2022 Cranberry Cup International | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2022 Cranberry Cup International

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are there any more summer comps? I don't see any listed but remember someone mentioned that there was another one coming up.

And then Jr. Grand Prix #1
There are many more. Depends what level of competition you’re looking for. There’s all the NQS comps for instance. And the Senior B’s.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mark : no quads as far as i know. I have been following him since juniors because he would often be skating in small Canadian competitions. He was born in Ontario, still trains there etc... just doesn't skate for Canada but for Israel. He was one of my favourites when I used to follow more the juniors...
That explains it. I was wondering why he didn’t go to Philly with the rest of the Israeli team, but they all train in NJ so it was a very close venue for them.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Judging by protocols, the Free was a disaster. Oh, well. Still keeping fingers crossed for Schizas.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are many more. Depends what level of competition you’re looking for. There’s all the NQS comps for instance. And the Senior B’s.
All. I want it all :biggrin: I think I was referring to the Senior B's because I'd seen them discussed.

Sackie

Medalist
Regards to Can Ladies - Lia Pereira outskated the SR ladies here. And that was with one less element. The Sr ladies need to keep an eye out for our JRs. Of course I am sure Lia was a little better prepared for this event since she has a JPG in a couple weeks so her training would be planning for that event and probably further along them those not skating until the fall. What impressed with Lia was that she was in 1st after the short and still went for it and did a nice free too. And now she knows that when she skates well she can place well.

Green Carrots

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Regards to Can Ladies - Lia Pereira outskated the SR ladies here. And that was with one less element. The Sr ladies need to keep an eye out for our JRs. Of course I am sure Lia was a little better prepared for this event since she has a JPG in a couple weeks so her training would be planning for that event and probably further along them those not skating until the fall. What impressed with Lia was that she was in 1st after the short and still went for it and did a nice free too. And now she knows that when she skates well she can place well.
It was really great skate for Lia as she earned only 135 points at NextGen earlier in the season so that's a lot of progress. I hope she'll be able to do same at the jgp. Still I think Schizas is the best from Canadian girls now and I hope she'll defend her position next time when she will be in better conditions

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not so. Lia skated cleanly, but then she did a solo flip and lutz at the beginning of the free program and a 2a-3t but then all the rest of her jumps were easier---3t, 3s and 3lo. Doing two 3s and two 3t wouldn't help her much in seniors.

Amber Glenn did two flips and a lutz, and one of her flips was a 3/3 combo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not so. Lia skated cleanly, but then she did a solo flip and lutz at the beginning of the free program and a 2a-3t but then all the rest of her jumps were easier---3t, 3s and 3lo. Doing two 3s and two 3t wouldn't help her much in seniors.

Amber Glenn did two flips and a lutz, and one of her flips was a 3/3 combo.
The base value in single women skating is very rarely a factor unless they are doing quads and 3a. It's really all about how well things are landed. Doing a solo flip and solo lutz at the beginning, to get the bonus on the combos pretty much makes up points for doing combos on the harder jumps at the beginning of the program...

I am not saying here that Lia would outskate the senior women. I am simply saying the argument about the base value which is SO true in Men skating has pretty much no incidence in pairs and women skating were grade of execution is really what separates them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a lot easier to skate clean if you are doing solo lutz and flip and then do easier jumps for the rest of the program. Although Lia won't be competing against seniors in the JGP, there are Japanese and Korean skaters who can deliver clean performances with a full range of harder jumps and combinations.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Let's not forget that some seniors also use this strategy : easier but cleaner programs and do pretty well. There will always be skaters with harder content than others. They are celebrated. Let's be fair for those who go with the other strategy... to each their own, no need to belittle anyone because they do things their way... I remember a certain Kaetlyn Osmond who was criticized by some because she didn't backload her elements like some others... well... by sticking to her strategy, she got the better of all skaters one year... :)