2022 European Championships: Men's Free Skate | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2022 European Championships: Men's Free Skate

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I feel divisive (the word from dictionary, I hope it is a right word). I am happy Denis and Daniel got medals but I like to all the skaters be clean. I have stopped to pay much attention to PCS, because I cannot effect to them and I really don't know every rules behind them. I just enjoy and watch.

I wonder how long one person can keep the smile on, I mean Denis. I am sure he sleeps, if he even can sleep, with a smile on his face. I prefer competitions than galas, but I think I must watch gala this time.

Valtter Virtanen has been interviewed a lot. He works 10 hours / week and concentrates on skating and his one-year-old daughter the rest of the time. He practices in a small village called Peurunka in the middle part of Finland and pays everything himself (maybe he has some sponsors, I don't know). Working as a doctor makes it possible and doctors are well paid in Finland, compared to average salaries.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I just wish some people on here would add "imo" or "I think" when they post. I forget it myself sometimes, but always explains if that happens.

It is very tiresome to read about corruption, overscoring, bonuses and powerful Feds. Those things are opinions, not facts.

So, get your facts straight people❤
That’s an opinion you’re expressing there.

IMO corruption, overscoring, bonuses, and powerful Feds are facts in figure skating competition. They’ve always been present since I can remember, but they’ve become horrendous in the last decade. Talent and hard work don’t get you anywhere unless you have the rest of the package. IMO. Russia (and before that, the Soviet bloc, which hasn’t entirely evaporated in skating or politically) has always been at the center of the shenanigans. IMO.

Note: the scoring system was changed after SLC Olympics precisely because of corruption, bribes, and powerful Feds.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I am happy to see Deniss win the Bronze. I don't know much about his career but, I know he's a great spinner. Has he ever Medaled before?
It's the first Euro medal for him as well as for his country, Latvia. He has placed 4th in the past.
Despite being only 22, he's already had a looong senior career, through coaching changes, growth spurts, injuries and a (very frustrating) tendency to mess skates. At times, it felt like he was stagnating, in spite of his talent.
Yesterday he delivered, and I feel so happy and grateful. I wish him a great OG participation!

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think most people did not expext Vasiljevs to skate that well, not even his coach, LOL... I´m glad that he got his bronze medal!!! And I´m really happy that Grassl won the silver medal, WOW.

So it was Kondratiuk who had the best nerves while two other Russians fell under pressure.

Mozartistique

On the Ice
Country
France
Just caught up with the last group of the competition, unfortunately I could only find Deniss full free skate but not the others. He was marvelous! the 4S looked amazing but he got a q call. the rest of his jumps looked very comfortable + the quality of his spins and his skating skills and very good interpretation of the music earned him the n°1 placement from 3 of the jdges (Netherlands, Austria, Czech Republic). So happy to see him podium. Surprised he got the Flip calls because he went through 2021 without any edge call.

Mozartistique

On the Ice
Country
France
Looking at Daniel 's score sheet: he deliverd a clean skate with his first ratified 4Lo-Eu-3S (actually THE first ratified)! the 4Lz was not his best but 3 judges gave it positive GOE. the 4F was nice. In comparison with the field here he was one of the top spinners (great improvements this season).
He was placed in first in the free skate by the Bulgarian and Turkish judges (they gave +2 and +1 GOE on the 4Lz and 84,50 and 86 respective PCS).
I'm surprised about the Lutz calls because it's the first calls this season and he only had one 4Lz call last season then his last 3Lz call was in 2019! I mean the call is fair but why now specifically and why call the Lutz but not the Flip, when Deniss got a Flip call?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just caught up with the last group of the competition, unfortunately I could only find Deniss full free skate but not the others. He was marvelous! the 4S looked amazing but he got a q call. the rest of his jumps looked very comfortable + the quality of his spins and his skating skills and very good interpretation of the music earned him the n°1 placement from 3 of the jdges (Netherlands, Austria, Czech Republic). So happy to see him podium. Surprised he got the Flip calls because he went through 2021 without any edge call.
I thought ISU had them all in separate clips for top 10 or so?

Mozartistique

On the Ice
Country
France
*looking at the score sheet*
Mark's free must have been great with 3 quads and 2 triple axels landed, but it seems like only the first 3A and the 4S-eu-3S were done with ease, and he fought for landing the 3 others. This program has a lot of buildup until the last moments, very exciting to watch.
Anyways, this was enough for the win in the free: he was placed first by 4 out of 9 judges + 1 of the others placed him above Grassl.
So happy about the Win, he's getting so much momentum, and i rewatched his free skate at the Chanel 1 event from last year : He is going to peek for the Olympics!

Mozartistique

On the Ice
Country
France
looking at the score analysis on SkatingScores here
PCS are way wilder here that in the Grand prix series because the Pannel is fully European + there was the combo of Belarus, Russia, and Azerbaijan on the panel, while there was no Italian judge for 3 Italian skaters.
Something seems odd about the scores Kevin Aymoz received: The Aziri and Russian judge only gave 80 PCS and ranked him in 8th in the free, IE under Mozalev and Semenenko and others.
The french judge who was seated in between them gave wild scores to the Russians: 106 TES for Kondratiuk, (I mean they gave big scores to any clean quad or 3A but here they gave big GOE to Mark. I feel like they were under pressure or something.
The British judge who gave Deniss score above Semenenko in the Short program was replaced hmm:rolleyes:
Surprisigly the Aziri judge lowballed their own skater Litvintsev. Did they want to not appear biased or is the fed angry aginst him?

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Kornel, such a great skate! I just love the way he glides <3
Michal, hooray for that clean skate! He's so fun and likable, I start snickering a bit every time he does his pointing thing, but that's adorable all the same :)
Nikita is a lovely skater! Also, Yorik - I started following the sport when he was about to retire, and I don't remember his face well, and now he's wearing a mask every time in KnC, you can see only the eyes :)
The third group! So glad to see Ivan here, he was amazing in the short, I always enjoy his penchant for high drama so much <3 So happy for him, he apparently now had more opportunities to skate and practice! Oh Ivan, nooo!
Vladimir Litvintsev - he's a gorgeous skater, glad for a clean skate for him!
GOD DENISS! That was something incredible!!! So happy for him! And I love the ponytail. And Prokofiev's R&J, and it fits him perfectly! Wow, that was some skate!
DANIELLLLL!
I love them all so much. So different, and so awesome, each one of them! And so great there were many clean skills, far less stressful to watch, then usual!
Mark is so sweet and humble! He's a great European champion! And such a cool program to JCS <3
And I was rooting so hard for Deniss and Daniel to medal, they delivered something incredible here, so well deserved!