2022-23 GPF Senior Men's Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Men's Short Program

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well Sota does not do as well in the FS and Koa's best in FS 16 points lower than Iyla's so Ilya could land on the podium but I doubt he'll beat Shoma. He HAS to do a clean SP which he has not done all year. A bad pattern is a problem it has to be addressed.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Hehehe. Shoma was great - who cares about double toe when the competition also messes up. This program feels refreshing, I like it. He doesn't have to do classical to be great.

The second half of Yamamotos program was great, I wish the choreo of the first half was better, that felt really empty. Love the jump kick.

I can't stand Daniel Grassl's skating and I feel some probably very petty animosity towards Ilia, so I'm happy with the results:devil:

Dawn825

Medalist
Well Sota does not do as well in the FS and Koa's best in FS 16 points lower than Iyla's so Ilya could land on the podium but I doubt he'll beat Shoma. He HAS to do a clean SP which he has not done all year. A bad pattern is a problem it has to be addressed.
It's ilya's first senior season, it's fine that he's not perfect. If he won every time there'd be nowhere to go but down. He has plenty of time to work before world's. And if he doesn't get it this time, he he'll hopefully have many more opportunities. Nobody wants to see a skater peak at 15.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's ilya's first senior season, it's fine that he's not perfect. If he won every time there'd be nowhere to go but down. He has plenty of time to work before world's. And if he doesn't get it this time, he he'll hopefully have many more opportunities. Nobody wants to see a skater peak at 15.
He's 17 :biggrin: Honestly though he is far from perfect in these short programs, so perfect it not the issue.Being relatively clean is.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely saw a look of pain on Ilia's face as he skated out the rink, and it looked like physical not emotional pain, to me. Also, his dad's first words were "Are you okay?" Ilia didn't answer where we could see.

I hope he's not too badly hurt. I hope that if it seems necessary, he'll WD for the FS. I mean, I'd hate it, because I love watching him skate. But not injuring himself more is more important.

I agree with @cheerknithanson.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Malinnin needs to clean up his short program, especially his combination jump. His SP score in Senior Grand Prix was lower than the top Junior and he is nearly 20 point behind Uno. In a limited field regular Grand Prix event he was able to make up his SP deficit with his Quad Axel in the long program. He won't be able to make up that deficit against Uno, and a SP program like this at World's will leave him skating his long program for the judges in an earlier group than the medalists.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I know you can't really compare scores across competitions, but the top Men's short program at Golden Spin by Pulkinen was five points better than Malinnin's

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely saw a look of pain on Ilia's face as he skated out the rink, and it looked like physical not emotional pain, to me. Also, his dad's first words were "Are you okay?" Ilia didn't answer where we could see.
I saw this too and was straining to hear his answer. Didn't hear anything though. Those difficult jumps are rough on the body.

Kris135

On the Ice
I just watched Ilia's short program and I am just going to say 4 words. Drop this short program! Go back to last year's short for the rest of the season because it worked and It is good enough to get the 100 point benchmark that you need to contend for world title. Also it program that he will conformable with. His coaches can also go to simpler version to get the timing back on his jumps. I think his timing is really off because he going though yet another growth spurt, hopefully the last one, at the worst possible time. This also could means that he trying to break in a new pair of skates as well because when you grow many times your shoe size changes as well. He may be also may be dealing with a slight injury, though I think that this team may be saying this because it sounds better than Ilia grew 3-5 inches in last two months and he trying to figure out his timing on his jumps again.

So he is dealing growth spurt, timing issues, new skates, possible injury, and short program which simply is not coming together at all. Then add the pressure of being the standard bearer of US men's figure skating. It is all coming together in a bad way right now. This does not mean that his career is over or that he will never be a world champion and by nationals all problems might resolve enough that he will back to his old self again.

Remember he is only 18 years old, most skaters at his age and experience level are either in JGP or are just moving up to senior level and competing at low level CS events not GP events and not the Grand Prix Final usually. So issues that Ilia is having right now are normal for his age bracket. Even Nathan Chen had similar issues when at the same age he for example bombing two short programs at the Olympics then winning worlds about 6 weeks later. So the ups and downs are normal. So please just be patient and give the kid a break here and things will get better soon