gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hubbell/Donohue talk about "rivalry" with Chock/Bates
Chock/Bates talk about the theme of their FD
Smart/Diaz share their hopes of a GP medal
Morozov/Bagin talk about their FD

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event? What were your favorite RDs? FDs?

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
As usual Hubbell/Donohue have the better skills but chock and Bates the better programs. My bias goes towards chock and bates for the Olympic bronze which is sad because they really should be fighting over silver and bronze. With the current judging picture though they’ll never pass Sinitsina and Katsalapov.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved this quote from Madi Hubbell about Madi and Evan:

They definitely laid it out there. We know them well enough that when they finished their performance, I walked through the curtains and saw Evan’s mom giving him a standing ovation so I could tell they had skated very well..”

That is one way to know. :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I quite enjoyed the ID event. Granted, not everything was perfect, but the first ID of the day already cheered me up. I really like Molly and Yehor and they did not disappoint. They're not a top team yet, but it will come. It was also good to see Carolane and Shane back on the game. They had been in stagnation since 2018, but they looked really on the ball now and on the rise. I loved Misato's choice of costume (very Japanese which was fitting) and together with her husband they had a lovely performance. To my regret the Polish team Natalia and Maksim seemed to be doing a repeat of other programmes (in the lifts and elements) and this slightly bored me. I've seen them better. I had not seen Annabelle and Andrei before (although obviously I knew of them) and they were a pleasant surprise with some nice innovative movements and lifts. That said, I had expected a more Middle Eastern vibe especially when you considered Annebelle's costume. Olivia and Adrian had me at the edge of my seat. That Zorro programme is really good for them, and they executed it well. Except for the voice overs, I also really enjoyed Laurence and Nikolaj although I would like a bit more Viking feel as the Dance is on the Soundtrack of The Last Kingdom, a series all about the big invasion of Britain in app. 900 AD. I remained on the edge of my seat during Madison and Evan's Dance which was absolutely great. Room to grow, sure, but I love the concept of it and it was never boring. It helps of course when the costuming is done well, and Madison was stunning in her dress and hairdo. Evan could be a bit more 'austronauty' though. Madison and Zachary also had a good performance, even though I was distracted somewhat by the possibly illegal 'pairs' lift (it wasn't called as such, but it is a big risk in my view) but on the whole I liked their domestic rivals better. A question of taste, not so much the quality of the edges and the skating which was excellent. All-in-all a delightful ID competition.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Hubbell/Donohue talk about "rivalry" with Chock/Bates
Chock/Bates talk about the theme of their FD
Smart/Diaz share their hopes of a GP medal
Morozov/Bagin talk about their FD

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event? What were your favorite RDs? FDs?
I normally don’t watch dance, but I found the last warm up group to be so strong that it was watchable. I told my mom to watch it after I saw RD practices, because Smart/Diaz and Hubble/Donohue anchored the other teams, and upped the mood. Smart/Diaz were my favourite throughout, particularly in FD where everyone was wearing weird costumes, and they just looked extra elegant. Even though it is unpatriotic of me to say so, I wished that Smart/Diaz placed above the Canadians medaling in the event. I wish them the best of luck on their next stage, and now will be watching them. I also quite liked Morozov/Bagin and will also cheer for them in the Russian Hunger Games. I didn’t really buy or understood what Chock/Bates were selling in FD but I loved their RD a lot.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have to say that Smart/Diaz were the standouts for me in this event. Their free dance - polished and perfect. Innovative lifts. It will be interesting to see who Spain sends to the Olys. But we haven't seen Hurtado/Khaliavin yet, so who knows.

Seems Chock/Bates took more of a risk with their free dance, theme-wise, H/D performed a more classical style, that lift though was stunning. Still, count me on Chock/Bates team, I love them.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dear @Kitt . I have seen Hurtado/Khaliavin this year (I think it was at Lombardia Trophy) and now seeing Smart/Diaz won it for me all the way! That's not to say H/K weren't good, but I just got so inspired by S/D's Zorro programme while H/D just didn't give me the feels. It's still 'who knows' of course. Let's see what happens and which team comes out on top. I prefer S/D this year, but then I'm no judge and can't see how the judges will ''eh..." judge. They are so close together! But I'm in the S/D camp for now.

viennaskater

Medalist
As usual Hubbell/Donohue have the better skills but chock and Bates the better programs. My bias goes towards chock and bates for the Olympic bronze which is sad because they really should be fighting over silver and bronze. With the current judging picture though they’ll never pass Sinitsina and Katsalapov.
And what about Papadakis/Cizeron? A far superior dance team to S/K, a couple who are, in my view, continually overscored. I do not understand why. I would have both US dance teams above them, even before seeing S/K's programmes for this season. I know I will not enjoy them.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And what about Papadakis/Cizeron? A far superior dance team to S/K, a couple who are, in my view, continually overscored. I do not understand why. I would have both US dance teams above them, even before seeing S/K's programmes for this season. I know I will not enjoy them.

I didn't see anything about that post that said the American teams should be placed above Papadakis/Cizeron? Unless you think Gabi and Guillaume should get silver and/or bronze, which is what the post was discussing. :biggrin:

viennaskater

Medalist
I didn't see anything about that post that said the American teams should be placed above Papadakis/Cizeron? Unless you think Gabi and Guillaume should get silver and/or bronze, which is what the post was discussing. :biggrin:
I said that, in my opinion, the US teams should be placed above Sinitsina and Katsalapov, not above Gabi and Guillaume. I would like to see Gabi and Guillaume get gold, but, as lurkerghost said, with the current judging picture that may not happen, although it should.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I said that, in my opinion, the US teams should be placed above Sinitsina and Katsalapov, not above Gabi and Guillaume. I would like to see Gabi and Guillaume get gold, but, as lurkerghost said, with the current judging picture that may not happen, although it should.
I understand now, and I agree. So far, I would have Gabi and Guillaume, Madi and Evan, and Madi and Zach, although two and three could be reversed. I may have had the American teams reversed at SA as well.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was such a treat see the whole Skate America competitions live. Loved the whole dance event. If I have to pick a favorite from the whole dance competition, it would be Smart & Diaz's Zorro program. Loved their Tina Turner short dance as well. Their exhibition program was delightful too (reminded me of Kaitlyn & Jean-Luc's humor)!

Love the whole dance podium, and got to congratulate all three teams afterwards. I was waving my American & Canadian flags for them. I think I "tricked" Nicolaj Sorenson into thinking I was Canadian (he thanked me for being there to support them - my Canadian flag happened to be a little bigger than my two American flags)!