2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That's really kind @CoyoteChris . I am not affected by the flooding at all, but it is very worrying as some friends and family are. In The Netherlands we actually are lucky in the sense that there's 'only' material damage so far. Substantial damage and a lot of people have lost their homes, had to be evacuated, but no dead. In neighbouring Belgium and Germany people are worse off with quite a number of dead, and loads of missing people. Harrowing.

And yeah, it would be so great to have competitions with seats again. I hope you're able to go!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, since I couldn't watch in sort-of real time I skipped straight to Andrew and haven't seen anyone else yet:laugh:

So lovely to see that nuanced skating, the spins, and I guess the "Flying Torg" is actually called a "reverse butterfly". So so happy to see him on the ice again.

But, ...that music :eek:Maybe I could tolerate another "emo boy tries to emulate soul" tune, especially for Andrew. Then I looked up the lyrics. "I've got a rope around my neck and my hands tied behind my back." Whaaaat?

Perhaps it will grow on me:pray:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, since I couldn't watch in sort-of real time I skipped straight to Andrew and haven't seen anyone else yet:laugh:

So lovely to see that nuanced skating, the spins, and I guess the "Flying Torg" is actually called a "reverse butterfly". So so happy to see him on the ice again.

But, ...that music :eek:Maybe I could tolerate another "emo boy tries to emulate soul" tune, especially for Andrew. Then I looked up the lyrics. "I've got a rope around my neck and my hands tied behind my back." Whaaaat?

Andrew did well … I enjoyed his performance but it’s Cobi… angst-ridden tho I think Andrew loves his music. You should hear his Prophet Story.. might have suited better

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved Liu (1 h 14 min) and Levito....
Wow. This may be the greatest transformation of a skater I've ever seen in such a short while.

She barely resembles the skater we saw at Nationals, and is a COMPLETELY different skater than the year previous.

It's the first time I've ever felt anything when I've watched her, other than a grudging nod at her jumping ability. If she can incorporate the harder jumps and still maintain this kind of flow and energy, it will be something to see.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I loved Andrew (of course). :) I'll always enjoy watching him skate. I was excited about watching Alysa because of the improvement we saw at Nationals but I didn't expect a skate like THIS!!! WOW!!!! I barely recognized her!! What a surprise!!!!!

Isabeau and Karen were both lovely but my favorites of the night were Andrew and Alysa! :clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, I'm back after watching other skaters (not all, but selected. A few thoughts....)

Tomoki:clap: After Andrew T., my fav of the night. Of course, his split jumps are the way into my heart, but the choreo was non-stop, and intriguing, and attention getting, which is the whole point of PFT, right?

I really liked Camden too, although I can't stand the song "Dream On". I hated it in the 70s and I hate it now. I was so grateful for the change in tone *and* tune that I really enjoyed the "Walk This Way" portion.

Of the top three, I guess I was most impressed by Isabeau Levito, if only because I don't think I had ever seen her skate. So very elegant. She really presented a "program". And she's a junior? :cool:

I liked Alysa, she certainly had choreo to spare and not just jumps.

Karen Chen and On Golden Pond, Just not fair to the rest of the performers.;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's really kind @CoyoteChris . I am not affected by the flooding at all, but it is very worrying as some friends and family are. In The Netherlands we actually are lucky in the sense that there's 'only' material damage so far. Substantial damage and a lot of people have lost their homes, had to be evacuated, but no dead. In neighbouring Belgium and Germany people are worse off with quite a number of dead, and loads of missing people. Harrowing.

And yeah, it would be so great to have competitions with seats again. I hope you're able to go!
It would seem everyone has some sort of natural weather/geologic bugaboo to be afraid of....drought, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods....for us here in the semi arid area of the western US, its fire. I do the best I can on my 15 acres keeping the trees thinned and trimmed and the grass wacked short. You stay safe over there! I will have good thoughts for those who were flooded so bad.....
yard 1.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ok, I'm back after watching other skaters (not all, but selected. A few thoughts....)

Tomoki:clap: After Andrew T., my fav of the night. Of course, his split jumps are the way into my heart, but the choreo was non-stop, and intriguing, and attention getting, which is the whole point of PFT, right?

I really liked Camden too, although I can't stand the song "Dream On". I hated it in the 70s and I hate it now. I was so grateful for the change in tone *and* tune that I really enjoyed the "Walk This Way" portion.

Of the top three, I guess I was most impressed by Isabeau Levito, if only because I don't think I had ever seen her skate. So very elegant. She really presented a "program". And she's a junior? :cool:

I liked Alysa, she certainly had choreo to spare and not just jumps.

