2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program

eterialskating

On the Ice
Exactly, i am sick of ignoring mistakes of precious skaters from russia

Calling others flips now, and not calling Scherbakova's in future events will be huge hypocrisy from tech panel. We will see what they do.
Queen Anna will naturally get her allowance as the reigning WC too bad for you. She got dinged last time out in Budapest but only because the TC was the same one who did a mighty hatchet job in GP France 2019. I don't think she'll get out of B competitions so your dream of seeing that is a pipe dream.

badknees

Medalist
Do we know what singer recorded that atrocity? I feel like there is a chance it was Nina Mozer's vocal performance.
I'm pretty sure it went from someone's cover of it to Liza Minnelli. Liza's version only works in the Broadway play where you can show super emotion and angst. Only a true artist such as Jason Brown or Michelle Kwan could carry it off.
This is completely the wrong song and version for Kostornaia. And when the music is irritating to the audience and most likely even the judges it's just not going to work. Hard to believe her coaches are that clueless.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure it's because I have completely different (well, more like less limited because I tend to like everything unless it's a really really bad cover, like the Writing's on the Wall one that's most commonly used; my favorite cover of that song is Jackie Evancho's) taste in music than everyone else on this message board (I like the Greatest Showman and Celine Dion, for example), but I like Alena's music, especially after the music cut.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Mrrice how could you show such a lack of loyalty to your Maria??? Shocking. There is only one Butyrskaya. Liza is a queen in herself. Alyssa is a solid skater; I am just not enamoured with her skating. I am a little sad in some ways there is such a push for tech skating. Chen is probably the best pc skater but she has tech issues. I think Liu might not just podium here but olympics. IF she continues to mature, she gets the no. 1 position in the US which is almost a sure thing with Mariah not skating well, Karen's UR's and Bradie injury she is the it girl and the US can promote her as such.

Russia doesn't look that invincible and AK is in huge trouble. It looks like she is being dumped - though to b fair she woudl be desired in any other country but Russia. Canada would love her. Great skating by the final group.
I guess I didn't choose my words correctly. Tuk is like the Maria Butyrskaya of this era. Meaning, that she is still out there with all those teenagers and she's still got the goods to knock em down. So many skaters would have given up after they were basically passed over by her younger teammates. Remember that in 2019, she didn't even make the team, Zagitova, Medvedeva, and Samodurova were the World Team. Then last year, People said that the only reason she made the team was because her teammates were too young to compete at Worlds. I'm sure she hears things like it's time for you to move on but, here she is. It would be HUGE if she can make the Olympic Team with Russia's deep pool of Ladies.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It was a fun competition to watch. The first 5 placements are fine with me.

Karen was pushed undeservedly above clean Mai Mihara. I would say that the only 2 people with wuzrobbed vibe are Mai and Alena. Mai finally skates like a senior skater with attention to music and choreo. The only area for development is spins. Alena was much more involved this time than during her first outing. With the landed 3A she should be much closer to Liza who produced yet another "skate of her life".

I skimmed through comments and saw a lot of usual Wakaba's praising. We all have different eyes. My eyes saw traditional for her simplistic choreography with few transitions. 2A was good but it is not 3A. There was almost no flow out of the combo. Her score was adequate.

And Kamila was a goddess. When she is on she is the one, same as Akatieva in juniors. It was a disservice to Alysa to skate right after her. The contrast was too obvious. Although if you don't compare her with the goddess, Alysa was solid and her program is fun to watch.

Joekaz

On the Ice
It was a fun competition to watch. The first 5 placements are fine with me.

Karen was pushed undeservedly above clean Mai Mihara. I would say that the only 2 people with wuzrobbed vibe are Mai and Alena. Mai finally skates like a senior skater with attention to music and choreo. The only area for development is spins. Alena was much more involved this time than during her first outing. With the landed 3A she should be much closer to Liza who produced yet another "skate of her life".

