2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I love your Avatar. Is that the picture with your French Flag?
Yes!! When Kevin medalled at US Classic, I offered my French flag for the photo ops. I was told later that Kevin was touched by the offer!

I decided to change as a sort of apology to Kevin, for not having enough faith in him in the prediction game—I got the podium all correct, but left him off the list. Shame on me!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Audrey Shin announced that her SP will be to the Pina OST

Also, I heard a rumor that Lindsay T. is getting her short choreographed by Sandra Bezic

Thanks for the update. I wonder who the USA will send to Grand Prix next year? Hoping that Audrey and Lindsay T and Starr all get spots along with Isabeau, Bradie and Amber, next year.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for the update. I wonder who the USA will send to Grand Prix next year? Hoping that Audrey and Lindsay T and Starr all get spots along with Isabeau, Bradie and Amber, next year.
Except for Skate America, USFS doesn't decide on the Grand Prix assignments. ISU has rules about eligibility and hosts choose from eligible skaters.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Except for Skate America, USFS doesn't decide on the Grand Prix assignments. ISU has rules about eligibility and hosts choose from eligible skaters.
I have a feeling it will be those six, chosen by ISU, due to WR and SB.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I have a feeling it will be those six, chosen by ISU, due to WR and SB.
Isabeau and Amber should get two spots guaranteed due to coming top 12 at Worlds.

Bradie and Lindsay are 14 and 19 on SB list; they should stay top 24 and be guaranteed one spot.

A spot based on WR is harder to predict, since they are done after the "yearly rollover" where the oldest year is dropped and the second-oldest discounted to 70% of its value. Right now Audrey is 16th and Starr is 35. So it looks better for Audrey than Starr.

There are, of course, SkAm host picks. But note that if Isabeau and/or Amber are picked for SkAm, they count toward the 3 host picks, even though their 2 spots are guaranteed.

Also note that many skaters who are only guaranteed 1 spot actually gets 2 and that a good SB is better than a good WR because the substitute list is based on SB.

TLDR: it's really complicated!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
First post has been updated to include recent results.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had been wondering what happened to junior skater Kanon Smith. I knew she had injuries, but I had no idea all she had been going through (broken ankle twice and a torn labrum). She posted on Instagram about her recent struggles. Wishing her the best - I love her skating.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
I had been wondering what happened to junior skater Kanon Smith. I knew she had injuries, but I had no idea all she had been going through (broken ankle twice and a torn labrum). She posted on Instagram about her recent struggles. Wishing her the best - I love her skating.

Wow, I had no idea- she has really had a tough road to navigate. Hope she has a good year ahead, sounds like part of the problem was not having proper diagnosis and care. Hope she really is fully healed and strong.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don’t think it’ll happen, but deep down I just want Karen to come back for one last season :cry:
She hasn't announced her retirement yet? As much as I enjoyed Karen Chen, at her best, in her final season there was good and so-so. She never stopped believing, fighting, and dreaming, so that's a victory in and of itself. I think both Mariah and Karen reached their peak and showed us what they had in the 2022 Olympic season. I wish Mariah had been given a shot at the team competition. At least Karen will have an Olympic medal, if the ISU and IOC ever manage to get together on finally rewarding the long-suffering medalists in the team competition. 😕

The Chen I'm hoping will return, is Jeffrey, with Avonley Nguyen as his ice dance partner. 🤞 Hopefully, Avonley is still interested in the battle. She may not be after her previous partner (post her sudden split with Vadym) retired due to injuries.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I thought Amber should've been ahead of Mai and Isabeau ahead of Kaori...
Hmm, I can agree with you that Amber is underscored. The judges seem to punish her more heavily than other competitors, for her errors. Amber def should have placed higher. Loena fought hard, but she should have missed the podium IMO. Loena's music and choreo weren't very good this past season. The judges were simply kind to her, probably due to her being a world medalist the previous season. I think Kaori deserved her win, despite the mistakes. I don’t see any way for Isabeau over Kaori. 👀 Had Isabeau not made the mistake in her program, she probably would have placed third, making the podium over Loena.

