2022 4CCs: Men - Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 4CCs: Men - Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Congrats to Cha, Tomono, and Miura for their first medals in this event! While there were no clean skates for the top three, they all earned new personal bests scores throughout the event.

Unfortunately there were no clean skates for the men, for that matter, but well done Mikhail Shaidorov in his debut!

What are your thoughts on the Men's event?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As usual the men's event is great to watch, even with some falls. Just some remarks...

I loved watching both Canadian skaters. I know, I know, not the best in the technical - at least the jumps - department but their programmes are really beautiful te watch, inspiring. And perhaps no quads (although Corey did have a go at one), but the skating skills are top notch. Joseph especially showed what he was made of here. Truly a redemptive skate for him after his SP. And if you take into account he's having a big problem with one of his knees, his achievement today should be celebrated even more.

A shout out to Mikhail Shaidorov from Kazachstan is also in order. That guy is really on the rise, and showed it today.

Another shout out to the complete Japanese team. Wow! It was so nice to see Kozuki doing well again (and his enthusiasm is infectuous), while it was also a joy to watch the other two men who were so close together. Two, three, and four is not a bad tally!

And Junwan Cha? I think he has one of the best Ina Bauers at the moment. Awesome! I really enjoyed the totality of his skate, never mind that there was a fall. And I was happy for him, as well.

A pity that Brendan Kerry fell back a little, but he still ended in 6th place, which isn't a bad placement. And I suppose he's going to the Olympics now (not that I ever doubted that he would be the winner of the Australian criteria) which should please him a lot.

None of the American guys were at their best, which is a pity, becaue when they are, there's so much to enjoy. There still was - I like watching all three of them - but there just was something lacking and it showed in the scores.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I loved watching both Canadian skaters. I know, I know, not the best in the technical - at least the jumps - department but their programmes are really beautiful te watch, inspiring. And perhaps no quads (although Corey did have a go at one), but the skating skills are top notch. Joseph especially showed what he was made of here. Truly a redemptive skate for him after his SP. And if you take into account he's having a big problem with one of his knees, his achievement today should be celebrated even more.
Yes to the Canadian men !!! I was sleeping so I only watched those on the CBC archives so far... but both Corey and Joseph stayed on their feet and delivered. Especially Joseph! His skating is stunning and let's not forget he has both a 4T and a 4S, so hopefully he can heal his knee and get a better season next year. I am very happy both redeemed themselves after the popcorn in the SP.
I am very disappointed with the US men... they cost me a lot of prediction points :) I have yet to watch Jun and Tomono and Kao.. saw the protocols though... not the best skated event I fear... maybe I should just stop watching since Corey and Jo skated well and I have a positive feeling from the event ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A pity that Brendan Kerry fell back a little, but he still ended in 6th place, which isn't a bad placement. And I suppose he's going to the Olympics now (not that I ever doubted that he would be the winner of the Australian criteria) which should please him a lot.

On the men's thread, @gsk8 posted some quotes (loved it) and one was from Brendan. I couldn't decipher what he was saying about having to earn his spot twice. I'm in-an-out of the board randomly, so I might have missed earlier discussion.

What's the deal with that? Was there some doubt that Australia would send him? Or did he have a rival for the spot and this was a skate-off?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
On the men's thread, @gsk8 posted some quotes (loved it) and one was from Brendan. I couldn't decipher what he was saying about having to earn his spot twice. I'm in-an-out of the board randomly, so I might have missed earlier discussion.

What's the deal with that? Was there some doubt that Australia would send him? Or did he have a rival for the spot and this was a skate-off?
As far as I know both Brendan Kerry and Kailani Crane had to do a kind of Skate off at 4CC this year. The skater with the highest TES of two competitions (Finlandia and 4CC) would get to go. I think it was never in doubt about Brendan - though he still had to do it of course and came out the major winner (as expected). In the case of Kailani the results after Finlandia were much closer together, but she made it here as well. And the quote from the interview, refers to the fact that he skated for the spot at Nebelhorn, and got it there. But the spot is for the country, and it's up to the country to demand more.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think it was never in doubt about Brendan - though he still had to do it of course and came out the major winner (as expected).
That‘s such a nonsensical move, not to mention dangerous as well. If he's already so injured, he should be resting before the Olympics.. And instead they force him to compete for no reason whatsoever. Sometimes I hate figure skating federations.

