2021 Skate Canada Challenge: Senior Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada Challenge: Senior Ice Dance

rain

Record Breaker
They got 76 in tech which is about what Hubbell and Donahue got yesterday. Chock and Bates got 74ish but they had a mishap on the twizzles. The closer they get to the Americans, the better.

You can never compare from one competition to the next, but I do think Gilles/Poirier can compete with the best in the world. I often think they get lowballed.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm going to have to take a look at the protocols. I thought for sure LaLa should have placed ahead of FB/S in the FD. FB/S made two major errors on the twizzles and the lift. I'll be curious to see if it was decided by GOEs or levels or what.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Trivia, I believe this is the first individual bronze medal of Marjorie & Zach's career, nationally or internationally (they got a team bronze at the Youth Olympics). Their most common ordinals are first, second or fourth.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Your clear winners, Piper and Paul. Stunning. Amazing speed, flow, emotion. World class. So sophisticated. Deceptively simple looking because it was so clean, without wasted flailing. Beautiful. And they replaced the last major lift where she used to lie on his back! I kept saying the should since they didn't score so well with the other one. So bummed they didn't get to perform this for a home crowd in Montreal.

But on another note, this rink is the ugliest one they filmed in, by far. It looks like a high school gym, from the paint colours, to the bleachers and wall of funhouse mirrors. Awful. Even distracting signs on the walls. It evokes the notion of sweaty gym socks, not elegant skating.
I agree. I like the BC rink with the Christmas tree and the inukshuk and ice background best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm going to have to take a look at the protocols. I thought for sure LaLa should have placed ahead of FB/S in the FD. FB/S made two major errors on the twizzles and the lift. I'll be curious to see if it was decided by GOEs or levels or what.
FBS : they didn't lose a level on the twizzles... they were marked lower than LaLa on the TES overall... but won by two points on the PCS.. which I can see why but then... to me Lala was so exciting to watch... i really got into their interpretation... and i was puzzled a bit by FBS.... this is from the guy who said yesterday that he thought FBS should have won the RD... so there, you have it... i love everyone and it's the performance of the day that really matters to me... :) have fun you guys... i will be taking a break from figure skating since the season is over for us...

rain

Record Breaker
Maybe now that they're canadian #1 they'll get more cred.
I live in hope. They did win their first ever GP last year at Skate Canada. I think they have something really special and unique.

FBS : they didn't lose a level on the twizzles... they were marked lower than LaLa on the TES overall... but won by two points on the PCS.. which I can see why but then... to me Lala was so exciting to watch... i really got into their interpretation... and i was puzzled a bit by FBS.... this is from the guy who said yesterday that he thought FBS should have won the RD... so there, you have it... i love everyone and it's the performance of the day that really matters to me... :) have fun you guys... i will be taking a break from figure skating since the season is over for us...

Yikes on the twizzles. I thought both programs were rough in some ways because they are so new. But I just thought LaLa's was better performed overall, as evidenced by the two more obvious errors from FB/S. And I too thought FB/S were tops in the RD. I presume these teams will be keeping these free dances for next season? Seems a waste to ditch them for new material yet again when pretty much nobody has seen them and they still need work.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree. I like the BC rink with the Christmas tree and the inukshuk and ice background best.
I also liked the one where Madeline Schizas skated, and I think Veronique Mallet as well, that had natural sunlight coming in from windows high up above the rink.

bramweld

Record Breaker
If Lawrence FB had a stronger more confident partner she would rule ice dance. She is absolutely fantastic.