2022 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb: Info and Pre-game Chat

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm expecting 2 pairs to withdraw, one Italian and one American. We'll see those at the GPF! Hopefully there are enough substitutes although only the USA has an official substitute pair.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had forgotten all who were originally listed but according to AnythingGOEs twitter... Grassl has withdrawn in men. In women, withdrawals from Mikutina, Kiibus, Pezzetta, Repond, and Lamsam. (Plus, Thorngren in and Levito out as I had previously mentioned.) In pairs, Kovalevs, Piegad/Streklin, Conti/Macii are out with Faula/Belle in. In dance, Demougeot/le Mercier and Dupayage/Nabais have withdrawn. And citing the USFS assignment site (these aren't reflected on the ISU page yet)... Chan/Howe are out with McBeath and Bartholomay in and Ilia Malinin is out, with no substitute listed (at least not yet).

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland is sending only Emmi and I guess the reason is nationals are so close. But does quite many countries have nationals at these times? Emmi needs scores if she wants the spot for Europeans - and more than 175 - it is still not enough, but it is another topics subject.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Finland is sending only Emmi and I guess the reason is nationals are so close. But does quite many countries have nationals at these times? Emmi needs scores if she wants the spot for Europeans - and more than 175 - it is still not enough, but it is another topics subject.
Canada has challenge which is the qualification for Nationals... but many skaters already have qualified for Nationals (they have byes as they did compete earlier this season... ) so ... the Fed prefers keeping them at home instead of competing internationally.. UGH

Sackie

Medalist
But by keeping them home they do not get out there for international judges nor does it help them with Mins nor SB scores for next season. It seems to be a catch 22. Skate Canada won't send them til they feel they are ready to do well, yet with out the experience and being seen by international judges they won't (can't) do well. I know must of us don't like it but the fact is reputation does play a big part in skating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But by keeping them home they do not get out there for international judges nor does it help them with Mins nor SB scores for next season. It seems to be a catch 22. Skate Canada won't send them til they feel they are ready to do well, yet with out the experience and being seen by international judges they won't (can't) do well. I know must of us don't like it but the fact is reputation does play a big part in skating.
well sure... but who knows how they think? are they trying to save money? do they want to compare them right there in one place by grouping them at challenge? the point is that the ones with byes will not go to challenge much anyways...

Of course, Skate Canada doesn't really owe us any explanation or do they(my tax money funds Own the Podium, which allocates money to Skate Canada )? I wish they would give us some more details about why our athletes are not sent as much as let's say, the American athletes...

Last edited:

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada needed to send more women to this event instead of skating at Challenge.
It seems like its pinning all its hopes on Madi.
Not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. Better to nurture a backup as well.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Yaro! last time i saw him he had a boot problem at national
He's competed in a smaller competition in.. late summer, was it in California? There was a stream on youtube.
He did the short and I think he won it and then, after 2 jumps during his FS, he WD :scratch2: but he did not seem upset about it, rather expecting it, whatever he felt was not ready for two programs in a row.
He did his Elvis program.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
He's competed in a smaller competition in.. late summer, was it in California? There was a stream on youtube.
He did the short and I think he won it and then, after 2 jumps during his FS, he WD :scratch2: but he did not seem upset about it, rather expecting it, whatever he felt was not ready for two programs in a row.
He did his Elvis program.
i hope his boots are fine this time