2021 US Nationals: Free Dance - Thoughts and Observations | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Free Dance - Thoughts and Observations

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the FD? What were your favorite performances? Which team(s) do you feel have shown the most growth since last season?

Last edited:

Dogo

On the Ice
Everytime I have a creative hiccup I'll watch Kaitlin and Jen-Luc' Blondie program to clean my eyes and reinvigorate my mind. It is truly poetry on ice. Even more so that P/C last season program (maybe I'll get hate for saying that but it was that amazing)

Also, Chock and Bates for the gold next year! I want to be Madi dancing on Evan's arms on their SP. I always thought he was cute but I have an official crush on him, and a platonic one with her.

And Hubbell and Donohue are my body goals.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Everytime I have a creative hiccup I'll watch Kaitlin and Jen-Luc' Blondie program to clean my eyes and reinvigorate my mind. It is truly poetry on ice.

Also, Chock and Bates for the gold next year!
I'd honestly like to see H/B with gold for next year, but with the way the US is judging: That's a hard sell.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
wow what a dramatic final. The scoring if realistic suggests at worlds and olympics the US could have too meals and forget the two Russian teams with France of course gettting gold.

Very competitive. Thouugh it seems to me Chock and Bates and Hubbell and Donahue have been arodn for ever. They haven't but it seems they have been aroudn for ages and as a result of them waitin g their turn so to s peak after Davis and Whtie and then the Shibs there is a bottle neck of up and oming great teams. Too bad Careira and Ponomarenko couldn't compete - they lost a lot of ground to H and B who seemed to find their groove again just barely in time. The battle of the Madisons such drama.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
H/B
In terms of training, the team felt this season was special in their creative process as both ice dancers have wanted to tell a story; something they've wanted to do in previous years.

"It's what we love about skating," said Hawayek. "I think we poured so much into creating these specific characters and images that we wanted everybody to understand so clearly. The thing we really embraced this year was letting go of that a little bit and allowing ourselves to create art; something that came from within us and not having any expectations for how other people viewed it and take what they wanted from our program. It's a lot more rewarding at the end of the day to finish the program and feel like it came from within us onto the ice rather than to hope that people understood a program."

Amei

Record Breaker
wow what a dramatic final. The scoring if realistic suggests at worlds and olympics the US could have too meals and forget the two Russian teams with France of course gettting gold.

Yeah Nationals scoring means nothing

Very competitive. Thouugh it seems to me Chock and Bates and Hubbell and Donahue have been arodn for ever. They haven't but it seems they have been aroudn for ages and as a result of them waitin g their turn so to s peak after Davis and Whtie and then the Shibs there is a bottle neck of up and oming great teams. Too bad Careira and Ponomarenko couldn't compete - they lost a lot of ground to H and B who seemed to find their groove again just barely in time. The battle of the Madisons such drama.

They have, both teams are in their 10th season together (both competed previously with other partners as seniors). Chock and Bates have been to the last 2 Olympics, Hubbell and Donahue were at the last Olympics.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah Nationals scoring means nothing

They have, both teams are in their 10th season together (both competed previously with other partners as seniors). Chock and Bates have been to the last 2 Olympics, Hubbell and Donahue were at the last Olympics.
And Bates was at the 2010 Olympics with his former partner, Emily Samuelson.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought Hawayek and Baker's performances at least should have earned them scores close to H/D and C/B. It should have been a three way race for the gold, but I think the judges had already decided gold and silver were going to H/D and C/B in some order, and H/B were there for third. I can only hope the reaction H/B are getting for the performance starts to shift that mindset.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I thought Hawayek and Baker's performances at least should have earned them scores close to H/D and C/B. It should have been a three way race for the gold, but I think the judges had already decided gold and silver were going to H/D and C/B in some order, and H/B were there for third. I can only hope the reaction H/B are getting for the performance starts to shift that mindset.

and I thought H/B should be closer to Green/Parsons.