2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy | Golden Skate

2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The entries for the Peggy Fleming Trophy have been announced.

From the website:
The focus of the event is the skater’s ability to artistically express and present a complete composition while demonstrating superb technical skills. The music, creativity and overall performance qualities are the emphasis of the competition, and all skating elements are assessed from an artistic point of view.

There are 19 entries. Senior level Men and Ladies will compete together and against each other for the Trophy. Each skater will record their 3:30 minute +/- 10 sec. performance at their home ice arena and then digitally upload it to a U.S. Figure Skating platform for evaluation by a world-class group of officials.

Entries: (alphabetical order)

1. Starr Andrews
2. Maxine Marie Bautista
3. Jason Brown
4. Karen Chen
5. Julia Fennell
6. Courtney Hicks
7. Sonja Hilmer
8. Tomoki Hiwatashi
9. Pooja Kalya
10. Isabeau LeVito
11. Alysa Liu
12. Jordan Moeller
13. Yaroslav Panoit
14. Camden Pulkinen
15. Emmanuel Savary
16. Audrey Shin
17. Bradie Tennell
18. Andrew Torgashev
19. Sierra Venetta

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can Jason rework Sinnerman to meet the PFT requirements? If so, just let him keep the Trophy, no need to even let Peggy touch it again:laugh:

But Andrew T. is entered, I'll be excited to see what he does:hap10: And Jordan M., is he continuing in competitive skating? Or is he competing under the Tim Dolensky rule?

So many questions :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think Jason would do Sinnerman for this - it's already been out and about on the competitive circuit. Plus, if they're already reworking Sinnerman to make it better and include the 4S, a side-by-side rework for PFT seems like asking for trouble for someone who's admitted previously he can struggle learning choreo.

I think it's much more likely we'll see a new Jason ex for this.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am looking forward to this. Last year you could watch the programmes all over the World, so I'm hoping 'across the pond' we can watch again. I enjoyed the skating a lot, although I didn't really 'get' the scoring (although it was obvious that Jason was the winner). What exactly is the Timothy Dolensky rule? Something about being recently retired from competitive skating?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Can Jason rework Sinnerman to meet the PFT requirements? If so, just let him keep the Trophy, no need to even let Peggy touch it again:laugh:

But Andrew T. is entered, I'll be excited to see what he does:hap10: And Jordan M., is he continuing in competitive skating? Or is he competing under the Tim Dolensky rule?

So many questions :)

Jason could skate to "Arcade" (the piece he performed and also choreographed) for the Pivoting through the Pandemic special. His performance starts at around 21:20:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am looking forward to this. Last year you could watch the programmes all over the World, so I'm hoping 'across the pond' we can watch again. I enjoyed the skating a lot, although I didn't really 'get' the scoring (although it was obvious that Jason was the winner). What exactly is the Timothy Dolensky rule? Something about being recently retired from competitive skating?

I made up the rule:laugh: In honor of Tim, who came back only for the PFT. I would have loved to see Sean Rabbitt do the same.

Still, I love the line up.(y)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And Jordan M., is he continuing in competitive skating? Or is he competing under the Tim Dolensky rule? ...

I made up the rule:laugh: In honor of Tim, who came back only for the PFT. ...

Not that it really matters, but I do not see any connection between Jordan Moeller and the so-called Dolensky rule??
(I am a fan of both Jordan 🤗 and Tim 🤗.)

Jordan competed at least four five times in the 2020-21 season: PFT; Colorado Springs Invitational (live in-person event); ISP Points Challenge; and Nationals.
ETA: And U.S. Championship Series, which I originally had forgotten (sorry, Jordan!).​
He is not coming back from an absence.

IIRC, Tim did not compete at all in the 2019-20 season, and then he did "come back" for 2020 PFT.

(At this point in Jordan's career, I do think he probably reassesses after each season -- but IMO, his entry in 2021 PFT just does not seem analogous to Tim's in 2020 PFT.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing Jordan in 2021 PFT ... as well as many others.

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Not that it really matters, but I do not see any connection between Jordan Moeller and the so-called Dolensky rule??
(I am fans of both Jordan 🤗 and Tim 🤗.)

Jordan competed at least four times in the 2020-21 season: PFT; Colorado Springs Invitational (live in-person event); ISP Points Challenge; and Nationals.
He is not coming back from an absence.

IIRC, Tim did not compete at all in the 2019-20 season, and then he did "come back" for 2020 PFT.

