2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Pairs Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Pairs Short Program

pearly

Record Breaker
So for Olympics it looks pretty solid for Georgia and Spain, ok for China and then a tight race between Belarus, Israel and Netherlands?
I think it's just three spots for pairs.

Editing to confirm spots available at Nebelhorn:

Women: 6
Men: 7
Dance: 4
Pairs: 3

In the past a country was able to sent an additional entry to the team event in case there weren't 10 countries qualified with full teams. We might see a skater/team from a country that did not secure a spot compete in the team event unless the rules changed.

pearly

Record Breaker
Can I just say that the music selected for the Nebelhorn/Oberstdorf promo really does not suit the images shown. Cows happily grazing by the road and tourists window shopping with Requiem for a Dream soundrack type of intensity?

pearly

Record Breaker
Is it possible that there might be less than 10 countries that qualify for the team event?
I really don't remember how the points were determined but yes. Last year I know for sure Israel did not qualify a woman, only a man, pair and ice dance couple. There weren't ten countries total with full teams qualified so Israel was next in line and they were allowed to send a woman but only to the team event. She could not compete in the individual ladies event.

Bottom line - there will be ten teams in the team event even if there aren't ten countries with skaters qualified for every discipline.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Petranovic/Souza Kordeiru are a fast team with a lot of explosive power, great height and pop on their twist, and very good lifts. But they messed up at Worlds, and needed to do well at Nebelhorn to qualify a spot in pairs for the Olympics. I thought they skated well. The 3-twist was well-executed, except for the set down looking slightly awkward, but nothing major. It seemed as if Lana's head didn't get down far enough in the death spiral, and she double-footed (maybe underrotated the sbs jump), but otherwise they skated well. P/SK are always an exciting team to watch because of their speed and power, but it doesn't look like the judges like them, perhaps because they could do more aesthetically, and they could use fine-tuning and polishing overall, with greater consistency on the elements. Still, some of the other teams ahead of them had a lot of issues too (the Italian team had a fall on a throw; and they or another of the teams ahead of P/SK only had a 2-twist). Still, the judges seemed to prefer a few of those teams over P/SK, as can be seen in the marks.

If the standings remain as is, I guess Georgia and Spain win Olympic spots in pairs for their country. Wang/Huang of China would get the third spot available (making 3 pairs for China) if the current standings don't change. I don't think Wang/Huang are very interesting. Some of their elements are okay, yet they are fairly inconsistent, and don't have much to help them stand out.

I noticed that Hase/Seegert used Calalang/Johnson's former fp music for their sp, and skated very well to it. And Wang/Huang of China were clearly inspired by Liu/O'Shea's exciting leg wrap around the male partner's neck. ;) Liu/O'Shea do that move best, and with multiple revolutions.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
Petranovic/Souza Kordeiru are a fast team with a lot of explosive power, great height and pop on their twist, and very good lifts. But they messed up at Worlds, and needed to do well at Nebelhorn to qualify a spot in pairs for the Olympics. I thought they skated well. The 3-twist was well-executed, except for the set down looking slightly awkward, but nothing major. It seemed as if Lana's head didn't get down far enough in the death spiral, and she double-footed (maybe underrotated the sbs jump), but otherwise they skated well. P/SK are always an exciting team to watch because of their speed and power, but it doesn't look like the judges like them, perhaps because they could do more aesthetically, and they could use fine-tuning and polishing overall, with greater consistency on the elements. Still, some of the other teams ahead of them had a lot of issues too (the Italian team had a fall on a throw; and they or another of the teams ahead of P/SK only had a 2-twist). Still, the judges seemed to prefer a few of those teams over P/SK, as can be seen in the marks.

If the standings remain as is, I guess Georgia and Spain win Olympic spots in pairs for their country. Wang/Huang of China would get the third spot available (making 3 pairs for China) if the current standings don't change. I don't thing Wang/Huang are very interesting. Some of their elements are okay, yet they are fairly inconsistent with not a lot that helps them stand out.

I noticed that Hase/Seegert used Calalang/Johnson's former fp music for their sp, and skated very well to it. And Wang/Huang of China were clearly inspired by Liu/O'Shea's exciting leg wrap around the male partner's neck. ;) Liu/O'Shea do that move best, and with multiple revolutions.
Lana has issues with SBS jumps and I can't remember the last time she landed a triple. She used to land a 2A so I don't know why they don't put that in the program instead of a triple. Had they done that at worlds, they most likely would have qualified for the free and earned the spot. I'm not sure they will go on after this season, they don't seem to like skating together very much. Antonio looks like he really enjoys what he is doing. She not so much.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lana has issues with SBS jumps and I can't remember the last time she landed a triple. She used to land a 2A so I don't know why they don't put that in the program instead of a triple. Had they done that at worlds, they most likely would have qualified for the free and earned the spot. I'm not sure they will go on after this season, they don't seem to like skating together very much. Antonio looks like he really enjoys what he is doing. She not so much.
That could just be Lana's personality or her facial expressions. She does seem like the weaker link technically. Maybe she's unhappy about not doing better and not steadily improving. Or, that the judges never seem to be in their favor too much, even when they have skated fairly well. They do have some striking elements, including pop and height on 3-twist and good lifts. But they aren't consistently clean.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't break up after 2021 Worlds. Lana seemed very visibly upset at Worlds, almost angry. Of course, Antonio was unhappy too. I would guess that their coaches and/or her federation persuaded them to stay together. But if they aren't going to improve, there's not much use in staying together. Antonio seems to be very strong and fairly skilled on the elements, so seemingly he should search for another partner who has better jumping abilities.

With his last name and being born in Moscow, I wonder whether Antonio's father is Hispanic, Brazilian, etc., and perhaps his mother is Russian? Maybe he could pair with a talented young lady from Spain, or another country in Europe, such as France, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Finland, who knows.