2022 Europeans - Men: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Europeans - Men: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So many great skates!

Fantastic debut for Kondratiuk! Vasiljevs and Grassl finally get a European medal!

What are your thoughts on the Men's event?

Last edited:

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Mozalev had everything, absolutely everything to hand himself over to the Russian Federation with a silver or gold medal to be the 3rd place in the Olympics and he wasted this opportunity...

The 3rd place of ladies, men and dance will be defined in the final of the Russian Cup...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had reached the point where I had accepted that Deniss was never going to have a moment like that. And even better, his career best free earned him a medal. I love when that happens.

I think Mozalev gets the third Olympic spot — he didn’t do it with aplomb, but he’s beaten Semenenko twice in a row now.

ruga

Final Flight
Deniss didn't win the gold, but absolutely won my heart! Mark also performed super well. Also glad to see Kevin getting stronger every competition. And a huge honor to witness the chaos that is Daniel and his program. PCS judging was absolutely illogical, but I'm happy about the podium anyway.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I loved that move (and it was choreographed to be :cool:) after Deniss landed his quad. He killed it with his rapier :laugh:

And Lambiel's reaction afterwards. He couldn't believe what just happened :laugh:
What a night for both of them!

And for all of us in Latvia :yahoo:The history has just been made!

Idiote

On the Ice
Wow, what an event !

Big big shoutout to my fellow frenchperson Kévin, today was not perfect but he's just an absolute treat to watch 💜💚💜 I'm a little bit mad that they put Morisi above him overall, but well, it's fine. May Kévin stay Covid and injury free, and have the greatest time at the Olympics !

Him and Vasiljevs were my absolute favorites of the night ! Deniss was unbelievable, his and Stephane's reactions after the skate were so adorable :3 I first fell in love with Deniss's personality a few years ago (before he was with Lambiel), I distinctly remember him hitting the final pose of his free skate, very serious and epic (like this : è.é), and immediately after the music ended he just went like : 😁 and my heart melted x') He's just one of the most wholesome skaters out there, and I'm overthrilled he got a medal.

Daniel Grassl was pretty impressive too, congrats on the silver ! I remembered him vividly from Gran Premio, and he seemed quite nervous today, especially going after Vasiljevs' gorgeous skate. But those quads, oh my. Well done !

And well done Mark for this well deserved gold ! I might be in the minority but I really like both his programs this year, they make him stand out, and despite a few little mistakes he skated superbly. All hail the new European champion, may thee be blessed again at the Olympics o/

I am quite worried for Andrei Mozalev, though. Overall he skated really well, his SP was amazing and he fought nicely through his FS, I was shocked that he missed the podium. Zayak, maybe ? Even though I'm super happy Deniss got a bronze medal, I hope that Andrei did enough to be reconsidered for the Olympic team, but I'm not so sure he will... He made the choice tough, but he missed the chance to make a decisive statement. Fingers crossed for him !

Semenenko and Kvitelashvili aren't generally my cup of tea, so I don't want to talk about them too much. They struggled, but fought through bravely. I wish them the best.

Lastly, just wanted to mention the young skater who did a Joker program, because I've been in love with this movie's soundtrack ever since it came out and I'm thrilled someone skated to it. Though, I think this young man lacked the maturity for it imo, and interpreted the music a little too premier degré. I sure hope it will inspire more skaters to try out these gorgeous musics :D

Congratulations to all the skaters !

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am so happy for see Grassl recognized. I kept seeing him putting those amazing skates and finally I see him podium!

Deniss’ 4S for me is inspirational, even though I am absolutely gutted for Mozalev.

However, with 265 score, with 4th place in Euro and his 1GP, and 2 challengers, and, maybe if he also skates well in the Russia’s Cup Final, I hope he had done enough to be considered for 2GP events come next season. In the end of the day, from where he was starting this season, to where he came to Euro on 3 day notice, and where what failed him in the end was the same lack of competition experience, not so much his overall preparedness… because he could have saved it if he played it safe with jumping second 2S… anyway, I hope he had done enough to start gaining serious experience and exposure to senior skating on the highest level where he would eventually be able to compete.

I still think Mozalev was very, very good, just the other guys were better on that day, but he is competitive.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally got to see some of the skates. Top three and Kévin.

Deniss! You have had my heart since Puttin' on the Ritz, but seeing a grown up Deniss slay. Yes.:clap:

I don't know how Grassl does it. And he says he wants to skate like Jason Brown. If he could actually do that and land those jumps, he'd be unbeatable. ;) And Mark is such an entertainer, it's difficult not to root for his skates.

Kévin has had such an up and down season, so happy to see him finish on an "up". I am looking forward to watching Andrei and Zhenya S., just haven't had time yet

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Mozalev had everything, absolutely everything to hand himself over to the Russian Federation with a silver or gold medal to be the 3rd place in the Olympics and he wasted this opportunity...

The 3rd place of ladies, men and dance will be defined in the final of the Russian Cup...
No, the Russian Cup is in late February, so no time for official skate offs...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There's always the dreaded closed door skate off option...
I don’t really see why. I mean, who and why would want to initiate that, given how close the guys are, and that nothing had changed in their situation vs before Eu. They literally confirmed the status quo with Mozalev’s slight advantage.