2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congrats to Giles and Poirier! I do like the story of their program and love their expression, but I still am disappointed that for me it's missing an innovative highlight... something that I've come to appreciate in their previous free dances. They usually have elements that are unexpected and make me say "wow" and this one just feels so conventional - however I guess it's working for them with the judges so I doubt they'll change anything!

mhu714

On the Ice
Again, all the Ice Dancers had great programs. To me Chock and Bates are the best team. Their season had been uneven but today I thought they were great. G&P are also a great team but I do not understand how for years they consistently finished below C&B but now, this season, they're better than them? I've watched and loved skating since the mid 1970's but I admit to not being an expert in scoring especially for Dance, so can someone here please explain this result to me, and what, from a judging standpoint, has caused a reversal of these 2 teams in the standings?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Aight last group! I almost feel like a traitor, but I think I’m rooting for P/P over Chock/Bates. There’s no particular reason other than I think Poirier is sexy as hell. And that’s more important than little stuff like skating skills and performance level.

Understandable! And it can be tough to pull your eyes away from his booty. Although it is more striking when he wore pants in a different colour.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The character "acting" before and after the skate for G/P makes me cringe every single time. Stop it.
The junior team who won also did that. Is this a Carol thing or did they copy their training mates. I agree it's a bit cringey.

I think the Madonna version works for me as Piper has a strong resemblance to her when she did the movie back in the 90s. Not the Madonna with the awful plastic surgery.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think C/B's program/ performance is that great. I did not see the RDs. This all looks like political judging to me. I don't know if technical aspects are truly being considered. I'm happy for Piper/ Paul coming up with great material that does them justice. They weaved a story. I always love seeing that in figure skating. If this P&P's last season, it will be fantastic seeing them win Worlds. If C/B had a great program, I would be happier for them I found the program boring. The Italians are good at what they do, but they're always helped out by politics.

I would have had P&P; Hawayek/Baker in second; Fear/Gibson third; and Chock/ Bates 4th; Guignard/ Fabbri 5th; and F-B/S 6th (though their performance was completely chacked by awful, dreadful Peacock).

I'm feeling very angry toward Peacock and U.S. fed for their sh**ty excuse for coverage this haphazard season. 😡

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was crying again during G&P's FD. They manage to move me every time with that Evita FD. It's so impressive and emotional. I loved all the dances though, thought Kaitlin and Jean-Luc were a bit lowballed and felt so sorry for Laurence and Nikolaj. Need a hankie.

Andrea82

Medalist

Richard Dalley (USA) put Hawyek/Baker 2nd. Obviously he had Chock/Bates first
Christine Hurth (France) had 1) C/B 2) G/F 3) G/P
Lucy Leonard (used to know as Lucy Visinoni, Great Britain) had Guignard/Fabbri over Chock/Bates
Virpi Kunnas (Finland) put Guignard/Fabbri into 5th.
Nicole LeBlanc-Richard (Canada) had Fear/Gibson third. Same for Soyoung An (Korea)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Again, all the Ice Dancers had great programs. To me Chock and Bates are the best team. Their season had been uneven but today I thought they were great. G&P are also a great team but I do not understand how for years they consistently finished below C&B but now, this season, they're better than them? I've watched and loved skating since the mid 1970's but I admit to not being an expert in scoring especially for Dance, so can someone here please explain this result to me, and what, from a judging standpoint, has caused a reversal of these 2 teams in the standings?
Not going to answer your question entirely... but it's not entirely true Piper and Paul always finished below Chock and Bates, for instance, worlds 2021.. Piper and Paul skate better when they have material with a huge emotional content like their Starry Starry night program did in 2021... For me, this is a return to this. They seem more connected not only to the music but to their skating. They are more precise in this context, which is key in ice dance as precision of steps and turns make for a lot of the levels. Chock and Bates are not yet at their full potential this season. They have improved at every competition so far.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Hawayek and Baker were just breathtakingly beautiful. By far my favourite free dance. Like Chock and Bates it's interesting. She is always stunning to watch. Piper and Paul are consumate story tellers and he is fabulous to watch. Love the Italian's dramatic dance. Feel for H and B they have such a beautiful ethereal quality and so fluid.