2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men - Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men - Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
So why didn't he go for it in the short? If he can do it?

I can only speculate, of course, but putting an iffy element in the SP is much more of a risk than putting it in the LP. All three jumping passes are required elements, unlike the LP, and also unlike the LP there's really no opportunity to make up points after a mistake. Jason needed to set himself up in the top group in the short, which is what he did, and the way he knew he could do that was with a clean skate. No doubt his goal was to make sure he's chosen for the world team. This makes perfect sense to me. If this was a random grand prix, I'd say take the risk in the SP, too, to get the quad out there as much as possible. But the strategy with the world team on the line would be different here.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have more faith in Evgenia landing that quad sal than Jason Brown ever landing a quad in a competition. :biggrin:
Much as I love Evgenia, I don't agree. Jason approximately landed it last year (two feet) and this year he went for it - no hesitation - and fell. It will come. And even if it doesn't...he is just so wonderful to watch even with this much less interesting programme than the one from last year (which made me cry, so moving). I'm a fan. Sorry jump lovers (and I do love those too), but a musical, interpretative skater still beats it for me. It's why I enjoyed the SC Challenge so much...less quads perhaps but the skating skills...wow! And Jason is one of those. I just love that kind of skating!

sworddance21

On the Ice
I think I need to do some research to understand the levels in spins and step sequences. I'm surprised that Jason is getting some L3s. Does it require a choreo change to fix that?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I stay away during the last three because my heart is ETA: now back in my chest. ;)

Jason: I was prepared for a fall, but not for the pop:cry: Still, David Wilson has redeemed himself twice now and shown that he "gets" Jason. And a sigh of relief because Jason wants to set himself up for the Olys and the Worlds team, and he has done that.

The masterpiece which is Sinnerman shall return, and that is all a skating fan can hope for:pray:

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
SNOWFLAKE: A tragic story about life on the mean streets of NYC. It was a ballet ... Balanchine did it with Farrell & Marshall in the title roles and I love this version .. then a film with Gene Kelly and Vera Ellen in the title roles. Never saw the film so am not sure if it was black & white but the colorized version has Gene in a purple shirt... I suspected Jason would wear something similar and it looks good!! TMI .. hah:palmf:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think I need to do some research to understand the levels in spins and step sequences. I'm surprised that Jason is getting some L3s. Does it require a choreo change to fix that?
Getting level 3’s is unusual for Jason- I’m sure he and his team will analyze that and see how to fix it. This was Jason’s first major competition of the year, usually you get to figure these things out in early comps. When I think of it that way I’m not as sad about the popped 3A. He hasn’t competed since last February!

1111bm

Final Flight
He messed up the Twizzle in one of his clusters.

(ETA: so basically what my FO Twizzle attempts tend to look like 😄 thank you Jason for making me feel a bit better about it ;))

I hope that Jason abandons the quad. Even if he manages to land one, so what? He will still be behind Vincent Zhou with 3 quads including a quad Lutz, and behind many men internationally.

I would much rather Jason be Jason. Keep on delivering programs that capture our hearts, take our breath away, get viewed a million times on You Tube,and comprize a clinic on skating skills. To me, that is more of a contribution to the sport of figure skating than landing a quad and getting 7th at the Olympics.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Easy peasy for us to question and criticize anyway. What are we good at? In anything that any of us might be good at, does it come easy? If so, I suppose you are lucky, and waiting for your comeuppance. ;)

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Yeah, these were two very familiar names for me, but Max coming up from juniors and Paniot being 10th last year, I wasn't expecting this much from them. So this is great from them, and I hope their exciting journey of excellence continues.

We have to remember that there are so many guys with great skills who can break through. Tomoki is not exactly done. Neither is Krasnozohn. And I'm sure Andrew Torgashev will be more than in the mix. Hopefully, Camden will find a way to reach his potential too.
Also, don't forget Malanin!

