2022 Europeans: Men's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay! I’m not worthy.
We are all worthy ☺️

I'll add more info when I get the chance.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dear all. I had a great time watching the men's Short Programmes - although only after the event. I really enjoyed it. The variety of skaters, music and their skating styles, kept me glued to the screen.

I really enjoyed watching quite a few lower level skaters of whom some showed great skating skills and musicality. I felt sorry for Adam Hagara who just missed the cut but looked lovely. But of course I was happy for Davide Lewton Brain who did make it and had a lovely outing also.

I've never seen the three Russian guys (and I've watched and enjoyed watching all three before) skate so well as they did yesterday. Exciting to see them so close together in the results - and deservedly so. I felt Daniel Grassl was a bit underscored (despite me thinking he's had more fitting programmes - he aint no Kolyada with that music), but still a good result and close enough. Morisi was 'good Morisi' last night, and what fun he is, when he skates well. And Deniss Vasiljevs is such a joy to watch - he's getting better and better and doesn't need a quad to demonstrate this (but his hairdo needs fixing although I do like the ponytail during the spins).

Seeing good skates from the skaters from Ukraine and Azerbeijan was also a joy. Both Vladimir Litvintsev (A) and Ivan Schmuratko (U) did well. Gabriele Frangipani was his usual exuberant, rushed self, but it worked out perfectly today. Great to see Nikolaj Memola doing well also - he made good use of his last minute chance to skate here. It was also nice to see the German guys both doing well, even if Paul Fentz did not hold his quad. But Nikita Starostin is on his way up. And isn't Arlet Levandi the cutest ever? Dr. Valtter had a good outing also (I have so much respect for this guy) while Maurizio Zandron and Michal Brezina did not have the skates they wished for, but (phew) still managed to make the cut.

I'm sure I've forgotten some (my apologies to the fans) but on the whole it was just a great event.

Edit: I forgot all about Kevin Amoz. Not yet his old self (two falls) but it does look as if he is back on track gain.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
No - he is MILES better than Kolyada. And he knows how to smile.
He does, doesn't he? And a beautiful smile it is. I still think he was a bit underscored though. I've come to associate this programme with Kolyada's moves and he just mesmerised me last season whenever he skated it. I'd rather see Daniel doing something else, although he definitely skated well!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Enjoyable competition!!! The Russians are so close that anything can happen in the freeskate... It will be exciting to watch which ones have the best nerves. Close are too 4-6, especially I liked Grassl´s performance.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I sound mean, but why does he keep going? He's been around for years and hasn't improved - he can't even finish off his programmes correctly, it's like he doesn't care.

Perhaps he enjoys skating. Perhaps he likes being the 3 time National Champion of Bulgaria and of Azerbaijan. Maybe he thinks he might inspire other skaters in his country. Maybe he thinks people enjoy watching him (I do, Larry!)

If we only had top 6 competitors in each discipline to compete I would be very bored. Although my mom would love it. She only wants to see the final flight. So that’s what she watches.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Perhaps he enjoys skating. Perhaps he likes being the 3 time National Champion of Bulgaria and of Azerbaijan. Maybe he thinks he might inspire other skaters in his country. Maybe he thinks people enjoy watching him (I do, Larry!)

If we only had top 6 competitors in each discipline to compete I would be very bored. Although my mom would love it. She only wants to see the final flight. So that’s what she watches.
Well, OK. But he could at least make an effort to finish properly. You can have the most disastrous skate EVER, but you should still finish up smiling and presenting to the judges and crowd. He never does and it's a downer to see.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'm just starting with the Men SP, so excited to see them, it's been a long time. I remember Kornel Witkowski, he's such a nice skater! And there's a new Latvian skater, too, that's nice!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Guys, was anyone watching the archived stream by ISU? I am not sure if they didn't archive it, or if some music company had their archived Men SP blocked. The latter sounds more likely to me, unfortunately.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Guys, was anyone watching the archived stream by ISU? I am not sure if they didn't archive it, or if some music company had their archived Men SP blocked. The latter sounds more likely to me, unfortunately.
It’s not blocked for me in Canada, and Canada is usually brutal with music rights.

surimi

Record Breaker
It’s not blocked for me in Canada, and Canada is usually brutal with music rights.
Thanks for replying. I am genuinely confused now. I am in Europe so I expected our channels like Eurosport would buy the rights, and I would be unable to see ISU content without a VPN. Yet, I can see all EC competitions on their Youtube channel other than Pairs Short and Men Short. That doesn't make any sense to me. 😵‍💫

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

surimi

Record Breaker

Thanks for sharing. I am told the video is inavailable, and it goes straight to Women's Free. ;_; Really bizarre, as our TV has aired all disciplines, but only Men SP and Pairs SP on the ISU channel are inaccessible for me. And if it's a music company blocking it, I wonder why they'd use different rules for Poland and different ones for Czech republic... Super strange.