2021 JGP Ljubljana: Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Ljubljana: Free Dance

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They seem to be future superstars.
Have we not seen this with Russian Junior ice dance teams for the last few years and yet none of them have made a mark and most broke up soon after they turned Senior. That's why Russian doesn't have much depth in ice dance right now in Seniors. Z/G are still the Russian #3 team but you would think by now another younger team would have passed them up if they had more strong teams.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Have we not seen this with Russian Junior ice dance teams for the last few years and yet none of them have made a mark and most broke up soon after they turned Senior. That's why Russian doesn't have much depth in ice dance right now in Seniors. Z/G are still the Russian #3 team but you would think by now another younger team would have passed them up if they had more strong teams.
Why so pessimistic? There are some promising young teams who turned seniors, Morozov/Bagin, Khudaiberdieva/Bazin, Davis/Smolkin, Shevchenko/Eremenko and others. In ice dance the way to the stars is longer than in other disciplines it seems, but that applies all over the world.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting to note: Wolfkostin / Chen and Kaganovskaia / Anelopol are tied on points (28 each) but W/C have the edge in total points: 328.26 to 327.94.

readernick

Medalist
This was an exciting competition. The three top teams are super talented and I am not emotionally attached to any of them so I enjoyed the suspense of not knowing who would win. I like the Canadians RD the most but I don't think their FD highlights their strengths. I don't particularly like the RD of W/C or K/A but I like the choreography in their FDs even if I don't like either music choice. I thought K/A would be held back a bit in the RD by levels ( they didn't get the best levels but it didn't matter) but in the end it was Wolfkostin's twizzle error that really decided this competition. This means JGPF ( if it occurs) will also be exciting. The cleanest team will win. Should be fun!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Why so pessimistic? There are some promising young teams who turned seniors, Morozov/Bagin, Khudaiberdieva/Bazin, Davis/Smolkin, Shevchenko/Eremenko and others. In ice dance the way to the stars is longer than in other disciplines it seems, but that applies all over the world.
I agree with @flanker , plus Skoptsova/Aleshin. And I think K/A are in the making. There's all the reason for a bright future. :rock:

humbaba

Final Flight
...in the end it was Wolfkostin's twizzle error that really decided this competition.
Speaking of which, does anybody know what Wolfkostin's error was? Taking the level down to base was a severe penalty and it's odd that no one seems to have a clue as to what the mistake was.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I would just remind that K/A also made a mistake in FD and lost levels at One Foot StSq, so their scoring potential was not fully exhausted.

Lulu39

Rinkside
Yes and don't forget Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy. I think they are stars in the making. Definitely no reason to be pessimistic, whatsoever.
Speaking of which, does anybody know what Wolfkostin's error was? Taking the level down to base was a severe penalty and it's odd that no one seems to have a clue as to what the mistake was.
Just got around to watching the Ljubljana programs. D'A/W are still my favorites but I'm also impressed by W/C. I think they are very strong. Everyone had room for improvement, but most noticeable penalty was given to W/C at the last minute, for a reason no one can identify. Agree it is very odd. I think they would have won. Still love D'A/W's Tarantino program best though!

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes and don't forget Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy. I think they are stars in the making. Definitely no reason to be pessimistic, whatsoever.

Just got around to watching the Ljubljana programs. D'A/W are still my favorites but I'm also impressed by W/C. I think they are very strong. Everyone had room for improvement, but most noticeable penalty was given to W/C at the last minute, for a reason no one can identify. Agree it is very odd. I think they would have won. Still love D'A/W's Tarantino program best though!
Copying this over from the RD thread, since I just got around to listening. The Flutzes and Waxels podcast talked about why Wolfkostin/Chen lost the twizzle levels on their latest episode. Short answer, they think it's totally correct because at some point on each twizzle set Katerina stopped moving forward and spun in place. Which you can't do in twizzles. Since she did it in each set, each one didn't count, hence the base level. They explain it better if people want to check it out, it's at about 1:08 on the episode for this JGP.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also they explained that Natalie lost a twizzle level in the FD because they're going for the arms extended feature, and that requires the arms to be straight at shoulder height, and she lets her arms drop too low for it to count.

Lulu39

Rinkside
think it's totally correct because at some point on each twizzle set Katerina stopped moving forward and spun in place. Which you can't do in twizzles. Since she did it in each set, each one didn't count, hence the base level. They explain it better if people
Interesting. It’s not apparent on the video. Thanks.

Lulu39

Rinkside
Also they explained that Natalie lost a twizzle level in the FD because they're going for the arms extended feature, and that requires the arms to be straight at shoulder height, and she lets her arms drop too low for it to count.
That makes sense.

Lulu39

Rinkside
Copying this over from the RD thread, since I just got around to listening. The Flutzes and Waxels podcast talked about why Wolfkostin/Chen lost the twizzle levels on their latest episode. Short answer, they think it's totally correct because at some point on each twizzle set Katerina stopped moving forward and spun in place. Which you can't do in twizzles. Since she did it in each set, each one didn't count, hence the base level.
I got curious and looked at what Alicia and Mary had to say, then I watched the video again. Have to say I disagree with the sisters, and judges apparently disagreed as well. Don't often see base level given with +3 GOEs. I did see in the podcast comments that someone explained it was a tech issue about a move initially thought to be illegal, which was unfortunately clarified after the event and too late to change. Apparently there is an ISU document now online which explains this.

I watched d'A/W again as well. I'm still not sure where they get their information, but I do see the arms and the loss of one feature makes sense. It wasn't too many points lost there at any rate, and seems pretty easy to fix although what do I know? I just hope they make it to the final if it happens. Strong team.

Shout outs to both these teams for strong performances.

Last edited: