2021 Rostelecom Cup: Women's Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Women's Short Program

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some surprising results in the ladies SP except for #1 and #2. My speculation is that Maiia is fighting an injury. She fell a lot in practice, too and didn't break 200 at the Cup of Warsaw. She could also just be exhausted from competing a lot, but it's not encouraging.

I'm sorry that Loena popped her flip - she has been so consistent but now she might feel competitive pressure to try to repeat another GP medal.

I'm happy Mariah's PCS was much better this week, but her tech content is holding her back. Still 3rd in this field is a good step for her.

Kamila was out of this world - I can't see anyone beating her for OGM at this point in time. And good for Liza - she looked a bit tight but still delivered.

Good for Maddie Schizas as well -I think she will be going to the OG to represent Canada.

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
What a dreadful performance was that from Ryabova.

A nice proof that not everyone can pull off Italian music. :shrug:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loena for some reason had negative body language pre skate.

She looked super nervous, and her skate was probably her worst in 2 seasons.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Olga making her season debut was cool.

These skates aren’t about winning or even being totally clean, they are here to knock off the rust, gets some competitive reps in, and get into game shape.

And I’m assuming the ice cream was props since there was no theft. Unless they plan to steal it after the FS. Haha

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
Loena for some reason had negative body language pre skate.

She looked super nervous, and her skate was probably her worst in 2 seasons.
I had the same impression- Loena was nervous prior skate.
Hopefully she will learn from this experience and will skate lights out in LP

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
In the battle of 3A, i have to give it to Kamila this time. Not because of the rippon, but her better flow and her quickness. Both secure the landing with their backs rather than their knees but Liza was worse.
Anyway, Higuchi's 3A is superior to both :biggrin:

Kamila deserves her TES. It could just have been one point lower because i don't like that delay between the two jumps of her combo. But her edge between the jumps improved.

I don't know why her flip is a bad jump since Kaori jumps it the very same way and everyone applauds.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I thought the 2 leaders scores were inflated, but they were much the best today. Loena got the biggest break from the judges IMO. One thing I don't understand from lots of fans is that many of the same people that say the Russians are overscored in PCS because of lack of artistry, will turn around and say Sakamoto deserves higher PCS when she is one of the least artistic skaters out there. Seems hypocritical to me.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some surprising results in the ladies SP except for #1 and #2. My speculation is that Maiia is fighting an injury. She fell a lot in practice, too and didn't break 200 at the Cup of Warsaw. She could also just be exhausted from competing a lot, but it's not encouraging.

I'm sorry that Loena popped her flip - she has been so consistent but now she might feel competitive pressure to try to repeat another GP medal.

I'm happy Mariah's PCS was much better this week, but her tech content is holding her back. Still 3rd in this field is a good step for her.

Kamila was out of this world - I can't see anyone beating her for OGM at this point in time. And good for Liza - she looked a bit tight but still delivered.

Good for Maddie Schizas as well -I think she will be going to the OG to represent Canada.
THe judges really like Loena. They could have buried her but they didn't. I do wonder what's going on with Maiia. I hope it isn't an injury. AS, AK, AT and Daria all have or had injuries. So much mystery at the Eteri camp and drama. Madi is sewing up her spot for Canada though it looks like the first time Canada isn't in the medal hunt for the team event. But the night belonged to Kamila - wonderful skating. And I have to give it to Liza even with a bit of a tight flip she was solid. She isn't budging.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello! Here for the women.

Gross why are you showing me Yagudin? I'm about to have dinner. Also my knees hurt and it's making me grumpy, although I've taken ibprofen so 🤞it kicks in soon.

Rino - She's so charming! What a pretty dress! Shame about the combo, but what a fun program.

Madeline - Wow, that's an impressive costume! The clockwise skating is also good for holding attention :)

Cripes did the French cameraperson inflitrate Russia? That was a terrible shot choice for the 2A!

+5.00 GOE for the matching mask to costume.

Olga M - To my shame I totally don't remember her from World's. Interesting music choice here...but oh no rough skate :( she was into that step sequence? Go girl!

And wow that was a great Lutz edge though!

Viktoriia - I like her dress! But that music made me check out a bit. Ouch on the fall, but the rest of the program was very good.

Mariah - That dress is stunning! I sure hope she keeps it! Some said it was too simple, but everything about it is so elegant. I hear Zhenya Med was commentating here! I wonder what she thought and if she subconsciously visualised her own program :laugh:

Oops does finishing the wrong way mean she was short of spinning rotations? Or maybe she did more than usual phew!

A small graze from the knee slide. It's tough out there! Into first.

Eva-Lotta - Uhoh, I saw that she had a bad skate, which sucks because I like her a lot! She had such a good Worlds.

Also is her coach's mask polkadotted or cow spotted :laugh2:

I kinda liked that exit out of the triple toe.

This music is so weird! Like...where is it from.

Ooooow that fall and the +BOMBO 😢

Poor Eva-Lotta! She's so quirky and fun, I hope she's OK!

Gulp... Group 2 incoming!

