2021 NHK Trophy - Women: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy - Women: Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the Women's event overall?

I hope Usacheva has a speedy recovery. I had flashbacks of Kerri Strug when she was carried out of the arena.

Very excited for Sakamoto. She's been able to get a ton of rink time for practice this season and it's paying off! Here's hoping she can stay consistent!

Last edited:

Hadassa

Rinkside
I was so happy to se japanese women on the podium but I really missed the Russian Girls. I actually did not wacth the competition beacuse it was too early in the morning and my favorites were not there. I congratulate the winners though. I hope no more Russian ladies get injured.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“It’s about a woman’s strength, internal strength, that is hidden within,” explained Sakamoto. “I hope people can sense that through my skating. I asked Benoit to work with me on the choreography as it was really challenging.”
I'm warming up to this program. She took a risk using music she wasn't comfortable with for the Olympic season, so kudos to her!

Azikin

Medalist
I'm happy Kaori won.. who'd have thought before the season?...
I'm happy Young You got two medals (!!!) at GP, after quite a bad streak...
I'm sad about injuries and also about comments about Eteri group, while there are many other currently injured skaters...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It was overshadows by Usacheva’s on the screen and right before the competition injury, but I was super happy to see Sakomoto and You medal, but bummed that You missed both of her 3A. At least she was judged better than the last time she had skated at NHK. And grats to Kawabe on 3A and silver! Bummed that Liu didn’t medal, to me her programs were the most fun after Sakomoto.

The competition wasn’t as exciting as it would have been if 3 skaters were not injured, and the decision not to replace them where possible was made. It thinned the diversity and interest even further. It lacked the scale of a proper GP event because of that.

Last edited:

Zora

On the Ice
I think Kaori's program is perfect for her. I'm so tired of hearing all the time how she is just an athletic skater, not an artistic one, especially from German commentators. Is it because she does not have a ballerina body type? Instead, other skaters who are worryingly thin get praised because they are like fairies on ice, even if they're not more artistic than her. I also love her dress, it accentuates her strength. Actually, both dresses.

I'm so happy for Mana, I think the thing she lacks most is self-confidence and I hope this medal will help her realize how good she is.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Midori Ito also had a lot of comments back in the day regarding her "athletic" stature. I think that folks in general get caught up with the "waif" body type because that's what's mostly broadcasted on the television networks.

I really enjoyed watching Sakamoto and seeing not only the physical, but mental strength she put out on the ice at this event. I'm very proud of her!

dearskate

Rinkside
Country
Scotland
I was so happy to se japanese women on the podium but I really missed the Russian Girls. I actually did not wacth the competition beacuse it was too early in the morning and my favorites were not there. I congratulate the winners though. I hope no more Russian ladies get injured.
Go to the ISU Youtube page and you can see it now. You might find some new favourites.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Kaori's combo in the SP was crazy!!!! She looked like a helium balloon flying away that needed to be yanked back into the rink. There was a split second where I had this illogical thought that she was just going to fly out of the building.

Young You is really expressive now!!!! I was shocked!!!!! I've always enjoyed her because she's so statuesque but she's become so much more animated in her programs too!

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think Kaori's program is perfect for her. I'm so tired of hearing all the time how she is just an athletic skater, not an artistic one, especially from German commentators. Is it because she does not have a ballerina body type? Instead, other skaters who are worryingly thin get praised because they are like fairies on ice, even if they're not more artistic than her. I also love her dress, it accentuates her strength. Actually, both dresses.

