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Free Skate

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Had you realized that my joke was about Plushenko's mindset and not Eteri's m̀aybe your little trolling attempt would have been more effective. And if you see the need to elaborate further you can pm me about it. We do not want to spoil everybody's fun here in the forum, do we?
No, I don't want to :)
Sorry)) I'm just so tired that on our yellow sports website "sports.ru"(but which, alas, everyone reads, including myself) as soon as Plushenko's students defeat Tutberidze's students, they write about it in large letters on the editorial (I'm not exaggerating) "Plushenko's students defeated the Khrustalniy skaters!". I want to take a break from such a primitive clickbait at least here, and I come across your comment. :laugh: Sorry for the rudeness.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yes, edged out Adelia, barely. If they go by single scores (and they might) Levito stands a chance of getting in. To be honest though, I think Adelia is better than Isabeau-the jumps are far better, spins are a little better. So this is where scores across the the JGP's are not completely fair.
It could end up being rather important if Adelia won her next competition and Isabeau got 3rd.
First of all, my comment was not about this. Did I say that every girl from this trio would certainly win all of them? I was talking about Valievа /Usacheva/Khromykh team - I think it is very unlikely that one of them would not be standing at the top of the pedestal today.
Yes - Valieva. That was the whole point of my post, wasn't it? That it's not "these three", but only Valieva.
Secondly, not right - "Valieva and all the others".Even a year and a half ago, Dasha had 208 points. The current Dasha is much more confident and mature. And, seriously, do you really think that in the presence of this trio, the judges would have created all this game with components, when Zhilina receives all this PСS? And Maya, I remind you, landed two quads at her last competition and defeated the current silver medalist of the planet.
Well, if by "trio" you mean Valieva, then sure, Valieva would mop the floor with everyone.

If you are also referring to Usacheva and Khromykh, then no, I don't think they'd mop the floor with everyone. Actually, I think it'd be their scores suffering from the comparison, not the other way around.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
If you are also referring to Usacheva and Khromykh, then no, I don't think they'd mop the floor with everyone. Actually, I think it'd be their scores suffering from the comparison, not the other way around.
I strongly hold the opposite opinion. The day before yesterday, Zhilina received 31 PCS in SP - a point more than Adelia's. It was nonsense and shameful (She received more PСS at her first junior competition than Shcherbakova at her first senior competition. This is despite the fact that presentation of Zhilina as a 10-year-old child and Anya is the goddess of presentation.). This can be done in the presence of noname (for now) Petrosyan. But, I'm pretty sure that judges would not have the nerves to do such a thing against the background of, for example, the silver medalist of the JWC Usacheva.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I did not have "Kosice women's free skate thread turns into a debate about whether Kromykh could beat Zhilina" on my Bingo card today, but here we are. :) Next week is going to be terrible and amazing. I can't wait.

Edit: Meant two weeks from now! I keep forgetting we have a week off before Krasnoyarsk. But test skates will be fun too.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Valieva and Usacheva already showed last season they can perform like seniors - something these juniors need work on. Their skating skills are better than these people, too.
If with "these people" you meant Sofia Muravieva as well - I respectfully disagree. She is better than Valieve and Usacheva in skating skills. The girl is damn skating skills genius! In fact, if we would be doing "queen of blade mastery" contest of all modern woman figure skaters (not counting ice dancers, of course) - I would give the title to her without thinking twice :)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
If with "these people" you meant Sofia Muravieva as well - I respectfully disagree. She is better than Valieve and Usacheva in skating skills. The girl is damn skating skills genius! In fact, if we would be doing "queen of blade mastery" contest of all modern woman figure skaters (not counting ice dancers, of course) - I would give the title to her without thinking twice :)
I hope you'll be alone, then.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aw man, my best laid plans went awry :/ In the past five hours I think I managed to sleep for like...4 and hardly at all.

So nuts to that it's 5:40am so I'm going to watch the last group...

Aw for a second I thought Ted said they were only 4 short of their 100,000 goal, but no 4,000.

OMG Sofia M's dress is gorgeous! Even without tassles :biggrin:

Awww Ted's thrill at 30...no 100, no 200 new subscribers!

Uh-oh here we go..
Guuuulp

Ava Marie - Will she ever do a Vincent and skate to Ava Maria one day? ;) Not sure what to make of this, like it's lovely skating but this music is really... boring. Can we have Old Town Road back? Also I wonder if she know the other skating Zeiglers ;) I also really liked her jump ride-out :) Big score!

Chaeyeon - Arrives on the ice looking regal and graceful. Interesting music too! And gorgeous jumps! 🥰 Go girl get those GOEs! Hooray for @Ichatdelune you stan good. Yaaas fabulous score!

Mariia - Here Comes the Russian invasion (the four Russian girls should also do an Abbey Road recreation ;)) I hate those black tights with the seams though. Fine armography in the step sequence. I got distracted seeing THE DUDE (Sergei D) pacing in the back. Into first for Mariia though!

Adeliya - I like her a lot, go Russia Missile! She gets thee quad toe :cheer: And I actually love Paint it Black so I ain't even mad. Love her illusion spin! And aww her little smile. Short nap, LOL Ted. Although, I noticed they took out the lying on the ice at the start bit. Well the little green highlight on the skirt symbolises that second verse. I'm glad there's not dress change to that colour because that would be the opposite of the song...

