2021 Rostelecom Cup: Live reports and impressions | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Live reports and impressions

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
This year Rostelecom is in Sochi. It will be held in the famous Iceberg Arena (or "infamous arena" depending on your attitude towards Alina-Yuna story). The second big difference is new entry rules for spectators. One must show QR code of vaccination or a fresh negative PCR test. The second option is sort of OK as it helps those foreigners who do not have Russia's approved Sputnik-V. However, there is a twist in a regular story. Sochi is in Krasnodar region. And Krasnodar region's officials issued a rule that PCR test would work only with a written consent to get a Russian vaccine within 3 days. I have no idea how this will work in this particular case but I hope that those non-Russians who managed to get to Russia won't be denied of entry. I also mean "my friend" from Slovakia (or Slovenia). I just hope that he won't seat just behind me. Last time when it happenned his clapping almost made me deaf. Well, I remember he was a big Stasya's fan. Now that Stasya contemplates other life choices he might skip FS events altogether...

Getting SP tickets from the official seller was not a big issue. May be because it is Sochi, may be because of QR codes, May be because of Hanyu's WD. Center section 7th row seat cost me 4500 rbls. or $60. However, I could buy FP ticket only from black-market dealers for 15000 rbls. or $200. And they sold me not a ticket but the reservation only. Once I received the ticket the month after reservation I found out that they changed the seat. It is still the 5th row. But now it is the seat next to the dividing railing between sectors C2 and C3. I think that the view will be partially blocked. I strongly dislike these guys but what can I do if I want to go to the competition and they got all the tickets?

I am flying to Sochi on Wednesday. My mom lives there so that, as we say in Russia, I shall combine "pleasant and useful".

If anyone goes, please, write here your live impressions. And I will be happy to drink together a glass of Coke (I am not sure that beer will be sold and I shall be behind the wheel, anyway) during intermissions.

Raskolnikov

Rinkside
Country
Russia
I also mean "my friend" from Slovakia (or Slovenia). I just hope that he won't seat just behind me. Last time when it happenned his clapping almost made me deaf. Well, I remember he was a big Stasya's fan. Now that Stasya contemplates other life choices he might skip FS events altogether...
He is a big fan of Maiia. So i'm sure he is going to Sochi if he can

pesto

On the Ice
I am looking forward to this. In previous years, Russian cameramen have got +5GOE, both for the actual skating coverage, and for picking out interesting people and reactions on the sidelines for between the action.

lt should come as a blessed relief after the scrappy efforts these past two weeks.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
If anyone goes, please, write here your live impressions. And I will be happy to drink together a glass of Coke (I am not sure that beer will be sold and I shall be behind the wheel, anyway) during intermissions.
Samkrut, I am just delighted to hear that you will be attending and eagerly await your live reports. I remember laughing out loud at your wonderful reports the last time you went, with all your tales of questionable rink food, logistical challenges, boisterous seatmates, and oh yes, your well-taken observations on the skating itself! Thank you!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am looking forward to this. In previous years, Russian cameramen have got +5GOE, both for the actual skating coverage, and for picking out interesting people and reactions on the sidelines for between the action.

lt should come as a blessed relief after the scrappy efforts these past two weeks.
Boy, am I glad YOU said that....I was trying to watch the jump landings at SkateFrance during the replay and someone thought it was cute to continually speed up and slow down the vid....(where is my tar and feather smile?)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report, Sam. Interesting about the black market....Looks like we shall see a packed arena.....
Attendance was much lighter at SkateAmerica. I had a friend who bought a cheep seat and had no problems moving down to the 4-8th row during the event. The Gala was even less "crowded", perhaps due to some scheduling issues.
Here in Spokane, getting tested is easy if you have symptoms...getting a test to show someone if you want to travel is much harder. I would assume that someone came up with a workaround for the rule that one has to get Sputnik-V within 3 days as I personally dont know of any data about mixing and matching the other vaxxes with Sputnik-V. Maybe someone else does. Keep up the reports!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Thanks for the report, Sam. Interesting about the black market....Looks like we shall see a packed arena.....
Attendance was much lighter at SkateAmerica. I had a friend who bought a cheep seat and had no problems moving down to the 4-8th row during the event. The Gala was even less "crowded", perhaps due to some scheduling issues.
Here in Spokane, getting tested is easy if you have symptoms...getting a test to show someone if you want to travel is much harder. I would assume that someone came up with a workaround for the rule that one has to get Sputnik-V within 3 days as I personally dont know of any data about mixing and matching the other vaxxes with Sputnik-V. Maybe someone else does. Keep up the reports!
I think that 3 day rule applies only to Russian people as it's administered through Gosuslugi site - the universal interface between citizens and the government here. Therefore PCR negative test should be enough to enter the arena.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I‘ve landed in Sochi today and had already a marvellous time. Hope the QR from testing at the airport will be enough to get me in there. I love Russia and I‘m so happy to be back. Sochi gives me the ultimate holiday feeling. Although I very much miss my beloved Moscow and my friends.
Strolling around Olympic Park, my warm-up sightings included Roman Sadovsky and Philip Shvetsky.
If they let me in, I‘ll tell you about my impressions and hoping to continue the tradition of meeting @[email protected] .