I'm so happy for Mana, I think the thing she lacks most is self-confidence and I hope this medal will help her realize how good she is.
I think many people that say Kaori is athletic are just being kind. It has nothing to do with body type. It has to do with her obvious weaknesses in the artistic/presentation side. As strong as her skating skills are, her weaknesses on the artistic side are just as obvious. Her lack of musicality, stiff upper body, poor posture and carriage, and lack of grace to the point of almost being awkward should all be big negatives for her PCS scores, but are usually overlooked. Other Japanese skaters such as Satoko and Wakaba are also strong with skating skills, but with excellent artistic/presentation skills. Yet they are regularly much more underscored than Kaori. While Kaori deserves her victories primarily because of her jumping consistency, she shouldn't receive inflated scores because of it. In the SP here, Mana skated just as clean but with a beautiful 3A. PCS and GOE should have helped Kaori close the gap some, but no way put her 3 points ahead.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think many people that say Kaori is athletic are just being kind. It has nothing to do with body type. It has to do with her obvious weaknesses in the artistic/presentation side. As strong as her skating skills are, her weaknesses on the artistic side are just as obvious. Her lack of musicality, stiff upper body, poor posture and carriage, and lack of grace to the point of almost being awkward should all be big negatives for her PCS scores, but are usually overlooked. Other Japanese skaters such as Satoko and Wakaba are also strong with skating skills, but with excellent artistic/presentation skills. Yet they are regularly much more underscored than Kaori. While Kaori deserves her victories primarily because of her jumping consistency, she shouldn't receive inflated scores because of it. In the SP here, Mana skated just as clean but with a beautiful 3A. PCS and GOE should have helped Kaori close the gap some, but no way put her 3 points ahead.
Maybe the other points come from flirting with the judges. Or threatening to cut them with her skate. Haha

I call her an athlete, not to be kind, but because she indeed is a thoroughbred. You look at her and know she could play any sport she wanted, but we are blessed to have this bundle of sunshine in this sport.

As for her “inflated scores” there is such a thing as the Kaori Bonus. It’s in the rule book. Haha

Joekaz

On the Ice
Maybe the other points come from flirting with the judges. Or threatening to cut them with her skate. Haha

I call her an athlete, not to be kind, but because she indeed is a thoroughbred. You look at her and know she could play any sport she wanted, but we are blessed to have this bundle of sunshine in this sport.

As for her “inflated scores” there is such a thing as the Kaori Bonus. It’s in the rule book. Haha
She is indeed a fun skater to watch.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Indeed. If only she had 3A’s and quads, she would be scoring in the 400’s. Haha
In a light hearted way, you are hitting my point. Much like many of the top Russians, I don't take issue with her victories, but rather her scores, particularly in domestic events. .As a consequence, many fans of other Japanese skaters feel the same way about the overscoring of Sakamoto that many others feel about the Russians.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Personally, I find Sakomoto way more artistically expressive than Miyahara, who is just so bland and doesn’t really do it for me at all performance wise. I usually give up 20 seconds in, but I watch Sakomoto to the end. Even after watching both of them live at Skate America, I haven’t seen anything in particular to admire about Miyahara. Sakomoto 100% draws me in.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

I think it has more to do with the way she moves. Kawabe and Higuchi have similar body types to Kaori, but I find their presentation more refined. You definitely don't have to be thin to have balletic lines and posture.
Also Benoit's choreo contributes to this impression, because it's more contemporary.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a light hearted way, you are hitting my point. Much like many of the top Russians, I don't take issue with her victories, but rather her scores, particularly in domestic events. .As a consequence, many fans of other Japanese skaters feel the same way about the overscoring of Sakamoto that many others feel about the Russians.
Hmm, guess now is not the time to tell you that I don’t mind if Kaori gets an extra point here and there.

In a purely judged sport, there are official components and unofficial components. Kaori is likable so she gets leeway. Notice nobody complaining about her scores actually attacks her. There is a reason for that.

Yes, I know. That’s not supposed to be part of the scoring, but don’t kill the messenger.

With some skaters, you just round up. Haha

And yes, it’s easy for me to say since my favorite here is not on the short end of the stick. I probably wouldn’t rationalize it if the shoe was on the other foot. I readily admit that I’m biased and that the scoring continues like this.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Hmm, guess now is not the time to tell you that I don’t mind if Kaori gets an extra point here and there.

In a purely judged sport, there are official components and unofficial components. Kaori is likable so she gets leeway. Notice nobody complaining about her scores actually attacks her. There is a reason for that.

Yes, I know. That’s not supposed to be part of the scoring, but don’t kill the messenger.

With some skaters, you just round up. Haha

And yes, it’s easy for me to say since my favorite here is not on the short end of the stick. I probably wouldn’t rationalize it if the shoe was on the other foot. I readily admit that I’m biased and that the scoring continues like this.
Everbody in skating is biased. Lol