Nika - Oh the nerves...I'll be honest...I don't like this FS music. Because it reminds me of Sasha T and it's like a slap in my face. I think I've taken her leaving harder than any of the relevant parties. How embarrassing. Ok here she goes... Her quads...they're enormous!! Plushy has the nervous board pace going on, I feel you, Plushy. There's so much at stake for him, any sign of failure and it will be "Plushenko ruiner of careers, worst coach ever'" And PHEW Nika made it! But that program...it's so blah and bland. I wish they'd change it. Aww Louis Vuitton mask. Awww she's all alone :( Wow huge!! What was the deduction for though!!

Sofia M - OK I'm scared because the start of this program is voice overs and it kills me...I fear there will be criticism. :( Oh wait did they cut it down? It seemed to go forever at test skates...maybe that was just awful acoustics. Lovely program on the whole though! So much emotion and connection. I guess she's an old soul :biggrin: "Arms always in motion" Ted says, Plushy trademark and my most favourite part of his skating Dick Button can chew on that :p

Well umm...I'm not sure if it's because I'm running on 4 hours of sleep, but I'm nowhere near as excited and thrilled as I was with Kirill. Is it because he's my fave? Probably :laugh: Or maybe it's because I'm a negative Nelly and all I can think of is the people who will nitpick... "Why is Nika's SP not like her FS. It's so inappropriate!" "Why did they give Sofia M voice overs?" and the downplaying "Sofia and Nika are naturally talented, Plushenko didn't do anything for them. They'd succeed wherever they go...and let's hope they go."

Man...I'm a Debbie Downer on 4 hours sleep.

Anyway! Congrats to all the girls! Enjoy your medals :biggrin:

Last edited:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Just catching up now. I always love Adelya Petrosyan but I actually think I enjoyed Sofia Muravieva the most today. Lovely connection to the music. Very emotional skater. As for Nika Zhilina, I don't particularly enjoy her programs this season but she has so much talent.. it honestly blows my mind!

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Muravieva has good basics all around but, oh my, someone needs to tell her to calm down and breathe. It’s mostly the fault of the choreography, it’s just way too frantic and the arms get too floppy and nonsensical. She reminds me of an unpolished Usacheva.

Unexpectedly, Zhilina was my favorite here. The lack of performance quality is obvious, but when every. other. single. thing. is on point, she’s still very pleasant to watch.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I really like Sofia, I could just watch her skate anything and it would be captivating! I don't know how they are going to determine the JGPF finalists but I hope we get to see her there.

Also Chaeyeon is a lovely skater who makes jumping look effortless!
Just remembered that Korean women have 3 spots at junior worlds, they have quite a few good skaters rising up!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
SO SO happy that Veronika & Sofia really stood out today 💐💐💐💐👏👏👏👏

They both have been through a lot and I'm so glad that all their talent got rewarded today. As a New Yorker, I loved Sofia's program (corny voiceovers and all) because it was BEAUTIFULLY executed. It resonates more with the movie than with the book obviously. And she is the queen of expressions. I haven't seen other junior lady emote like this in a while. She is so very precious. I fell in love with Baby Zhilina's talent in Ice Age and I'm so so glad she is shinning now. She is the most exciting girl to watch jump and has a refined and polished way in her choreo movements. She has actual skating skills and is not (unlike others I've seen) hiding her edges with random choreo. With those clean edges and jump technique, and some extra dedication to her charisma, she will be exhilarating to watch!!! 👏💐
Yay, someone else who loves Sofia's programme! :D
Voiceovers can work really well when the choreography 1. follows the rhythm of speech and 2. reflects its meaning (ideally, not too literally). There's a ballet set purely to Dylan Thomas poetry without music which illustrates this well (wish there was a recording, I watched it live):
Sofia does a good job on both points (though her timing was a tiny bit off compared to test skates). I like how her movements subtly reinforce certain phrases, e.g. 'we will run', 'stretch out our arms'.
Papadakis/Cizeron tried to do something like that in 2019-20 but it didn't work for me because of the insipid source material/obnoxious-sounding voice. Most voiceovers in skating are pretty awful (especially anything Ghost).

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Muravieva has good basics all around but, oh my, someone needs to tell her to calm down and breathe. It’s mostly the fault of the choreography, it’s just way too frantic and the arms get too floppy and nonsensical. She reminds me of an unpolished Usacheva.

Unexpectedly, Zhilina was my favorite here. The lack of performance quality is obvious, but when every. other. single. thing. is on point, she’s still very pleasant to watch.
Muravieva was a little bit rushed, I recommend checking out test skates (I wouldn't say she is frantic though, especially compared to Usacheva).

Something similar happened to Anisimov in the free. Ted commented about stamina issues/musicality problems, but I've seen him hit more musical accents in two previous outings of that programme. Nerves - Sofia hid it better though.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Papadakis/Cizeron tried to do something like that in 2019-20 but it didn't work for me because of the insipid source material/obnoxious-sounding voice.
OMG I still have flashbacks... honestly that was an utterly excuriating program. I'd rather listen to 1000 Phantom of the Operas with glass smashing sound effects than two seconds of that FD :laugh: I sure hope P/C have something fabulous to bring to the table this season!

On topic! Who was everyone's favourite small fed skater? I loved Vivian Papp 🤗 Hope she stays around for seasons to come!