Apart from that, it was a really nice competition. 4CC is shaping up to be my favorite this year.

So happy for Jun. His Ina Bauer is the best in the business. Also, THAT is how you do an effective choreo sequence - there was more applause for it than for most jumps! And it got the +5 GOE it deserved from every judge but one. :love2:

I‘m not as familiar with the rest of the field but I really enjoyed Kazuki's LaLa Land - another great choreo sequence!
Miura and Shaidorov were amazing as well.

The judging was, as in the women's event, surprisingly decent as well. It's just a nice experience, being able to look at a scoresheet and understand where most of the technical calls, GOE and PCS are coming from lol.

Zora

On the Ice
I don't exactly know what it was, but I enjoyed this competition so much more than Europeans. I don't really follow men's skating anymore, I just watch the top skaters, but here everyone from the last two groups was enjoyable to watch. Reminded me of the times when it was my favorite discipline.
I loved that there was very little vocal music, and honestly, as soon as it started in Brendan's and Jun's program, I wanted to stop watching their programs. But I think everyone had good music choices and tried their best with it, many classical programs, but also modern stuff.
I particularly enjoyed the two Canadian skaters and all three Japanese skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, the Camden Roller Coaster continues its ups and downs. Still love his skating but, I wonder where his heart is. He was so great at Nationals and I thought he'd be great and possibly medal here..... :drama:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As far as I know both Brendan Kerry and Kailani Crane had to do a kind of Skate off at 4CC this year. The skater with the highest TES of two competitions (Finlandia and 4CC) would get to go. I think it was never in doubt about Brendan - though he still had to do it of course and came out the major winner (as expected). In the case of Kailani the results after Finlandia were much closer together, but she made it here as well. And the quote from the interview, refers to the fact that he skated for the spot at Nebelhorn, and got it there. But the spot is for the country, and it's up to the country to demand more.

He was not happy about either.

“This event has been unlike the others and it was really frustrating having to try to compete for the Olympic spot I earned again, a week and a half ahead of the Olympic Games,” said the 27-year-old. “Unfortunately, that was a stressful factor, I mean, I felt really confident, but you never know what anyone can do on the day. Unfortunately, as far as this event is concerned, a lot of focus is wasted. You go out to do the best you can. Unfortunately I had it in my mind and my focus was to come here and to do a certain job.”

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kailani's post-FS quote also indicated some unhappiness, though much more subtly - when Brendan won so dominantly, and has been the clear number one for so long, he obviously has much more latitude to say what he's thinking. And so he should.

I am absolutely seething right now.

For the record, if my maths is correct, the final scores?

Brendan: 213.22
James: 150. 70

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well to me, there were two blatantly incompetent federations at 4CC : South Korea for sending their A team right after Nationals and so close to the games... not surprised Young You underperformed here... she must be thinking about Beijing... and Australia : clearly, 1) send your pairs as they need to develop (at least they sent the dance teams) but do not send your clearly already selected singles skater... I mean, the entire planet already knew they were way on top of the others... very stupid, especially considering the current circumstances and injury issues. Oh well...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I couldn't decipher what he was saying about having to earn his spot twice. I'm in-an-out of the board randomly, so I might have missed earlier discussion.
Because he couldn't go to Worlds due to injury, Brendan had to go to Neblehorn to win a spot for the Olympics. Which he did ☺️

Now of course that doesn't guarantee the spot for him, but considering he's far and away our best man it was pretty much a given.

Unfortunately he's also dealing with a serious injury so he has to be super careful with practice and competition. Under normal circumstances he maybe wouldn't have minded going to 4CCs so much, but this was seriously uncool from the AOC :( I expected better from them honestly.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because he couldn't go to Worlds due to injury, Brendan had to go to Neblehorn to win a spot for the Olympics. Which he did ☺️

Now of course that doesn't guarantee the spot for him, but considering he's far and away our best man it was pretty much a given.

Unfortunately he's also dealing with a serious injury so he has to be super careful with practice and competition. Under normal circumstances he maybe wouldn't have minded going to 4CCs so much, but this was seriously uncool from the AOC :( I expected better from them honestly.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have no idea about the Australian selection rules.

