2022-23 Japanese National Championships - Men's FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Japanese National Championships - Men's FS

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Right?

But considering his Nats placement, it's definitely easier for them to justify sending Sota to Worlds vs Rinka
That said, she could very well be named to the team too (and deservedly if considering the criteria)
There's nothing to justify! You can't go if you can't qualify!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Name one time that they selected someone outside the criteria. You can't.
If we consider those who were not selected while they were meeting most points of the criteria then there is Higuchi vs Sakamoto for 2018 olys, Mihara vs Kawabe for 2022 olys.
I don't know the criteria for junior worlds but the criteria seems to be being the gold medalist of junior nats or being one of the top two finishers among the junior eligible skaters at senior nats. In this case, i don't see debatable decision (doesn't mean i was always ok with them, far from it).

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
If we consider those who were not selected while they were meeting most points of the criteria
There's never been extra credit given for "most points of criteria". It's just to allow the participant to be placed under consideration. A person that meets one criteria is as equally qualified as a person that meets five.

While I strongly believe that Mai Mihara would have been a better choice for the Olympics that Mana Kawabe, they were both "qualified", and the choice between qualified candidates is a judgment call that the JSF is entitled to make solely at their discretion.

They have never selected a skater that meets zero of their critieria, and is thus not qualified, and is thus not to be placed under consideration.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Shoma is Box Office the way he saved the second half. Kao M also great to have the second highest free skate score. I do feel like JSF threw Shun Sato under a bus. I just don’t get Japan Fed’s thinking . They basically purposefully eliminated Shun from worlds for what? He is one of the brightest talents, probably in the top 3 in the world in terms of technical ability. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by not giving him a spot.

yesterday

Record Breaker
So I've just read the 10 pages here and could watch the rest of the FS before unspoiled (thank you, my laptop for recording :pray: )

Just 😲
The pressure was there as I think we all agree that everybody here can do better under ideal conditions, but All Japan rarely is.
The temperature/ice problems (if there were) might have had an effect still.

I wanted to have a podium for at least 5-6 skaters today and watching the ceremony, there was! 😂 so much space, why not put 1-3 onto 1, then 4-6 onto 2 and 7-9 onto 3 :dbana: I'd love to see this picture.

Anyway, I guess the three men that did best in coping with the pressure came out on top (plus they also had decent SPs).

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Haven't seen many people talk about Sumitada - 7th at nationals is pretty good! As well as his pairs career! Will he perhaps get a senior B as a single skater in the new year?
Sumitada was truly impressive. I haven't watched his pairs skates yet, but he gave it his all and had a pretty clean FS. Unfortunately, his pairs partner is only 14 and he is aging out, so they are planning to return to international competition as seniors when she is old enough. A lot can happen between now and then (she might grow too tall, for example), so I guess they are both continuing as singles skaters as well, unless he is matched with an older pairs girl.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Shoma is Box Office the way he saved the second half. Kao M also great to have the second highest free skate score. I do feel like JSF threw Shun Sato under a bus. I just don’t get Japan Fed’s thinking . They basically purposefully eliminated Shun from worlds for what? He is one of the brightest talents, probably in the top 3 in the world in terms of technical ability. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by not giving him a spot.
I think you're the one trying to throw him under a bus. He gets to go to a major international competition in the 4CC and work on his consistency without the pressure of having to earn spots for Team Japan at Worlds, a position that he clearly isn't ready for yet.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
A lot can happen between now and then (she might grow too tall, for example)
That's a very real possibility. She was born and raised in Australia, a place where diet leads to a greater average height than a traditional Japanese diet.

OksVin

Rinkside
I just read the comments. Now looking forward to the video to watch, I hope there will be such an opportunity. But even now it seems to me that the free program has become a disaster for many of those who could be on the podium. Shoma won quietly by doing his job. Koshiro with silver, and this is a huge surprise for me. I want to see it! Kazuki with bronze, and this is a joy for me, he is a very sunny person. But... Shun, Sota, Kao, Yuma... what happened? Why did the National Championship result in a series of mistakes and falls? And incredibly happy for Sumitada!! There was a lot of interesting things, apparently, I really want to see it.