Adjesusluvsu

Rinkside
Country
United-States
So we pretty much know the three (? U.S. gets three right?) that will get sent to worlds if it happens. How do you think they will place?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also, don't forget Malanin!
Sure, Ilia! It's too bad he couldn't compete at Nationals this year. There's other names as well who are going to be battling and coming through in the future. U.S. men have historically had great depth, and wonderful competitive battles.

The mistakes from some guys in the fp should not overshadow how on fire they all were in the sp. :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was about to call and report a robbery in that Yaroslav didn't have a Fan Fest but then I remembered anyone can create a Fan Fest, so here's Yaroslav's

Thread 'Yaroslav Paniot' https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/yaroslav-paniot.87643/

As I said I'm at work, so it's not very exciting yet, but hopefully I can add some links and stuff later.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Assuming Worlds is canceled; any speculation on how Olympic spots per country will be calculated? It would be kind of ludicrous to base it on 2019 Worlds!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yay, what a nail-biter.

wow, I totally didn’t expect that of Paniot who didn’t make an impression in the last year’s US Nationals, but he was totally the star this year, his not-bronze notwithstanding 👍

Zhou put up a fight, and his choreo sequence in the end was such a highlight! I am rooting for the guy to keep going.

Chen does Chen ✅

and I am also was blown away by Naumov’s high placement, he has more time than Hiwatashi... was so glad to see Hiwatashi to skate better, but it just feels like this year got him hard. Aww...

Lots of fun to watch!

@Sjs5572 Malinin, it means raspberry, which in Russian doesn’t have the same negative connotations as it does in English.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The dissing gets so old. Lots of noise that won't keep Jason from continuing to excel, quad or no quad. And btw, he's landed quads plenty of times. He'll get over the hurdle of landing it cleanly and officially ratified in competition. ...

As a general comment, I would like to add that "dissing" also gets old for a different category of skater -- the ones for whom PCS is the biggest target area for improvement. (Jason obviously is not in this category.)

A skater could be working very hard on PCS, and consistently performing quality run-throughs at home that would be worthy of good PCS -- without (yet :)) getting over the hurdle of delivering the same quality *in competition*.

(BlissfulSynergy, I am in agreement with you about Jason, and I know that you do not like "dissing" of anyone.
I want to be clear that my post is not a reaction to anything that I have seen from you.
I just am taking the opportunity to make a similar point that is applicable to skaters other than Jason.)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As a general comment, I would like to add that "dissing" also gets old for a different category of skater -- the ones for whom PCS is the biggest target area for improvement. (Jason obviously is not in this category.)
Ahhh, I see what you're doing there @ice coverage. Nice try covering yourself too. ;)

I don't denigrate skaters. I don't say that they will never improve or constantly question their abilities. I have disagreements regarding PCS embiggening and your sly jabs at me don't change my opinions, whether or not you characterize my passionate observations and reflections in the pairs threads 'dissing' or not.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... (BlissfulSynergy, I am in agreement with you about Jason, and I know that you do not like "dissing" of anyone.
I want to be clear that my post is not a reaction to anything that I have seen from you.
I just am taking the opportunity to make a similar point that is applicable to skaters other than Jason.)

Ahhh, I see what you're doing there @ice coverage. Nice try covering yourself too. ;)

I don't denigrate skaters. I don't say that they will never improve or constantly question their abilities. I have disagreements regarding PCS embiggening and your sly jabs at me don't change my opinions, whether or not you characterize my passionate observations and reflections in the pairs threads 'dissing' or not.

I did not say that you denigrate skaters, and I did not make a sly jab at you.

In fact, I bent over backward from the beginning to say that my earlier post was not a reaction to anything that I have seen from you and that I know that you do not like "dissing" anyone.

What I had in mind is assorted comments -- not from you -- about *men* skaters who are working hard on PCS but who often are the subject of "dissing" -- again, not by you.

I was not thinking about pairs at all.

Last edited: