2021 NHK Trophy: Pairs Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy: Pairs Short Program

gold12345

Medalist
Ashley Cain's jump looked under-rotated in real time and on replay to me. Their was no TES drop though so they made out well there. She also made a great save on the throw landing which was very low. It was a good fight. Their twist could be better but they will definitely take that skate after some of their previous SPs.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha, I guess because I didn't see it last year, I really liked it.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ooh this is going to be close. Even with a fall, everything else was so perfect that their TES is still right up there. Interested to see if they'll go ahead or not!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I don't think I ever really watched this team before (yes, I know, world champions, I'm not a pairs devotee): she is absolutely adorable, and he's a charmer too. I really like the choreo, and the peppy ballet.

have they always been like this?
I enjoyed them a lot in their final junior season. Their first senior season was rough, with gloomy programs that didn't suit them at all, but going to Moskovina perked them back up again.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I like t/m a lot more than m/g and b/k. For this year at least. This sp has p/c moonlight vibes to me

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'm always sighing when T/M are like half way into the lift during the 'trills' portion of the music. Can't they put the lift somewhere else in the program? Daniil G you are killing me.

TES with the fall is still higher than Miura/Kihara, wow.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Ashley Cain's jump looked under-rotated in real time and on replay to me. Their was no TES drop though so they made out well there. She also made a great save on the throw landing which was very low. It was a good fight. Their twist could be better but they will definitely take that skate after some of their previous SPs.
I was surprised that the TES held up too. They got lucky. I wonder why they insist on doing that jump since they always have trouble with it.

gold12345

Medalist
Tarasova rushed her jump. T/M's elements really stand out in this field though and they can make up for a big mistake elsewhere. The throw triple loop was exceptional. The class of the field and a deserved 2nd place with a fall. Miura and Kihara's overall element quality can still improve, the elements could be a little bigger.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ashley’s jump looked q to me. Evgenia’s, on the other hand, looked like UR if not a downgrade.

gold12345

Medalist
I was surprised that the TES held up too. They got lucky. I wonder why they insist on doing that jump since they always have trouble with it.

C-G/L have tried both 3Lo and 3S in their SP and have had inconsistencies with both. So maybe they decided to bring back the 3Lo for the slight base value boost. They were very lucky to not get an under-rotation call today; I'm surprised since they always nail Ashley for any hint of an UR. At the very least it deserved a "q". A couple judges even gave the jump 0 instead of negative GOE, so the panel was definitely kind here.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only just now realized Tarasova/Morozov were attempting to recreate the Pygmalion story on ice due to seeing the title of one of their pieces of music... And I saw them in Vegas. :palmf:

gold12345

Medalist
I am sorry, that program Tarasova and Morozov leaves me cold. No joy on the ice. Sooo workmanlike.

The program definitely isn't meant to be joyful. But they don't really show joy on the ice in any program... they approach everything in a rather cold way. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I really appreciate the quality of their pair skating-- that is why I enjoy watching them, not because I expect them to give a charismatic performance.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So I rewound the stream on the subway and watched the first group, some thoughts overall now that I'm caught up:

- Britney should sue the person who did that Toxic cover
- Poor W/M, that was their scariest twist ever and that is saying something
- M/K are goooooooood (esp. SBS spins)
- Again, H/S :( :(
- C-G/L have beautiful lines as always
- Please Sasha Galliamov ditch the scarf
- T/M... Such wonderful pair elements, such a boring program (le sigh)

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I don't think I ever really watched this team before (yes, I know, world champions, I'm not a pairs devotee): she is absolutely adorable, and he's a charmer too. I really like the choreo, and the peppy ballet.

have they always been like this?

Well.... prior to Moskvina, they skated to Je Suis Malade like they were waiting for a bus. [™️ @Seven Sisters]

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I like everybody in pairs. Nobody leaves me cold. I just wish clean performances of all. I always get one competition at time and this time I liked the Japanese pair very much, because I missed their short last time and had no time to watch it afterwards.