2021 NHK Trophy: Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy: Free Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What rendition of Rach 2 mvnt 2 is this? I hear electric guitar? The music cut at the end was unnecessary.... just stick to Rach 2 FFS!

The SBS lunge/slide move was lovely though, a move I wish Mishina/Galliamov would copy. :p
they have added some sort of violin to reinforce the melody.. it's awful.. and then the Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini.. just to have a step sequence... bad choice iMHO

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Thought that Sinitsina/Katsalapov had solid elements, especially the twizzles and general speed. But I wasn't really feeling the entire piece, that the concept was lacking. It was a string of strong technical elements without a particular theme as a whole (perhaps I'm missing something?). Anyway, I enjoyed the first half far more than the second.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Fanciest pipe I ever saw...
Now that 4everchan has mentioned that, I kind of see it, the silvery gray with the wave like pattern. My first thought would have been lizard, or fish. But taken together with his Buzz Lightyear look, I do see space/UFO/Area 51

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now that 4everchan has mentioned that, I kind of see it, the silvery gray with the wave like pattern. My first thought would have been lizard, or fish. But taken together with his Buzz Lightyear look, I do see space/UFO/Area 51
Madi mentioned that she was inspired by scales on lizards but more by fish and how their fins undulate and look weighless. She felt that was the alien look. Something must be done with the stones. I think Evan keeps getting cut on the moves where he swings Madi around his neck.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some quick comments. I thought this was Chock and BAtes moment. S/K really are not prepared, their programs need more concept and more work or new programs. I was really surprised they didn't seize the opportunity but good on S/K despite injury not looking so bad at all but PC have it. I might have switched the Canadians for bronze but it is hard when the Brits and Spain have waited so patiently and are good in their own right. LALA are young and who knows with some retirements and time. As for the battle of the Japanese teams. I see or sense a Diana Davis situation here. Dai is a National hero and a wonderful skater but some of the strength moves ie lifts and such are a bit dodgy. I kind of feel sorry for the other Japanese teams. They worked so hard and now Dai will get the spot to th eolympics and earn another olympc medal - team bronze most likely but who knows silver. but dance is by far their weakest. They could even podium in all other events. and I guess take gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
S/K obviously deserved the win here but they were fortunate C/B had the fall. I’m also assuming that’s how S/K got PCS even higher than Worlds because this FD is so generic and safe and doesn’t look like it challenges their abilities. Some of the lifts also looked pretty awkward although there were some nice highlights like the slide. They are so much better than this but this does not match the creativity/conceptual nature of C/B’a program and certainly pales in comparison to the French. In a final flight it will be painfully obvious that the French have the better vehicles and are the better skaters.

C/B have so much potential with this FD but I think their RD is their strongpoint and last year’s FD is better. Very cool concept though and the movements are thematic and have great musicality.

F/G were standouts and happy for their second GP medal and muuuch better showing compared to Skate Canada! Although their twizzles should have been marked down more - he clearly stumbled and broke the rhythm in the first set. I am still very glad they beat H/K though and skating right after them really emphasized how much more energy, intricate elements, and better interpretation and range of body movements they have. If they can manage clean twizzles in both programs they could potentially crack 200 points at the Olympics.

Not sure why the Eurosport commentator was gushing over H/K either - IMO her dress was a tad hookerish and their program was a snooze until the last minute when they got into it. Smart/Díaz were a bit robbed by these two last Olympics and there’s politics in Spanish ice dancing but H/K picked a bad FD as a vehicle.

L/L were lovely too and kept the energy up. They were certainly one of the cleaner teams.

M/T were so great! Their improvement is leaps and bounds and I’m sad they will likely retire after this season because they have lots of potential. Takahashi jumps some of his turns still but he’s much more confident and secure especially in the lifts. I feel bad that M/K might lose out on another Olympics but they are currently being outskated.

A bit of a messy event - who would have thought the men’s SP would be cleaner than the free dance! :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Madi mentioned that she was inspired by scales on lizards but more by fish and how their fins undulate and look weighless. She felt that was the alien look. Something must be done with the stones. I think Evan keeps getting cut on the moves where he swings Madi around his neck.

Hah Madi strikes me as a bit of a diva (in a good way) and Evan is just a poor shmuck who is along for the ride - even if it means rhinestone lacerations.

“Evan, I designed these dresses and they’re staying as is. If the rhinestones are cutting into your neck then you need to have thicker skin — not me have fewer rhinestones!” :laugh:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hah Madi strikes me as a bit of a diva (in a good way) and Evan is just a poor shmuck who is along for the ride - even if it means rhinestone lacerations.

“Evan, I designed these dresses and they’re staying as is. If the rhinestones are cutting into your neck then you need to have thicker skin — not me have fewer rhinestones!” :laugh:
That was not the conversation I heard on the podcast. She genuinely felt bad about the costume and Evan was being all tough. She said we have to do something about you getting cut. They are actually very cute with each other. Madi performs like a diva but is actually very sweet sounding.

readernick

Medalist
That was not the conversation I heard on the podcast. She genuinely felt bad about the costume and Evan was being all tough. She said we have to do something about you getting cut. They are actually very cute with each other. Madi performs like a diva but is actually very sweet sounding.
I have to agree. Everyone who knows Madi and Evan says they are both incredibly kind down to earth people, and they both sound like that in their podcast, too. Just nice people, but I do think on the ice Madi is the queen and Evan probably has to suffer to ensure she looks as good as possible.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I like the free skate from M/T free more than rythm, because I felt they didn’t exactly committed to street dance theme that was supposed to be the thing in the free this year.

The rest was business as usual, I think?

I think this Canadian team is the least given to mellow dirges from all Canadian teams, so that stirs national pride in me. Like, I always feel bad about not being able to watch the Canadians.

Also, I feel like Spanish ID is my fav ID with both teams being super cool.