Meaning I didn't know if this was like the Sweden situation, where a skater didn't have to just qualify, they had to prove their worthiness... Or if he had not met some aspect of the selection criteria.

All of it caught me off guard, because I've enjoyed him for years, and I've seen no serious Australian rival.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh I had to quit watching after Jimmy, and not sure I'll watch the rest.

I love Camden, but I'm not sure the USFS is doing him any favors by continuing to send him to these competitions where he has extremely bad skates. That fall in the short looked like it might have injured him. I'm not sure what is wrong, whether it is physical or mental, but there's clearly something wrong that needs fixing. I hope he is able to fix it.

And I know Jimmy can skate clean as I've been there and witnessed it in person. I just don't know what to say.

readernick

Medalist
The top 4 were pretty impressive. Japan has incredible depth in it's men's field. Even it's B team is internationally competitive. Kazuki was the highlight of the event for me. I thought he should have been first or closer to first in the SP. However, Jun was also incredible. They both have dynamic choreo sequences.

Kao is probably the only Japanese man who I find to be a tough watch on occasion. He has so much speed and talent but he's a bit messy. He's young and I'm sure he will continue to improve. In terms of JW,I think it will be a face off between Kao, Shun, Ilya, and perhaps Ilya Y or Gleb. I'm personally rooting for Shun because he's the best all-around skater of the group. However, it's an inconsistent field so anything could happen.

Sena Miyabe is a nice skater to watch. Nothing particularly special but very pleasant.

The two Kazak men are completely different in their strengths and weaknesses. Dias is such a good performer and I enjoyed watching him. Michael is not a performer but he is a great technician.

The Canadians did much better in the FS. It was smart to go for simpler and cleaner layouts.

The US 5-7 men were as usual. Full of talent and performance ability. Completely inconsistent.

I can't say anything about Australia that hasn't been said, but poor Brendan and I hope he can stay healthy until the Olympics.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes to the Canadian men !!! I was sleeping so I only watched those on the CBC archives so far... but both Corey and Joseph stayed on their feet and delivered. Especially Joseph! His skating is stunning and let's not forget he has both a 4T and a 4S, so hopefully he can heal his knee and get a better season next year. I am very happy both redeemed themselves after the popcorn in the SP.
I am very disappointed with the US men... they cost me a lot of prediction points :) I have yet to watch Jun and Tomono and Kao.. saw the protocols though... not the best skated event I fear... maybe I should just stop watching since Corey and Jo skated well and I have a positive feeling from the event ;)
Good work by Cha though I have been waiting for him to podium at the worlds and the kind of regressed. He seems to be moving up - he will fight with the Russian Men, maybe Jason Brown, Keegan Messing, Moris K et al. THis is one area where there is glimmer of hope for Canada (well and dance too). Gogolov is a huge question mark - kind of reminds me of Nguyen but I really think Joseph Phan could be the next Patrick Chan. Wonderful skating too bad about the injury.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I also thought it a bit odd that Cha was sent here to compete as he is the strongest male singles skater from South-Korea... On the other hand he did his job wonderfully and will have the title from this competition in his statistics and surely that will rise his scoring favourably the way medals do (and especially a golden one!!!). So, all in all careerwise it was a good thing that he participated. Besides the fact that he was not 100 % perfect here will be a good thing, IMO. It is not so good to skate perfectly so close to the Olympics and now he can try his best there...

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well to me, there were two blatantly incompetent federations at 4CC : South Korea for sending their A team right after Nationals and so close to the games... not surprised Young You underperformed here... she must be thinking about Beijing... and Australia : clearly, 1) send your pairs as they need to develop (at least they sent the dance teams) but do not send your clearly already selected singles skater... I mean, the entire planet already knew they were way on top of the others... very stupid, especially considering the current circumstances and injury issues. Oh well...

I know there were injury issues but they did a disservice to Young. Although who knows if she does well at the Olympics it could have been good to “get the bad one out of her system”. But all it really did was call into question if Lee (who was splendid) should go over either of them.

The PCS was huge here and I’m thrilled for the medalists. It seems with less pressure from the big guns, skaters like Cha and Tomono were able to shine.