2021 NHK Trophy: Women's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy: Women's Free Skate

slider11

Medalist
I think this is a learning year for Alyssa.
She gains experience and learns where she needs to improve and knowing her, she will get to work.
I really like where Alysa is. She is a 16-year-old young woman who looks healthy and is enjoying her skating. This may not be her cycle to shine but she has a bright future. I am much more encouraged by her future than that of poor Dara who was carried off the ice looking so frail and exhausted.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like where Alysa is. She is a 16-year-old young woman who looks healthy and is enjoying her skating. This may not be her cycle to shine but she has a bright future. I am much more encouraged by her future than that of poor Dara who was carried off the ice looking so frail and exhausted.
I agree. I just think she is being over hyped in the US as a medal contender when that seems very unlikely and unfair pressure to put on her. I think she has a great future.

lady_bee

Medalist
This is a rough translation of the winner interview.
Since I am not good enough to be a translator, I can’t translate directly, and also there must be some mistakes here and there, as you can see. Please don't paste it anywhere.

Q:I saw tears in your eyes, how do you feel now?
A: In this competition, my goal was to have two clean skate. I ‘ve been working hard since SA, so I am happy that I didn’t have major mistake here.

Q: When you got out of the link, you said “I was scared”. What kind of pressure you were feeling during the performance?
A: I was very nervous today, and my (first) 2A was little tilted, but anyway I am grad I was able to hold back.]

Q: How could switch yourself from that (nervousness from minor 2A mistake)?
A: At the half of the program, I suddenly felt it was going on like my daily practice and did fine 3-3, then I got momentum.

Q: This is the NHK trophy in Olympic season. Is this result will help you to build up your confidence?
A: Since I was frustrated by loosing SA medal because of small mistakes in spins & steps, I am happy to win this NHK trophy.

Q: You have great possibility to qualify GPF. How do you think?
A: GPF is one of factors of Olympic selection, It is important to show consistency in each competition. I think there is a still room to grow in both of my programs, so I want blushing up my performance and improve PB.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Its not just about perception, height and flow are actual GOE bullets.
Actually, it is. A couple years back when the Japanese introduced the camera that measured speed, height and span of the jump, there was no correlation between GoE assigned to the jump and the actual height/span/speed into the jump, except for Hanyu, who did jump higher than others by a good 10 cm. So, no, GoE is not based on objective measurement, it’s a pure perception of the jump. Interstingly, that camera with measurements was never brought back again. The skating maps that reflected speed and coverage also disappeared.

Figure skating judging never was, never will be objective, metric based, and the attempts at it are short-lived and watered down.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
I was expecting it here and hoping the technology will take off and start being factored into GoE and a couple of components scores to balance out human subjectivity
Yes, I do wonder if this type of data will be used in the future. I suspect that the reason it hasn't caught on yet is due to cost. Only in Japan, is figure skating popular enough right now and profitable enough right now to invest in such technology. The ISU may not want NHK to use technology that isn't available at other events . Of course, figure skating is also popular in Russia but the RF may have personal reasons for not being interesting in such technology.