I skimmed through comments and saw a lot of usual Wakaba's praising. We all have different eyes. My eyes saw traditional for her simplistic choreography with few transitions. 2A was good but it is not 3A. There was almost no flow out of the combo. Her score was adequate.

And Kamila was a goddess. When she is on she is the one, same as Akatieva in juniors. It was a disservice to Alysa to skate right after her. The contrast was too obvious. Although if you don't compare her with the goddess, Alysa was solid and her program is fun to watch.
There is alot of Wakaba praising because she deserved it. Lol

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I thought it was an enjoyable competition.

Kamila is the deserved leader, even if her PCS was a bit on the high side. She is looking very good for the Olympics but there is still a lot of skating to be done. It was unusual to see Liza T do a tango programme (has she done one before šŸ¤”). Her 3A looks very stable, her PCS is on the rise. She is gunning for the Olympics, it would be great to see her there and medal. Iā€™m not her biggest fan but I admire her.

I enjoyed Alenaā€™s SP. I thought her PCS was to low. The programme wasnā€™t what I expected, it built it a good end. Iā€™d be worried for her PCS, only ranked 4th is not a good sign. She does seem to be improving, so hopefully sheā€™ll build some momentum. The opening song is by the actress Carey Mulligan from the movie Shame.

I enjoyed Liuā€™s programme, she seems to have come through puberty. I though Chen was generously marked on both fronts, I would have her lower. Mihara was robbed, Iā€™d have her 5th.

I hope everyone skates well in the free.

brigit66

On the Ice
Queen Anna will naturally get her allowance as the reigning WC too bad for you. She got dinged last time out in Budapest but only because the TC was the same one who did a mighty hatchet job in GP France 2019. I don't think she'll get out of B competitions so your dream of seeing that is a pipe dream.
is that an irony?

skatingiscool

On the Ice
The problem was the first group was scored differently than the second group. Higuchi should have been in the low 70's for sure. If those 3T qs are called the other way, they would be even in the score.

Why don't you blame JSF who gives low domestic scores constantly to their Japanese skaters? If JSF continues to lowball their skaters, what do you expect from international judges? Here is what other fans say on social media:

"wakaba saying she felt she would've scored around 65. the way JSF domestic scoring has robbed their girls of any confidence or an accurate gauge of what they should be getting internationally & setting precedents for ridiculous score gaps, will never forgive their self-sabotaging"

Last edited:
I just saw the NNBC coverage in the U.S. Lots of fine skating. But I couldn't help noticing the trajectory that the sport is on these days. To see who won, all we have to do is look at the first line of the proto ols: 3A with positive GOE, first and second place. 3A , but of lesser quality -- third and fourth. No 3A -- the rest of the field.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Why don't you blame JSF who gives low domestic scores constantly to their Japanese skaters? If JSF continues to lowball their skaters, what do you expect from international judges? Here is what other fans say on social media:

"wakaba saying she felt she would've scored around 65. the way JSF domestic scoring has robbed their girls of any confidence or an accurate gauge of what they should be getting internationally & setting precedents for ridiculous score gaps, will never forgive their self-sabotaging"

I agree JSF sucks. I expect the judges to judge what they see like they are supposed to. What domestic judges do is irrelevant here. Regardless, there is no reason to judge the first group different than the last. This isn't the 6.0 system where you need to leave room. Adding to the problem is you have US and Russia no1 skating here, with accompanying FED support. The JSF couldn't care less about these ladies. Nationalism is a big problem in skating. It is an individual sport. These young ladies shouldn't be penalized so some loser at home can wave his flag and feel good about himself.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I just saw the NNBC coverage in the U.S. Lots of fine skating. But I couldn't help noticing the trajectory that the sport is on these days. To see who won, all we have to do is look at the first line of the proto ols: 3A with positive GOE, first and second place. 3A , but of lesser quality -- third and fourth. No 3A -- the rest of the field.
Also, countries with the most powerful FEDS: 1,2,3,4,6. Country with the most incompetent FED: 5,7, 12.