There's certainly an argument for Haien Lee over Kaori, but no one else!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She hasn't announced her retirement yet? As much as I enjoyed Karen Chen, at her best, in her final season there was good and so-so. She never stopped believing, fighting, and dreaming, so that's a victory in and of itself. I think both Mariah and Karen reached their peak and showed us what they had in the 2022 Olympic season. I wish Mariah had been given a shot at the team competition. At least Karen will have an Olympic medal, if the ISU and IOC ever manage to get together on finally rewarding the long-suffering medalists in the team competition. 😕

The Chen I'm hoping will return, is Jeffrey, with Avonley Nguyen as his ice dance partner. 🤞 Hopefully, Avonley is still interested in the battle. She may not be after her previous partner (post her sudden split with Vadym) retired due to injuries.
Sometimes they never announce it. Has Carolina Kostner ever officially retired?

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hmm, I can agree with you that Amber is underscored. The judges seem to punish her more heavily than other competitors, for her errors. Amber def should have placed higher. Loena fought hard, but she should have missed the podium IMO. Loena's music and choreo weren't very good this past season. The judges were simply kind to her, probably due to her being a world medalist the previous season. I think Kaori deserved her win, despite the mistakes. I don’t see any way for Isabeau over Kaori. 👀 Had Isabeau not made the mistake in her program, she probably would have placed third, making the podium over Loena.

There's certainly an argument for Haien Lee over Kaori, but no one else!
I think I was talking about World Team Trophy in the post you quoted but I'm not 100% sure. While we're talking about worlds, I do think Haein should've won but that's just me

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think I was talking about World Team Trophy in the post you quoted but I'm not 100% sure. While we're talking about worlds, I do think Haein should've won but that's just me
Oh. I was referencing Worlds. I don't recall everything that happened at WTT. It was fun while watching, but the impressions don't stick in every case. It's fun, but not a major comp.

Haien didn't win Worlds for probably the same reason JunHwan didn't win Worlds. They were both the cleanest in both programs, and if they'd had full rep stature, maybe they would have won. But, keeping in mind that Worlds was in Japan, and both Kaori and Shoma have huge talent and solid rep with judges, it isn't enough for challengers to skate outstandingly well against all expectations.

Because Haien, and JunHwan had both won 4CCs, skating well at Worlds was enough to get on the podium for the first time, but not to win. Kaori and Shoma would have had to make more mistakes, along with the comp not being held in Japan, in order for stellar Haien and JunHwan to prevail.

ETA:
My memory is faulty. I've been corrected that Jun did not win 4CCs. He was in the running, but he placed fourth. That's even more reason for the judges to pause on rewarding him the World title, despite his two clean, bravura skates. He just has to continue proving himself. With consistency, the judges are more willing to extend rep status.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker

wow, that is so unfortunate. i can't imagine how hard it's been for her. i hope she stays healthy and has a strong comeback.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh. I was referencing Worlds. I don't recall everything that happened at WTT. It was fun while watching, but the impressions don't stick in every case. It's fun, but not a major comp.

Haien didn't win Worlds for probably the same reason JunHwan didn't win Worlds. They were both the cleanest in both programs, and if they'd had full rep stature, maybe they would have won. But, keeping in mind that Worlds was in Japan, and both Kaori and Shoma have huge talent and solid rep with judges, it isn't enough for challengers to skate outstandingly well against all expectations.

Because Haien, and JunHwan had both won 4CCs, skating well at Worlds was enough to get on the podium for the first time, but not to win. Kaori and Shoma would have had to make more mistakes, along with the comp not being held in Japan, in order for stellar Haien and JunHwan to prevail.
JunHwan did not win 4CC this year 🥺

Weathergal

Medalist

JunHwan did not win 4CC this year 🥺
Junhwan was 4th at 4CCs. Kao Miura won 4CCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.