(At this point in Jordan's career, I do think he probably reassesses after each season -- but IMO, his entry in 2021 PFT just does not seem analogous to Tim's in 2020 PFT.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing Jordan in 2021 PFT ... as well as many others.
I really enjoyed Jordan’s free skate to “Knives Out” at Nationals. I hope he has kept it!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The scoring for this competition is like any other competition or not?

Peggy Fleming Trophy very intentionally has different program requirements and different scoring from other competitions.
The general idea is that because PFT has an emphasis on artistic expression and composition, its approach is different for BV, for GOE, and for PCS.
The link in the OP has some information. GS threads from past years of PFT have even more detail.

They will eventually rename this event The Jason Brown Trophy, lol.

No offense to Peggy, she is an icon but can't imagine anyone winning this over Jason.

No offense to Jason (and I do believe that your post is lighthearted :)), but I think that the name should remain Peggy Fleming Trophy.
For me, no matter how many times any particular skater wins PFT, it should not be forgotten that Peggy was -- and continues to be -- a hands-on driving force in creating a new event that values artistry over technical content. (Which can be a model for the ISU, if it ever follows through on its preliminary thoughts of restructuring competitions to have separate programs with a technical focus and with an artistic focus.)

As just one example of Peggy's commitment to giving skaters this type of opportunity:
Even in the earlier months of the pandemic, Peggy and Gale Tanger (with help from USFS) made sure that the show would go on.
At least in the U.S., 2020 PFT was groundbreaking as the first high-profile virtual competition.​

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They will eventually rename this event The Jason Brown Trophy, lol.

No offense to Peggy, she is an icon but can't imagine anyone winning this over Jason.

Tee hee.

I'm sure Peggy would see the point and love this post:biggrin: At least while Jason is competing, this event indeed seems tailor made for him. ETA: and that is coming from one of Andrew T.'s biggest fans. ;)

And to answer your query @Laid-Back Enthusiast, here are the requirements from the PFT website:

The Nine Technical Elements:
  • 4 Jump elements (one Axel-type)
  • 3 Spin elements (one Creative Spin)
  • 1 Step Sequence
  • 1 Signature Move
Unique to this event is the “Signature Move” and the “Creative Spin:”
  • Signature Move—A creative move/movement series, or an iconic skating move, jump or spin tailored to your creativity, personal style and strength.
  • Creative Spin—A spin of 6 revolutions or more created with unique positions and design, giving the skater creative identity without limitations of position and features.
And no quads :)

Last edited:
Ice Coverage said:
... Which can be a model for the ISU, if it ever follows through on its preliminary thoughts of restructuring competitions to have separate programs with a technical focus and with an artistic focus.

I agree. The ISU can look at this as a preview of what an "artistic competitive" program might look like. It could give them some information about whether they want to go in that direction or not. We will also see how audiences react.

El Henry said:
4 jump elements.

No quads.

Do the chosen jump elements receive point values following the ISU base values and GOE guidelines?

Are quads strictly forbidden, or just reduced in relative value? I assume that if Nathan CHen entered he could not do a quad as his "Signature Move." But it seems like a skater might regard a quad as an artistic punctuation to a muisical climax, or something like that.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do the chosen jump elements receive point values following the ISU base values and GOE guidelines?

Are quads strictly forbidden, or just reduced in relative value? I assume that if Nathan CHen entered he could not do a quad as his "Signature Move." But it seems like a skater might regard a quad as an artistic punctuation to a muisical climax, or something like that.

I believe they follow in part the ISU scoring practices: There are nine technical elements which have fixed base scoring values. Each element will receive a Grade of Execution (GOE) mark based on the artistic execution of the element in relationship to the program as a whole.

I don't think ISU judges do that, but maybe they should?

Quads are not allowed, per the website. So I guess you could do it as your signature element, but with zero points, so to little avail. ;)

ETA: ISU Forbidden elements are not allowed either. I guess that's the no backflip rule. :)

In terms of publicity and possibly generating an audience for this type of event, Peggy Fleming is the absolute number one most recognized name in U.S. figure skating, even after all these years, more so even than Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan. The only other skater with similar name recognition might be Scott Hamilton.

There could be a two-program competition, the Peggy Fleminmg Trophy and then the Scott Hamilton Trophy. The Scott Hamilton Trophy would be awarded to the program with the highest entertainment value. A skaer like Keegan Messing would shine. Granted, there are many kinds of entertainment -- but then again, there are many kinds of "artistry."