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Day 1 (practice sessions)

Men
Poor Matteo had to watch the practice session in the stands because his luggage didn't arrive on time. I heard that he was given time after women's practice.
I didn't see a single clean 4S attempt by Misha and he fell during his runthrough. A 4T and a 3A were mostly fine but I saw some falls. I also saw a nice 3S-3Lo. His SP looks good live.
Mark lands almost everything but a lof ot of his landings were two-footed or something. He also popped some 3As in a row and looked a bit mad about it. He's a strong medal contender imo.
Zhenya was focused on his choreo and step sequence. He did a 3Lo-3Lo two times (the second one was clean). He had a step-out of the first 4S but the rest of his jumps were clean (or maybe I just missed something). I saw a lot of 3As and 3A-Eu-3S combos. Artem Kovalev was right - Zhenya's Axel is something. His runthrough was great. I have to say that he's very very slow. But he has a nice quality of the steps. Now I understand why he gets fourth levels. I think that the speed may improve over time.
Kazuki Tomono is another medal contender. I liked him a lot. Fell on the 3A-2T during runthrough and took it with humor. 4T-3T looks gorgeous!

Pairs
Honestly, this is the perfect event for me because M/G, P/H and K/B are three of my favourite Russian pairs.
M/G had some changes to their FS music. A lot of effects and musical accents have been added. And they are extremely constistent! I don't even remember any serious mistakes.
P/H are in much better shape than in Canada. I saw some 3T-3T-2T attemps (but I don't think that it was fully rotated).
Didn't see a lot of mistakes by K/B but Iasmina fell on the 3S-Eu-3S during their runthrough.
L/M looked very consistent. The only serious mistake that I remember was Audrey's fall on the combo during their runthrough. I think that they're bronze contenders.

Women
Liza checked her most difficult jumps (3A, 3Lz-3T, 2A-Eu-3S and 3F with spiral entry), marked the jumps in her SP runthrough and left the ice. I don't remember any mistakes except one popped Axel. Are Liza's SS very bad? I strongly disagree.
Kamila had a nice start of the practice session. Landed a lot of different things. I think, I saw a 3Lz-3Lo? She fell on the 4S and 3A during runthroung and went clean for the rest. Later, she also had several falls in a row. Looked like she took it with humor. At the end of the practice she landed a clean 4S (I didn't see any other clear attemtps).
Maiia's 4T was 50/50. Other jumps were ok but she messed up the runthrough.
Olya Mikutina had an injury, right? She looked not bad. Her choreo in the SP was great! Looking forward to see her tomorrow. I believe, I saw some 3Lz-3Lo attemps?!
Loena skated her FS with doubles. Triples were fine during practice. She's very consistent.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am late as usual - traffic jams from Sochi to Adler. The second group of men now. Let's start!

Michael Brezina. His skating is smooth but kind of slow. A very nice 3A though. I would score 82-83

Camden Pulkinen. Good lines, good expression towards the end (he looked a bit sleepy in the middle). Nice first 2 jumps. Average spins and speed. I would score 84.

Evgenij Semenenko. The first part was slow and sloppy. Spins are so-so. The steps were quite good though. My score is 79

Michail Kolyada. It was a different class of skating. But jumps... I don't know how to score him. He lost about 20 points. 80 then

Morisi Kvintelashvili. His skating is as awkward as usual. But he covers a lot of ice and he delivered. My score is 91

Matteo Rizzo - wow, I enjoyed his skating. Never paid attention before but I liked him even more than Micha. Too bad he missed the jumps. 3A looked 2footed but I may be wrong. My score is 75 if 3A was 2footed and 80 if not.

OK, men are over. I underscored Morisi and Micha, not sure about Matteo but the rest was almost spot on. I could judge figure skating!

Last edited: