2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Does anyone know if new pair Milania Väänänen (rep Finland with Mikail Akulovo) and her new partner Filippo Clerigi (ITA) will be representing Finland or Italy?
Because I haven't seen a single word about them at local federation's sites, I would have been answered Italy, but if I look at this site at Wikipedia, I suppose it is Finland. Finland makes more sense, because there are no other pairs and it is easier to get spots for international competitions, if they just get the minimums. I did find one article but it was behind paywall.

6MPcI2qgQuwzf7U16cbE26r2drTGtu1B-GiU9QVIiqjr7Pl7W2iG0EYJypd1eE1ZY9onS9I_cqPrk6J_LKAilEUnyXjAnO14lwczcAlw073ILEwQrCXrWx5dwxGBzcIeOHeq8P6Ve0xZMduOP5dNecc

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hannah Sime and Alexander Petrov announced a partnership in May, competing in dance for New Zealand (I think it was posted in the previous thread). But I noticed that Alexander is back on Ice Partner Search (bio updated a couple days ago). So seems that that didn't work out.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't want to see Deanna thrive because of retirements ... but I do want to see her thrive. Along with Maxime of course. :)
Excuse me? Deanna & Maxime were surely always going to be thriving this season with the opportunities that have opened up for them. Why would Deanna/Maxime thriving have anything to do with Evelyn retiring? How well D&M perform this season has no bearing on Evelyn's retirement simply because Evelyn/Trennt have been around as a team longer, and have placed in front of D&M domestically. Honestly, this could be a breakout year for Deanna/Maxime, and I hope they step up to the challenge.

Of course, a clear result of Evelyn/ Trennt splitting is that Deanna/ Maxime can essentially be considered Canada's #1 pairs team now (by virtue of proven skill, maturity, polish & experience as skaters). They will, of course, be contending with McIntosh/Mimar for that domestic mantle. But D&M obviously have the advantage of years of senior experience.

theblade

On the Ice
Partnership-ending scenarios: both live in different locations and are unwilling to give up their family/coaching situation; visa issues; one partner is not improving "fast enough" for the other partner; disagreements when not training with coaches but practicing on the ice together; one decides to change dance schools and the other partner doesn't wish to (after a relocation to a specific school); families of other eligible skaters (usually female) poisoning the well either at the tryout stage or when the team is partnered; politics within the ice dance school; politics within the national skating federation; money to train runs out; both skaters on the team are divas and coming together as partners is too difficult to surmount (there are some very talented dancers out there that aren't partnered because they wish to be the star of the duo and the other skater is treated badly/taken for granted/used/gaslight); different levels of training motivation; sexism; but wait, there's more! This is just a starter list.

Hard to say what happened to them, but it takes an incredible amount of self-control to negotiate a partnership from both skaters. Every duo faces this challenge; some weather the storm, some don't.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Partnership-ending scenarios: both live in different locations and are unwilling to give up their family/coaching situation; visa issues; one partner is not improving "fast enough" for the other partner; disagreements when not training with coaches but practicing on the ice together; one decides to change dance schools and the other partner doesn't wish to (after a relocation to a specific school); families of other eligible skaters (usually female) poisoning the well either at the tryout stage or when the team is partnered; politics within the ice dance school; politics within the national skating federation; money to train runs out; both skaters on the team are divas and coming together as partners is too difficult to surmount (there are some very talented dancers out there that aren't partnered because they wish to be the star of the duo and the other skater is treated badly/taken for granted/used/gaslight); different levels of training motivation; sexism; but wait, there's more! This is just a starter list.

Hard to say what happened to them, but it takes an incredible amount of self-control to negotiate a partnership from both skaters. Every duo faces this challenge; some weather the storm, some don't.
There's a multitude of reasons, including the complications of some young athletes dating each other off-ice. There are difficult emotions that can arise when a professional partnership gets hijacked by unexpected challenges and youthful emotions running rampant.

In the case of Kat & Billy, I would hazard a guess that the coaching situation apparently became complicated. And perhaps they weren't clicking together on-the-ice in ways they had anticipated. That's too bad. Clearly, Kat had made the choice to move to England. But they obviously weren't settled in their coaching situation.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

I'd also add growth spurt (or lack thereof) and long-healing injuries to the list.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder if Max Liebers is related to the former singles skater Peter Liebers?

You got me curious, so I went hunting.

According to the ISU Bio for his partnership with Anne-Marie Wolf, Max was born in Frankenberg. It doesn't say whether it is the one in Hessen (in the former West Germany), or the one in Saxony (in the former East Germany). His Home Town is given as Lichtenau. Again, there are quite a few places with this name in Germany, including one in Hessen and one in Saxony.

BUT, given that Anne-Marie is from Chemnitz, and they belonged to the Chemnitz club, I suspect Max is from Saxony.

Peter (ISU Bio) and older brother Martin (ISU Bio) are both from East Berlin. HOWEVER, their Dad, Mario (Wikipedia), is from Dresden, the capital of Saxony.

So, although I don't have a definitive answer, it is quite possible that Max is indeed related to the Liebers skating dynasty.

By the way, I didn't know that Peter was married to Denise Zimmermann (ISU Bio).

CaroLiza_fan

yesterday

Record Breaker
I wonder if Max Liebers is related to the former singles skater Peter Liebers?

So, although I don't have a definitive answer, it is quite possible that Max is indeed related to the Liebers skating dynasty.

Now you got me interested as well...
Some findings -

Peter Liebers has at least one son, but he is called Emil
Peter Liebers has a brother, Martin
Below Martin's article we can find this url (it's a broken one on wikipedia)

And this site tells us that Martin Liebers also skated/trained for/in Chemnitz
Postings from Max were/are often liked by Roscher/Schuster and possibly other Chemnitz based skaters.
His postings are also liked by Jan Liebers and Benjamin Liebers. (No Emil here)

So my wild guess would be that Peter could be Max's uncle as Martin is father to Max, Jan and Benjamin (though ofc they could be cousins as well).

[If anyone feels exposed by this, let me know and I'll delete it.]

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Now you got me interested as well...
Some findings -

Peter Liebers has at least one son, but he is called Emil
Peter Liebers has a brother, Martin
Below Martin's article we can find this url (it's a broken one on wikipedia)

And this site tells us that Martin Liebers also skated/trained for/in Chemnitz
Postings from Max were/are often liked by Roscher/Schuster and possibly other Chemnitz based skaters.
His postings are also liked by Jan Liebers and Benjamin Liebers. (No Emil here)

So my wild guess would be that Peter could be Max's uncle as Martin is father to Max, Jan and Benjamin (though ofc they could be cousins as well).

[If anyone feels exposed by this, let me know and I'll delete it.]
well...
Martin Liebers was born in 1985... if Max is his son, then he had him at 14 years old... because Max was born in 1999... I would find it almost more plausible that Peter and Martin's father Mario (born in 1960) could have had another figure skating son.. years after the first two... but could be cousins (if Mario had a brother who had a son named Max...) or whatever... or even not related at all...

Emil is 7 years old... Peter and Martin have competed post 2010 (Peter was active in Sochi!!!! and was trying to make it to 2018 games... but retired in January 2018) ... so I don't think they could be the parent of a guy born in 1999... :) without the figure skating fans find out ;)

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
well...
Martin Liebers was born in 1985... if Max is his son, then he had him at 14 years old... because Max was born in 1999... I would find it almost more plausible that Peter and Martin's father Mario (born in 1960) could have had another figure skating son.. years after the first two... but could be cousins (if Mario had a brother who had a son named Max...) or whatever... or even not related at all...

Emil is 7 years old... Peter and Martin have competed post 2010 (Peter was active in Sochi!!!! and was trying to make it to 2018 games... but retired in January 2018) ... so I don't think they could be the parent of a guy born in 1999... :) without the figure skating fans find out ;)

Haha
yeah it was late so I did not look at numbers/dates just followed other paths. But it seems to be quite a large figure skating family. Or there's another family of Liebers' around who knows.
But in general I thought all of them were older than they actually are (so sorry :palmf: :eek:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Haha
yeah it was late so I did not look at numbers/dates just followed other paths. But it seems to be quite a large figure skating family. Or there's another family of Liebers' around who knows.
But in general I thought all of them were older than they actually are (so sorry :palmf: :eek:)
I normally would have left those of you playing detectives on this but i really thought it was an iffy call... and that I needed to look at numbers... why? Simply because I remember seeing Peter Liebers "recently" at ACI 2017... and well... of course, as I said, it's not impossible to have children at a very young age, but it's more difficult not talking about them when one is a public figure...

This is not the competition itself... the practice...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.