2021 U.S. Int'l Classic: Women's Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Int'l Classic: Women's Short Program

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or, and I can get on board with this, reserve 28 spots on merit and give the ISU 2 wildcards to use at their discretion.

The way they do at tennis tournaments.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one have zero issue with anyone from any country skating in the Olympics or world championships.

If, and only if, they are one of the top 30 skaters in the world.

Can’t put into words how much I despise sports quotas.

If 25 out of 30 in one sport are from one country, that’s all right by me.

I want to see only the best at the best and most prestigious competitions.

Don’t care about having as many countries represented as possible. I don’t root for countries. I want only the best and most elite at the Olympics. Don’t care about human interest stories as much as competition.

Or, since I don’t watch any other skating other than the ladies, do your quotas in the other disciplines and remove them from the ladies. Which also makes Liza’s Olympic dreams more of a reality so there is the biggest reason to get rid of them. Haha

I will return just to say, to use your language (it's a little stronger than what I would say), I can't put into words how much I despise the idea of the 25 "best" (whatever the heck that is) skaters, even if they are from one country, in Worlds. To me, that is the quota system that I dislike immensely and cannot support.

Don't care if I ever see the 25 top highest scorers at Worlds, nope, not me, this general sports fan is not interested. . That is *not* my definition of the most prestigious, the most competitive, the best of the best. My life experience has taught me otherwise. ;)

Now I don't watch the ladies much but I know people who do, and who don't want to see the top 25 high scorers at Worlds, so on their behalf, I say no thank you. :)

But since we come from completely different philosophical and practical points of view, I think we will always be arguing for different things.

No surprise. :biggrin:

ETA: I don't watch tennis and could not think of a sport I follow less. Maybe golf? So whatever tennis does, good for them, but I would not want to adopt it.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will return just to say, to use your language (it's a little stronger than what I would say), I can't put into words how much I despise the idea of the 25 "best" (whatever the heck that is) skaters, even if they are from one country, in Worlds. To me, that is the quota system that I dislike immensely and cannot support.

Don't care if I ever see the 25 top highest scorers at Worlds, nope, not me, this general sports fan is not interested. . That is *not* my definition of the most prestigious, the most competitive, the best of the best. My life experience has taught me otherwise. ;)

Now I don't watch the ladies much but I know people who do, and who don't want to see the top 25 high scorers at Worlds, so on their behalf, I say no thank you. :)

But since we come from completely different philosophical and practical points of view, I think we will always be arguing for different things.

No surprise. :biggrin:
In this case we will. It would be boring if we agreed on everything.

And that’s ok, I have plenty of time to change your mind. Haha

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is about 0 chance for that to happen here.
But who knows? If some rich european expatriate build an ice rink mainly for his fellow citizens but opens it to the public, with some "coaches", why not?

I think that there are more chances for that to happen in 2085 when the climate change will make snow fall here and get us interested in winter sports.

What a shame. I hope there is some interest, sometime, somewhere, that ice rinks will magically appear.:pray:

This is the rink that Donovan trains at.

https://www.facebook.com/IceSportCenter

I do not know its history, but for me, it does not appear that a wealthy American or European constructed it. Of course, there are wealthy Mexicans. :)

Donovan's coach is Mexican; there are no "imported" coaches. This also inspired me to look up the average temperature in Guanajuato. Evidently it can get as low as 39 degrees at night in the winter, but almost never below freezing. And the average high in January is 69 degrees.

So no natural ice there. :biggrin:

ETA: Donovan is from Jalisco state, 160 miles to the Southeast. Even warmer there with a daytime high of 77 degrees in January, the coldest month.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
What a shame. I hope there is some interest, sometime, somewhere, that ice rinks will magically appear.:pray:
Why? Why is it a "shame" and why is it important for an ice rink to "appear" in some country? It's just a sport a country doesn't care about, and like it or not, overwhelmingly countries in the world have better things to do than making ice rinks "appear". I 10000000000000% hope the money in countries that actually need help is directed to things that actually matter for them - rather than towards the happiness of people on goldenskate forum who want to "support" skaters from those countries. If you want to hope for something, hope for that.

-Signed, person with relatives in a country that needs money to be spent, but not on ice rinks.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why? Why is it a "shame" and why is it important for an ice rink to appear in some country? It's just a sport a country doesn't care about, and like it or not, overwhelmingly countries in the world have better things to do than making ice rinks "appear". I 10000000000000% hope the money in countries that actually need help is directed to things that actually matter for them - rather than towards the happiness of people on goldenskate forum who "supported" skaters from those countries. If you want to hope for something, hope for that.

-Signed, person with relatives in a country that needs money to be spent, but not on ice rinks.

That's why I said "magically" appear.

There are many things I would like to have magically appear. And they are not mutually exclusive. :)

and to say more may delve into politics for me, which is not the purpose of this forum. So I will bow out here.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

This is the rink that Donovan trains at.

https://www.facebook.com/IceSportCenter

I do not know its history, but for me, it does not appear that a wealthy American or European constructed it. Of course, there are wealthy Mexicans. :)

Donovan's coach is Mexican; there are no "imported" coaches. This also inspired me to look up the average temperature in Guanajuato. Evidently it can get as low as 39 degrees at night in the winter, but almost never below freezing. And the average high in January is 69 degrees.

So no natural ice there. :biggrin:

ETA: Donovan is from Jalisco state, 160 miles to the Southeast. Even warmer there with a daytime high of 77 degrees in January, the coldest month.

Look, it's great for Donovan and i root for him.
What i'm saying is Mexico and my country are differents.

Donovan is far to be the first Mexican skater competing in big competitions. Mexico even held a JGP in 2008 or 2009. So there was much more skating history there. I wouldn't be surprised if a family with spanish origins is behind the interest for figure skating in this country. First skaters went to US to train and i guess that they are the current coaches.

So what is happening in Mexico won't necessarily happens in other countries. Or doesn't have to happen.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I would be very surprised to see skating take root there.

(There is, however, skating in South Africa).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes, I would be very surprised to see skating take root there.

(There is, however, skating in South Africa).
Yes, one of the two respectable feds (with Morocco) that ever existed.
South Africa has winter and a strong european community. That's why. And i think the only ever South African to have competed in an ISU championship (4CC) is Michaela Du Toit (born in England) who seems to have become an actress now (She played in that movie with Elvis Sotjko).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You don't need winter, although it is a plus. An immigrant community who liked skating in the home country is important too- but mostly what an area needs is a huge lot of money and/or a strong Olympic dream in the community and country.

Mall Ice rinks are delightful places to hang out on very hot days, when it is too hot to go to the beach. It is why skating is popular in Florida and Texas, despite having no winter, and why there is a rink in the U.A.E. Lots of money.