2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 1 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 1

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Russia having Sinitsina/Katsalapov do both parts of the team event is baffling to me given how shaky he looks. They should have been below both the Italians and the Canadians.

The USA came on strong here, though a lot is riding on Karen to keep it close if they're to have a real chance at an upset.

Japan on course for a historic team medal.

Rough day for Roman, but that's pretty much what I expected. Maddie, it's all up to you now.
I couldn't believe S/K team were placed higher than G/P of Canada. I re watched G/P and I didn't see any missteps. Katsalapov looked a little sloppy compared to his partner. G/P were quick and smooth as ever...oh well it's the Olympics Ice Dance. I wasn't crazy about H/D of USA either, but then again I'm not a Janet Jackson fan.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shoma artistically was even better than Nathan here, in my opinion. Nathan has just amazing program and performs it very well. His level of artistry is amazing. I think he can do it even better (more free) which would be amazing to watch.
I love both, but Uno has this absolutely awesome ability to move to music, whatever music they play for him. Chen is an athlete out of this world. And, yup, I totally see how his back-loaded combo is scoring more, and should, but Uno was pure distilled joy.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
WHen the team event started, I thought it was kind of dumb but I really love it now. It is great fun to get a preview of the physical and mental shape the athletes are in and spend a few more days speculating (with more evidence) about how the competitors match up. With COVID the last few years and no GPF much of the drama of head-to-head match ups has really been lacking.

It also gives more chances for redemption. Even if H/D don't medal in the individual event, I will remember that incredible short dance performance. THe same is true for Shoma and Nathan and may others.

SaDa

On the Ice
I've never been a fan of Uno's skating so I prefer Nathan's programs and his skating. Just my personal opinion. Pretty sure Uno more than makes up for whatever lack of PCS the judges don't award him by getting huge GOEs on his "flips" anyway.

alida9250

Rinkside
I couldn't believe S/K team were placed higher than G/P of Canada. I re watched G/P and I didn't see any missteps. Katsalapov looked a little sloppy compared to his partner. G/P were quick and smooth as ever...oh well it's the Olympics Ice Dance. I wasn't crazy about H/D of USA either, but then again I'm not a Janet Jackson fan.
I agree to me they always look sloppy. I know H/D have great skills but I never really enjoy their skating. I don't know why but I am not a fan of H/D

alida9250

Rinkside

Lots of new personal bests and great performances!

Nathan Chen climbed near Yuzuru Hanyu's record SP scored of 111.82 (111.71) - This is going to be exciting!

Sui and Han did fabulous! I'm hoping the rest of their performances will be just as good! Mishina and Galliamov got a new PB and Knierim/Frazier did a great job as did Miura/Kihara.

And DANCE :drama:

What are your thoughts of Day 1?
I don't usually enjoy pairs as much as the other disciplines, but I loved Sui and Han and thought Knierim/Frazier were very good.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like in just 3 Olympics the figure skating TE has established itself and while still not as important as the individual events is not looked at as it was back in 2014 when no one knew if it was even going to work. Just the fact that there are other teams besides the big 3 fighting for medals or making the final 5 shows that it's now a legitimate competition and not just some silly thing and if you win a gold medal you will be a true Olympic champion just like all of the others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I feel like in just 3 Olympics the figure skating TE has established itself and while still not as important as the individual events is not looked at as it was back in 2014 when no one knew if it was even going to work. Just the fact that there are other teams besides the big 3 fighting for medals or making the final 5 shows that it's now a legitimate competition and not just some silly thing and if you win a gold medal you will be a true Olympic champion just like all of the others.
YAY :) let's thank Canada for bombing then :) Thank you to our beloved Canadian athletes from 2022 ! Your counterperformance now shows how much greater the 2018 gold medal is worth to all these wonderful athletes who have now retired. :) This post is just from a very tired guy trying to laugh it all ! Sincerely, I think the team event is great and encourages all countries to develop more than just their singles programs.

readernick

Medalist
I've never been a fan of Uno's skating so I prefer Nathan's programs and his skating. Just my personal opinion. Pretty sure Uno more than makes up for whatever lack of PCS the judges don't award him by getting huge GOEs on his "flips" anyway.
Haha maybe ;) Shoma fans know and understand his failings. That being said, this type of prerotation is common among many men's skaters (probably everyone in this event with the exception of Nathan and Boyang) and all the ladies doing quads (a few of the junior ladies are better) so if they are going to punish Shoma, they should punish everyone who does it. Nathan already gets significantly higher GOE on his flip than Shoma does (which is correct). I don't think the Shoma vs Nathan PCS was a travesty. Just on this occasion, I would have had them tied or Shoma slightly ahead. Shoma has better posture and better SS and knee-bend, but he really doesn't do many TRs. His movements are more controlled and precise, but he lacks facial expressions. So, they both have their pros and cons. I do think Nathan and Shoma were the class of the field and the difference between them and their competitors wasn't fully rewarded in terms of PCS. Also, a few of the skaters in the first group like Brezina and Roman really deserve higher PCS than other skaters like Mark K., Grassl, or Morisi but they don't get it because, unfortunately, the judges link PCS to TES. However, this is nothing new.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I'm excited for the team event result. It looks like it will be a closer fight for gold than expected and seeing Knierim/Frazier skate so well and get a seasons best was a highlight. I've surely jinxed it now though as there's loads of pressure on Karen to keep up the good work. Regardless, Team USA have a fair amount of leeway at the moment for silver.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Very impressed by Grassl .He is improving at a rate. Why is he getting lower pcs than Kvitelashvili ? Very strange.
I would ask why Kvitelashvili is getting lower PCS than Kondratiuk instead, tbh. I am sorry to say it - but Grassl is bad in PCS. His skating is on par with Fentz maybe.. well, Fentz is probably better - at least he glides on ice decently and can keep straight posture. Morisi is veteran skater with very light skating, great SS and transitions - who is constantly underscored. Daniel skates as junior - and getting his PCS just for the TES score and Italian federation push.
But, eh, better him than Kvitelashvili
Kvitelashvili has much better SS than Kondratiuk and Grassl combined. You probably don't like him because you don't like his coach.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just love Kvitelashvili's SP! The music, the performance, the jumps, the cartwheel, it's the whole package for me. :points:
In general Team Georgia is my dark horse for the team event. Keeping my fingers crossed that they make it into the FS together with Team Italy!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Nathan is a very powerful skater and a great performer , but his jump landings are a bit stiff and should not really be getting those high GOE
Nathan's 4F was the best I've ever seen it here though. While I do prefer Shoma's landings, Nathan was a lot less toepicky with the landings than he has been in the past, especially on the flip. It was nice to see him have a gorgeous clean jump like that to open up his Olympics.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Nathan was outstanding. Shoma also great. Sad for Roman. He’s such a lovely skater to watch. I hope he does better in the individual event. Maybe Keegan(if they let him enter the Village) can help him with his self-confidence. I also wished Boyang had a better performance.

Pairs was the most enjoyable discipline. Top two were fantastic. Knierim/Frazier and Miura/Kihara with personal bests :clap: Interesting young pairs from GEO, CZE and UKR with big potential for the future.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Nathan's 4F was the best I've ever seen it here though. While I do prefer Shoma's landings, Nathan was a lot less toepicky with the landings than he has been in the past, especially on the flip. It was nice to see him have a gorgeous clean jump like that to open up his Olympics.
To me , his jumps are not very aesthetic.They are well rotated and technically good but usually stiff lacking flow out.His 3A is pretty average .Yuzuru and Shoma have jumps with gorgeous flow that enhance their programs but Nathans are a vehicle to accrue the score . Nothing wrong with that.