Canada
Japan
Italy
China
Georgia
Germany
Czech Republic
Ukraine

In team contention, with a minimum of 3 disciplines qualified. And Russia, USA, Canada, Japan, China, Georgia, and the Czech Republic all have 4 disciplines qualified!
How do they determine the order of the countries who only qualified in three disciplines?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Button exists:laugh:
And i don't understand how american names' dimunitives work. Why Dick as the dimunitive of Richard?

Here's an article that explains that it came about as early as the 13th century, predating the British army by hundreds of years. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...,Richard were common, such as ‘Ric’ or ‘Rich’.

I just came by to check on the FD, and lo and behold there's this fun sideline going on. I wondered when I was a child how "Betty" became a nickname for Elizabeth in English. Until I saw translations in other languages, meaning "Elizabet" or "Elisabet." Then it made sense, because heaven knows both British people and Americans adopt many things from other languages.

auser

Record Breaker
The thing which has always struck me is that Russian nicknames are unisex, ie Sasha or Zhenya can be male or female. Though very progressive, it adds to the confusion as to who is who
Keeping track of which Sasha and Zhenya is which has been a source of confusion for me lately.:LOL: *blushes with embarrassment*

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I remember a competition where there were three Nastya G's and another Nastya, Russians apparently are quite conservative when choosing names and stick with what they know
That why i usually call them by their surname. There are armies of Sofia, Daria, Elizaveta and Anastasiia in Russian ladies thread.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It was quite a nailbitter at the end...
Have to say that Maria/Georgy made the biggest impression on me today - the program has a certain *itch* about it and sort of mystery, catching the eye & interest. Saying that, I think it needs mileage to grow to its full potential - today's premiere of it was understandable rather cautiously looking and I feel they were nervous (as this was 1st outing and fighting fir that Olympic spot) which showed into performance overall. The lifts were an absolute highlight, especially ones in combination: great with the music and with flair about them.
I am not the biggest fan of the music or theme/aesthetic they chose, BUT - I always respect a team not being afraid of taking stylistic risks and submit to certain quirk music gives you. I feel that Maria and Georgy are one of few teams now that are very particular about their material and not being afraid to commit to the music, regardless how weird it may seem to the general audience. With work done on it, I feel it could become sort of signature for them.

Muller/Dieck...My main issue with them is too much gimmick/literal translation of the piece/theme chosen for their program. That Bodyguard OST FD could do without that voiceovers or gunshot sound effect plus I wish they would iron the choreography better - right now the storytelling part looks more prominent for me than whole program design. I wish also that the program would rely only on 'Run to you' and 'Queen of the night', but it's just my preference.

Taschlers...I don't know about this FD. Love their RD to bits, but this FD looks uneven, half-cooked for me. I sort of wish they went in more Jazz/Tango fusion type of program, some styling with inverted suits etc. - right now it looks in-between stylistically, expression-wise and design-wise imho. Yes, I see that their speed and notion of *skating big* is showcased pretty well there, but I just miss something about the whole thing, some sort of centerpoint or element of surprise which I believe they could pull off quite well.

Congratulations to Juulia & Matthias for the win & clinching thst Olympic spot! I am not the biggest enthusiast of this type of lyrical programs from various pieces patched together, but what I always enjoy in their performances is utter commitment to it and how attentive they both are towards not only execution, but expression and flow going on between them. Lifts were gorgeous, light and effortless. I also loved how Juulia seemed to enjoy the moment of performance :)

Lulu39

Rinkside
It was quite a nailbitter at the end...
Have to say that Maria/Georgy made the biggest impression on me today - the program has a certain *itch* about it and sort of mystery, catching the eye & interest. Saying that, I think it needs mileage to grow to its full potential - today's premiere of it was understandable rather cautiously looking and I feel they were nervous (as this was 1st outing and fighting fir that Olympic spot) which showed into performance overall. The lifts were an absolute highlight, especially ones in combination: great with the music and with flair about them.
I am not the biggest fan of the music or theme/aesthetic they chose, BUT - I always respect a team not being afraid of taking stylistic risks and submit to certain quirk music gives you. I feel that Maria and Georgy are one of few teams now that are very particular about their material and not being afraid to commit to the music, regardless how weird it may seem to the general audience. With work done on it, I feel it could become sort of signature for them.
I agree, they are so intriguing and stylish. I enjoyed their FD much more than RD.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Have to go through this document myself - https://www.isu.org/docman-document...tion-systems-3/22994-figure-skating-v1-0/file Will be doing so much closer to the actual event.
I just looked at the document, and it looks like the teams are determined according to an elaborate points system.

Here's the quick and dirty summary. Anyone is welcome to correct or clarify this.
  • Points are awarded for the top result(s) for the country in each discipline (similar to the points used in world standings and rankings).
  • Two events can earn points: Worlds 2021 (and alternates like JR worlds and Europeans if there are no Worlds points) and GP series including GPF (and alternate JGP but not including JGPF)
  • There is a hierarchy of events, so if country A earns any GP points in a discipline, those will count, even if the country has an entry in the JGP in that discipline with more points. This rule hurt AUS in 2018.
I don't see anything about countries qualifying individual skaters in 4 disciplines having preference over those who qualify individual skaters in only 3 disciplines. It looks like it is purely "total number of points". Of course, it is harder to get points if you get few or none from one discipline, but as far as I can see, it's only the points that count.

In 2018, someone posted a document, that they updated after each event, showing the countries point totals. It was very interesting, but a LOT of work for the poster. I wish I could remember who it was, so I could give them a big :thank:.

---------------------------

This year, qualification for the team event is moot, as only 10 countries qualified in 3 or 4 disciplines, and there are 10 entries in the team event.

in 2018, 13 countries qualified in 3 or more disciplines, so the 3 with the smallest number of qualifying points got left out. ISR, with 3 entries, qualified ahead of KOR, with 4 entries. AUS just missed out perhaps because they only got points for the JGP and not the larger number of points they would have gotten in the JGPF had counted.

2018 team qualification

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Imagine choreographing this and thinking it was fit to see the light of day.
Seriously this is a dreadful program. Dated as heck, it's never going to stand up to the rest of the field. Doesn't suit their style either (would it suit anyone's?). When I think how much I enjoyed Mueller/Dieck's wonderfully weird FD 2 seasons ago, I am shaking my head in disbelief.

Last edited: