2021 US Nationals: Men's SP - Thoughts and Observations | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Men's SP - Thoughts and Observations

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the Men's event today? Who was your favorite? Which program did you like the least in the top 6 and why?

Last edited:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason's SP was the highlight of the night. Absolutely exquisite, perfection. He should have had straight 10s for PCS no question. I swear he did not stop for breath during that performance, every movement, every transition was purposeful and extended. And to think, this was his first outing in competition in nearly a year... truly, truly outstanding.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Aleksei Krasnozhon did not make the broadcast here in Clovis but.........I saw his score. What has happened to Alexei?
It was devastating. I’m still not over it! He fell on his opening 4Lo. Then another fall on the 3A. Tripped on something invisible and fell and then fell on the back-half of his combo. He was so distraught that he even invalidated one of his spins. He did two combo spins instead of a flying spin. I hope he does better in the free.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chen has five quads planned for the free skate.

“You know me,” said the 21-year-old. “I always like to challenge myself and try to one-up myself after every competition. That being said, it’s always a game-time decision for me. If things feel right, I’ll do it, and if not, I can fall back on different layouts.”

mrrice

Record Breaker
Trivia Question for you guys. After being amazed by Jason, I was wondering. Has a Quadless SP ever broken 100 before ??

Olympic

On the Ice
Where is Andrew Torgashev? He is missed because he makes that 2nd tier very exciting.

Nathan - One of his best. Loved the ambition of the 4F-3T in the 2nd half of the SP and the Latin music. One of his best choreographed programs.

Vincent - He was most improved; Rippon 4Z-3T, clean 4S and 3-turns->3A is amazing! But his movement and spins are so vastly improved that he is a Worlds medal threat himself.

Jason - The best quadless skater these days and he just keeps getting better if that's possible; breaking 100 in the SP w/o a quad is remarkable.

DROP-OFF

Tomoki and Camden forgot their quads on their way to nationals and didn't make the final group. The rest of the programs were solid though. I hope they skate to the best of their capabilities in the LP. Camden scored 80 missing a big element.

Yaroslav Paniot - He can jump: I was delighted by the 4F-3T but he needs a lot more power / speed yet he has improved: He is more watchable than last year. Coached by Todd Eldredge. I will be interested in watching his improvement.

I love Maxim's big jumps. I hope he's working on a quad

Ma - Another highlight performance: He held it together and the only mistake was a hand-down on the 4T.

Kang was chacked from the broadcast but he looked like he skated quite well according to the protocols.

Tran - Coached by Jeremy Abbott. He looked like he has been working hard on his presentation. He is also more watchable now than last year, but he had little glitches on some relatively simple triples.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Trivia Question for you guys. After being amazed by Jason, I was wondering. Has a Quadless SP ever broken 100 before ??
Didn't Patrick Chan have at least one?

Jason did it at Nationals last year, too.

Amei

Record Breaker
You'd think I would know the answer to that question. I'll do some research. BRB

Patrick had a Quadless SP that scored 99.76.........Very close.

Are you going to get kicked out of the fan club? :biggrin:

My question would be has anyone done it at an international competition? Jason and Patrick are great skaters but we all know inflation is a thing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Are you going to get kicked out of the fan club? :biggrin:

My question would be has anyone done it at an international competition? Jason and Patrick are great skaters but we all know inflation is a thing.
KABOOM!!!!!! :laugh2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You'd think I would know the answer to that question. I'll do some research. BRB

Patrick had a Quadless SP that scored 99.76.........Very close.
So Patrick's would actually be higher because Jason benefitted from the huge US inflation. And the scoring system now allows for higher scores but who cares both are amazing skaters.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Does anyone know the backstory on Yaroslav Paniot and why he's skating for the US now? He was at the 2018 Olympics for Ukraine

Edit, I looked on his IG to try and find an answer and in some pictures he looks like Stephane Lambiel's twin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHkNNshAHMv/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFLmxJjJiXL/
my understanding is that he has trained/lived in the U.S. for a while. Also the Ukrainian Federation is (allegedly) political and plays big favorites. which is why we see lots of skates leave Ukraine to skate for other countries, especially in Pairs/Dance. I think he got his residency permit which made him eligible and he decided to Skate for the U.S.A. I think his goal is to make 2026. He finished 10th at last years nationals.

ETA: This is the article I read that talked about it. Obviously I have no first hand knowledge if this is true.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nathan was solid and technically amazzing; ditto for Vinnie. But their pcs especially Nathan ar eway too high. Just as jumps (quads are worth so much) so should pcs. I think Jason should be 8 to 10 p ts ahead of Nathan in pcs But the system won't allow for that. Jason maximizes his GOEs and is an amazing skater even withou the quad. I know there is the story of his minor injury but does anyone know really ow realistic is it that he lands a quad.? Kind of sad that the top three are already essentally declared. The question is who will win silver and bronze between Vinnie and Jason. I have to say I appreciate the technical brilliance of chen but his programs are good just not great or special. Still he is the m an to beat.