2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info | Golden Skate

2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships is scheduled to take place Mar 22-28 in Stockholm, Sweden, at the Ericsson Globe. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, event organizers plan to host the event in a bubble. Skaters are eligible for the event if they turned 15 years of age before July 1, 2020, and have met the minimum technical elements score requirements. The ISU accepts scores if they were obtained at senior-level ISU-recognized international competitions at least 21 days before the first official practice day of the championships.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
The ISU Council is meeting today to discuss the next steps for figure skating competitions this year, including Worlds and the Team Trophy. A summary of their decisions is usually posted 1 to 4 days afterwards on the ISU site so we'll hear something soon.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
On twitter Philip Hersh:
I can confirm the Tass report that the ISU Council has decided not to cancel the World Figure Skating Championships Mar. 22-28 in Stockholm, Sweden. Not sure if this is final word or if Council plans to reconsider at its next meeting.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
On twitter Philip Hersh:
I can confirm the Tass report that the ISU Council has decided not to cancel the World Figure Skating Championships Mar. 22-28 in Stockholm, Sweden. Not sure if this is final word or if Council plans to reconsider at its next meeting.
It seemed like this was the final hurdle in everything I saw, so they'll probably start setting up the bubble and, if there are any significant changes, will reevaluate at the next meeting.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Worlds are officially happening. However, the ISU will be reviewing whether or not they will be an Olympic qualifying event on March 2nd based on who is entered. They didn't say anything about the World Team Trophy, but I'm guessing it will be reviewed at the next meeting.
Link to article

Last edited:

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Yes, I got the press release this morning. The 2020 Worlds were cancelled because the Quebec Government wouldn't allow it. The ISU would have gone ahead. The ISU will only cancel if the Swedish Government says no. In other news, the EU banned travel from Japan today. I don't know if this means that Japan athletes (who train in Japan) won't be able to go or if they will be exempt because it's considered "essential travel". In terms of Canadian athletes, I highly doubt Skate Canada will allow them to go - maybe Keegan because he trains in the US. The CBC reported back in November that Canadian athletes will likely not go even if they are held.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Yes, I got the press release this morning. The 2020 Worlds were cancelled because the Quebec Government wouldn't allow it. The ISU would have gone ahead. The ISU will only cancel if the Swedish Government says no. In other news, the EU banned travel from Japan today. I don't know if this means that Japan athletes (who train in Japan) won't be able to go or if they will be exempt because it's considered "essential travel". In terms of Canadian athletes, I highly doubt Skate Canada will allow them to go - maybe Keegan because he trains in the US. The CBC reported back in November that Canadian athletes will likely not go even if they are held.
I have to think they'll allow athlete travel assuming the athletes test negative, especially with the Olympics coming up, but there's no guarantee. And with Canada, I doubt they'll send skaters, especially after having cancelled Nationals, but who knows. Perhaps they'll try to get vaccines to all the skaters before they travel?

Last edited:

scoty

Rinkside
Where’s the great thread with the list of all the skaters who have earned the technical minimums? I know I’ve seen it for this season but I can’t find it. Very appreciative that someone gathers that info.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
2021-Worlds-Prelim-Schedule.jpg

Here's the schedule from September. It's definitely going to change but this should hopefully provide a rough outline of what the week will look like.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
We’ll have to see. Circumstances can change by the day as we’ve seen. Though in order for anyone to agree, the ISU is going to need to figure out exactly how this will work - the bubble, travel, testing, etc. I highly doubt that almost any federation will allow skaters to be sent there if people can just waltz in and out and do whatever they want like normal. They need to figure it out to a T, otherwise this is going to end in disaster.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Though in order for anyone to agree, the ISU is going to need to figure out exactly how this will work - the bubble, travel, testing, etc. ...

Although these kinds of details have not yet been announced to the general public, it is possible that some or all of them already have been communicated to federations (which in turn have shared them with skaters).

FWIW, on her Instastory within the last 48 hours or so , Madison Hubbell answered a question about Worlds. Big disclaimer that I do not remember the exact question, and I do not remember the exact words of her answer, but my general recollection is that she alluded to having received information about the safety plan for Worlds, and based on that information, to feeling reasonable optimism (without 100% certainty) at this point that it would be possible for the event to go forward (and for her to attend). Again, none of the above is a verbatim quote, but that was her overall tone -- based on what sounded like substantive information that she had received.

In my estimation, Madi H. probably would have good judgment as to the rigor of a safety plan. She crossed the border back and forth from Canada to the U.S. for both Skate America and U.S. Nationals, so she has two rounds of experience of meeting the safety requirements of USFS, plus she knows the drill of strict quarantining after returning to Canada.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
What exactly does it mean by 'holding the event in a bubble'? Does that mean spectators are permitted, or not?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
No spectators, athletes and officials only allowed in their hotel rooms and on the rinks, hygienic measures and mask wearing everywhere wxcept in your own hotelroom or when skating, no regular cleaning of the rooms but clean towels, bedding, etc. made available daily, no banquets, if there is eating together only with your own team, regular testing, once out you can't go back in.

viennaskater

Medalist
Thanks. So if no spectators, why don't they make that clear on the event website? All they say is that tickets are not for sale yet.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks. So if no spectators, why don't they make that clear on the event website? All they say is that tickets are not for sale yet.
I'm not really sure, but they just might be holding out hope. After all, it's pretty expensive to hold a world championships and worse if there are no ticket sales, program sales, food/drink sales, and all of the other random things that you can buy. Or maybe they're going to sell cardboard cutouts like the US did for their nationals.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
No spectators, athletes and officials only allowed in their hotel rooms and on the rinks, hygienic measures and mask wearing everywhere wxcept in your own hotelroom or when skating, no regular cleaning of the rooms but clean towels, bedding, etc. made available daily, no banquets, if there is eating together only with your own team, regular testing, once out you can't go back in.
The thing is, how strict can you make it be without either countries not cooperating or countries refusing to come. Both of those things will cause media scandals up the wazoo. I'm all for a very strict bubble, but with an event where so many people are involved, the question is - Will it work? Like I said earlier, the ISU needs to figure out exactly what they plan to do and fast, otherwise federations won't send athletes