2021 Skate Canada (Men) Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada (Men) Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Way to bounce back, Chen!
I've listened to "Sinnerman" several times today.
I feel so bad for Messing, but I have hope that he'll get things worked out before France.
“I just tried to let it roll of my back like water on a duck,” he said. “I felt a bit shaky on my right leg. It started on the first Axel I landed and it felt wobbly. I’m not sure if it was nerves or something else. It was fun being in front of a home crowd again. It just made me want to do even better. I’m just bummed I wasn’t able to put out the performance I wanted to.”
What are your overall thoughts on the Men's event?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the quotes from this article how every single one of the men on the podium respects the other🙌

“It’s an honor to be up here with these two guys,” said Chen, nodding to Brown and Semenenko. “Jason always pushes the sport."

"I’m thrilled to be up here with these two! It’s a real honor and it’s incredible to watch Nathan push the sport in his way.” [said Brown]

"I’m happy with my skate and it’s also a great honor to skate with Nathan and Jason! ” [said Semenenko]

Yes, gentlemen, yes.(y)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It was unfortunately painful to watch, and likely far more painful to the competitors. I hope everyone is okay. It was great to see Chen back to doing Chen, but other than that, yeah, too painful. I hope all the men will have better luck in later competitions.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
The most cursed event I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that went that badly. Truly not a single performance I would ever want to rewatch from that FS.

SaDa

On the Ice
It was quite a scary event. I was terrified for all the skaters. Keegan Messing's fall was the worst, and I felt so sick to my stomach when it happened. I've watched two weekends of skating and have seen terrible falls and multiple nosebleeds. Not sure what's going on.

Other than that, I'm happy for all the winners, especially for the US men. Super glad to see Nathan bounce back, though the idea that he's dealing with a hip issue and not just nerves and rust, is a bit concerning. I'm worried it's tied to all the quads he's been practicing lately. I pray he gets some rest and heal up now that his GP events are done.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It was unfortunately painful to watch, and likely far more painful to the competitors. I hope everyone is okay. It was great to see Chen back to doing Chen, but other than that, yeah, too painful. I hope all the men will have better luck in later competitions.

Did you forget something?

I don’t appreciate Brown’s performance and musicality as high as others do, because I find him saccharine and pretentious instead of performing from the heart, like say Uno, and neither he has that being one with the music impression I get from Hanyu. Given that his technical content is far behind the Japanese and American guys, I don’t find his SS as impressive, because any number of ice dancers can do deep-low-fast better. He sure doesn’t skate practically in a squat like Uno does. The trick, to me, is to maintain the pretty skating with comparable technical base, and Brown just doesn’t have the comparable technical base. I also don’t see how his spins are any prettier, and if spins were the thing, Grassl would be world champion. Before people where saying Brown’s triples were out of this world, but now he is doubling his triples and falls on 3A.

So, no, I don’t really see how he just had to be above Semenenko

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Messing's fall was scarey Chen got the job done I just think he deserves such high pcs and certainly not as high as Jason. I appreciate he skates clean with difficult jumps but that shouldn't be everything.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The event felt a bit like a traditional men's splatfest, more specifically the FS did. Besides that, there were some really nasty falls, Keegan's in particular. I was happy to see Nathan back on track if not perfect yet (but even without that he's still a bit out of this World), that Jason is on the way up if still needing some mileage on his Schindler's list programme (his Sinnerman was already wonderful) and Evgeni was a really nice surprise. I was also pleased to see Morisi having a bit of redemption, sorry to see Makar having stamina problems (again), Keji having a really bad skate as well as Roman, Tomoki. Keegan and Alexander and optimistic about Conrad who seems to have improved a bit. I felt sorry for Sota too.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While there were a few bright spots, this was a disappointing competition.

While almost everyone underperformed, special recognition must go to the Canadian men, who as a group were just terrible at their home GP.

Where's the fighting spirit, men?