Karen Chen and On Golden Pond, Just not fair to the rest of the performers.;)
As I was watching Levito, US JR. Champ, I was thinking she skates like a Russian. Then I looked at her coaches! LOL! https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/isabeau-levito/393

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow 20 seconds in and i can already see how much faster and more powerful Alysa is compared even to Nationals. Damn she was roaring down the ice like Gracie circa 2012. Well maybe not that fast but worlds faster then she was before and with so much better flow too. Jeremy has to be the reason why she's made so much improvements on her speed and skating skills. Now if someone can work on Isabeau's speed and skating skills too Alysa shows you can improve quickly but now is the time for Levito if she wants to compete with the Russian and Japanese girls on the JGP.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
And not only free, you can skip around and rewatch Rusty's monologues!
Warning. Some of the skaters MIGHT appear normal sized and some might appear a bit far away.
Normal
signature move.jpg
far away....
signature move 2.jpg

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I was a bit disappointed to see many programmes that didn't look much different from regular competition, both in terms of elements and choreography. It felt like they just tweaked their competitive programmes a bit and used PFT as a warm-up for the upcoming season (this is almost certainly true for the top 3 skaters).

PFT isn't any old pre-season comp, it's supposed to showcase creativity by freeing skaters from the constraints of normal competition format. Choreographic detail, unique field moves and unusual transitions... basically stuff that IJS doesn't reward or allow room for. Ben Jalovick for instance didn't score well (technical mainly) but I think he was more true to the spirit of this competition. Also, Sonja Hilmer was one of the few female skaters who consciously tried to break the mould - and she choreographed her own programme (plus another in this comp)! Tomoki and Andrew definitely make the effort to bring something unique to the table too.

Or am I misunderstanding, and is PFT more about 'artistry' than creativity? Food for thought: Can a skater be artistic without being creative?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a Rusty fan but I guess he has a contract w/USFS so they had him host? He wasn't too bad here but I can only take him in small doses.

Anyhoo, onto the skating. Without Jason there competing, it gave others an opportunity but clearly the Team A skaters like Karen, Alysa, Starr, Tomoki, Camden and Andrew were always going to score higher than the Team B skaters. And of course Isabeau, fresh off of her Milwaukee Juniior Cup win made a big impression here. She has such a balletic style that sometimes reminds me of Sasha Cohen. I hope she does well on the JGP and gets a medal or two.

I really liked some of the Team B skaters like Sierra Venetta, who is always so lovely to watch and opportunities like this remind me why I like her so much as well as Maxine Marie Bautista skating to the Alice in Wonderland theme with choreo from Shae-Lynn. I also really liked Courtney Hicks, who is back from surgery and looks in good shape.

As for the top 3, they were all great and I think Karen deserved the win.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And to come back to other B teamers that I enjoy watching:

Sonja with her cantilever: always stunning.

Always love Jordan's skating skills, even if I wasn't quite sure this music (which he likes, I know) was a match for his refinement.

And I do enjoy watching Ben Jalovick, he is a showman, and besides, his intro speech was funny(y)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm not a Rusty fan but I guess he has a contract w/USFS so they had him host? He wasn't too bad here but I can only take him in small doses.

Anyhoo, onto the skating. Without Jason there competing, it gave others an opportunity but clearly the Team A skaters like Karen, Alysa, Starr, Tomoki, Camden and Andrew were always going to score higher than the Team B skaters. And of course Isabeau, fresh off of her Milwaukee Juniior Cup win made a big impression here. She has such a balletic style that sometimes reminds me of Sasha Cohen. I hope she does well on the JGP and gets a medal or two.

I really liked some of the Team B skaters like Sierra Venetta, who is always so lovely to watch and opportunities like this remind me why I like her so much as well as Maxine Marie Bautista skating to the Alice in Wonderland theme with choreo from Shae-Lynn. I also really liked Courtney Hicks, who is back from surgery and looks in good shape.

As for the top 3, they were all great and I think Karen deserved the win.
I wont tell you what I think of Rusty cause I am trying hard to be a bit nicer person than I really am...the older I get, the worse I get!!!
I think maybe at least they have toned him down somewhat.....
I think this could have been a much better comp, even being done virtually.....if the photogs had been better. Putting this on and getting all the prize money and everything was a fair bit of effort.....and then you watch a skater who the camera makes look 200 yards away and there is no way in this world a judge could tell it the landing was good or not on a jump.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

It won't grow on you. He has lovely flow and he's good to look at, but that music and choreo does him no favors at all! You're being very generous.

ana

On the Ice
It was a very interesting and beautiful competition. I really enjoyed it. I hope I will see more competition like this in the future.

Last edited: