2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 Peggy Fleming Trophy

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was a very interesting and beautiful competition. I really enjoyed it. I hope I will see more competition like this in the future.
To make this sort of competition happen and become more important, other sponsors need to come forward with prize money and expenses. If the winner wins $30,000 there will be some really great skaters wanting to compete and upping their artistic game. Peggy planted the seed. Now others need to help the seed grow. It would be very worthwhile, I believe.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It won't grow on you. He has lovely flow and he's good to look at, but that music and choreo does him no favors at all! You're being very generous.

It's Andrew, I don't mind the odd choreo, I expect it. ;)

But the music:eek2:. That is why a skater needs a coach to guide him.
The fact that you, Andrew, as a 20 year old young man like this music in no way. shape or form means it is suitable for skating:(

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's Andrew, I don't mind the odd choreo, I expect it. ;)

But the music:eek2:. That is why a skater needs a coach to guide him.
The fact that you, Andrew, as a 20 year old young man like this music in no way. shape or form means it is suitable for skating:(
I did assume that he was happy with his choreo and it did meet the requirements. In any other competition, it will be presented differently, if at all. But I didn't feel that it showed him off as brilliantly as it could have. The music was a total miss.

I kind of feel that trying to defend this program is similar to defending Jason's Simon and Garfunkle Program. There were reasons for doing it, but it didn't really do anything for Jason from the costume to the choreo. On that one, I happened to like the music, but I would have re-edited this. Andrew's costume was fine. The choreo didn't sell his best traits, I felt. And the music needs to go. Last year's skate was definitely better! Last year he was impressive!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Last year's skate was definitely better! Last year he was impressive!
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Joshua Farris choreograph his programme last year? I'm not sure, but seeing as Andrew's with Raf now I would guess it's not Josh this time. Also, considering his absence from ISP I wonder if he's busy with other things (maybe injury recovery?) so didn't have as much time to focus on this comp.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Joshua Farris choreograph his programme last year? I'm not sure, but seeing as Andrew's with Raf now I would guess it's not Josh this time. Also, considering his absence from ISP I wonder if he's busy with other things (maybe injury recovery?) so didn't have as much time to focus on this comp.
Andrew has been self choreographing for about two to three years now. Last year Josh was his assistant and this year Sam Chouinard. But in the past Andrew truly was the primary choreographer and the others helped polish, not the other way around. I don’t know the system at Raf’s.

(and before that, his mother Ilona Melnichenko was his primary choreographer.:))

and I need to be more positive. I was not thrilled about the Bloodstream music either, and it grew on me. As well as Jason’s “I can’t go on without you“ at first. Whiny emo guys music just rubs me the wrong way. :biggrin:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Whiny emo guys music just rubs me the wrong way. :biggrin:
What about whiny emo teen girls’ music, though? Those programs usually make me wish music with lyrics was still prohibited in singles. Which was not what I would have expected :)

I don’t think the music Torgashev used for the Peggy Fleming event did him any favors, but frankly, I was so excited to see him competing—as opposed to retired or whatever, as I had feared—that I was willing to give him a pass on the music choice.