The Empress! 👸

I like the colour of Kamila's dress.

The two Katia's (Kurakova and Ryabova) have the best dresses! Although I do love Maya's and Liza's dresses too. Loena looks amazing!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I somehow pressed post again...fail.

Lakernik? Bah!

Loena - I keep seeing that a skater has a rough time so I know there's gonna be trouble :( Shame she did so well in her last GP!

Uhoh Mark...people aren't gonna like the fact Loena said that...and explains some of the comments I saw on Insta today! I guess if she said it though...

Katia - Yeah I read that she had a bad time too.

As much as I love her dress I wonder if she'll get a new one because music dissonance is high here!

Uh-oh +BOMBO for her also
so many uncharacteristic mistakes, is it a curse or the ice is bad? (strange for Russia btw)
Legend has it that Plushy accidentally cursed it after having to withdraw from the singles event at the Olympics. Or maybe the crowd accidentally did after engaging in a mass exodus after said unfortunate withdrawal. Although I could have sworn Plushy lifted it after coming back for a Nats Gala a few seasons later and winning the quad jump-off :laugh:

But Katia is such sunshine! She'll bounce back!

Maya - Alas I come here knowing that she has a +BOMBO but I really love this program! Maya can :)

I'm glad the Dude is with her, imagine having to sit with Danny G after a mistake. I bet he'd be a jerkface.

Kamila - I've actually already watched her because I was catching up on Liza and saw her nice purple dress so decided to look. I like the story of the butterfly, but I feel detached from her skating for some reason. Still very fast and confident, good for her.

The butterfly banner is cute ☺️ Although she changed the costume now it's out of date :laugh: don't you hate it when that happens.

Rina - I saw some nasty comments about Rina on here. Leave her alone. She's a lovely girl, blaming her for been higher in rankings than Kamila? So what? She'll be beneath her soon enough. She worked hard and skated well for that ranking, don't be so petty 😡 And I've seen way more entitled behaviour in the KnC, Danny G for instance (and he's not even skating!)

And this song awesome! 🥰

Aww the flip :( the +BOMBO. Bummer.

Good luck for the free, Rina!!

Liza - 🥰 Some on this board might dislike and discredit her, but the crowd loves her!! She's on fire!

I'm gonna get this music stuck on my head again though :laugh: Liza lives it though.

All hail the Empress!

And would you look at that? I'm all caught up just in time for the second day to start :laugh2:.

Go me. Go women!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
And I somehow pressed post again...fail.

Lakernik? Bah!

Loena - I keep seeing that a skater has a rough time so I know there's gonna be trouble :( Shame she did so well in her last GP!

Uhoh Mark...people aren't gonna like the fact Loena said that...and explains some of the comments I saw on Insta today! I guess if she said it though...

Katia - Yeah I read that she had a bad time too.

As much as I love her dress I wonder if she'll get a new one because music dissonance is high here!

Uh-oh +BOMBO for her also

Legend has it that Plushy accidentally cursed it after having to withdraw from the singles event at the Olympics. Or maybe the crowd accidentally did after engaging in a mass exodus after said unfortunate withdrawal. Although I could have sworn Plushy lifted it after coming back for a Nats Gala a few seasons later and winning the quad jump-off :laugh:

But Katia is such sunshine! She'll bounce back!

Maya - Alas I come here knowing that she has a +BOMBO but I really love this program! Maya can :)

I'm glad the Dude is with her, imagine having to sit with Danny G after a mistake. I bet he'd be a jerkface.

Kamila - I've actually already watched her because I was catching up on Liza and saw her nice purple dress so decided to look. I like the story of the butterfly, but I feel detached from her skating for some reason. Still very fast and confident, good for her.

The butterfly banner is cute ☺️ Although she changed the costume now it's out of date :laugh: don't you hate it when that happens.

Rina - I saw some nasty comments about Rina on here. Leave her alone. She's a lovely girl, blaming her for been higher in rankings than Kamila? So what? She'll be beneath her soon enough. She worked hard and skated well for that ranking, don't be so petty 😡 And I've seen way more entitled behaviour in the KnC, Danny G for instance (and he's not even skating!)

And this song awesome! 🥰

Aww the flip :( the +BOMBO. Bummer.

Good luck for the free, Rina!!

Liza - 🥰 Some on this board might dislike and discredit her, but the crowd loves her!! She's on fire!

I'm gonna get this music stuck on my head again though :laugh: Liza lives it though.

All hail the Empress!

And would you look at that? I'm all caught up just in time for the second day to start :laugh2:.

Go me. Go women!
does he take sacrifices?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
In the battle of 3A, i have to give it to Kamila this time. Not because of the rippon, but her better flow and her quickness. Both secure the landing with their backs rather than their knees but Liza was worse.
Anyway, Higuchi's 3A is superior to both :biggrin:

Kamila deserves her TES. It could just have been one point lower because i don't like that delay between the two jumps of her combo. But her edge between the jumps improved.

I don't know why her flip is a bad jump since Kaori jumps it the very same way and everyone applauds.

Kaori has a better toe pick and less prerotation.