2022 CS Finlandia Trophy: Info and Pre-game Chat | Golden Skate

2022 CS Finlandia Trophy: Info and Pre-game Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022 CS Finlandia Trophy is the fifth in a series of 10 events of the 2022-23 Figure Skating Challenger Series and is scheduled to take place in Espoo, Finland, October 5-9, 2022, at the Espoo Metro Areena. The event will feature all four figure skating disciplines (Men, Women, Pairs, and Ice Dance).

If the requirements specified in the above-mentioned documents are fulfilled, the event will count towards ISU World Standing Points, Minimum Total Technical Score, Challenger Series in Figure Skating Ranking and Prize Money.

The Challenger Series is an International Figure Skating Series, introduced during the 2014-15 season. Through ISU support, the objective is to ensure the proper and consistent organization and conduct of up to 10 International Competitions linked together within the Challenger Series. The Series gives adequate opportunities for many skaters to compete at the international senior level and earn World Standing Points. The Series also increases the opportunity for Officials to officiate at an international level.

To be considered for the Challenger Series, the competition must have at least three disciplines (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of 10 different ISU Members in all disciplines combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
Israel
Hi, I thought maybe somebody can help me here, I want to attend the competition at every discipline except for ice dance, but the only options are for an "all-event ticket", does that mean the option to choose events will open later or am I missing something??

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, I thought maybe somebody can help me here, I want to attend the competition at every discipline except for ice dance, but the only options are for an "all-event ticket", does that mean the option to choose events will open later or am I missing something??

The announcement was just added, but I'm not seeing any ticket info. But there are contacts on there you can try ;)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think the all-event might be the cheaper option for you than buying separate tickets for three disciplines. I may be mistaken as I haven't seen this year's page so no idea what's on offer, but I think all-events came less expensive than seperate event tickets, a few years back. Plus you get to see official practices at the main rink which are held at other times than competition times.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Day ticket sales will be starting on August 9th at 10.00.

It is Finnish time, UTC+3.

Edit: I agree with surimi, if you want skip only ID, all event maybe more be cheaper than buy three different tickets. But we will see if there will be sale later. I would have probably attented this, if GP was not arranged in Finland. I think many others have same reason as me: money and work. And some may save their money and time for Euros.

Last edited:

Violetti

On the Ice
There will be only day tickets, so you can not choose by dicipline.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Team Finland is not announced officially but I found site this just by chance when I was looking for something else information :

tTgL_iiPzxAyFbjLRfWkKId71nbSG9cxdPBT28gxHaM5Z7zSaliawGwQ7mGCjkaBogL1XGXcen2eR9XU7k3xh0n7_WVjFf2wHFBMGGpcZunRCcdXB38RnJ70Uwi0QpGhRp5KyXy5IHrQTGBwOmuL1Eg4MBbfr24rd-zrf6QeaCJ4ogYE-BXAs9kxOw

I am a little bit surprised about the women, not surprised about Linnea or Oona, but about it that there is no Jenni S., Emmi P. or Olivia Lisko. There might be injuries or they have not succeed at possible selection games. Well, Janna is technically maybe the most talented of the senior women now when she is age eligible to compete in them. Emmi, Jenni, Olivia are announced to compete in other competitions later, but usually they choose the best skaters to Finlandia. Nella has not competed at seniors internationally yet, but she had good SPs at JGPs, so maybe she have skated also well in possible selections, if there has been some.

Country
Norway
Hopefully the entries are just around the corner! I´m also surprised Jenni isn´t listed. I would think Emmi needs more time to train after her surgery, on a recent Instagram story she said she just started jumping triples again (like 2 weeks ago), but she probably has a way to go with restoring her combos and do full programs.

pohatta

On the Ice
Hopefully the entries are just around the corner! I´m also surprised Jenni isn´t listed. I would think Emmi needs more time to train after her surgery, on a recent Instagram story she said she just started jumping triples again (like 2 weeks ago), but she probably has a way to go with restoring her combos and do full programs.
Jenni first skated at Finlandia Trophy eight years ago, that was also my first trip to Metro Areena or whatever it was called then. Since they host three major competitions this season and Emmi & Jenni are in the GP entry list, I'm not surprised they pass this by.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jenni first skated at Finlandia Trophy eight years ago, that was also my first trip to Metro Areena or whatever it was called then. Since they host three major competitions this season and Emmi & Jenni are in the GP entry list, I'm not surprised they pass this by.
Yes, that makes sense. They give opportunity to others to skate in front of the home audience. Also I skip Finlandia this year, because of I am going to watch GP live, I cannot arrange free from job for both.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It seems also Janna Jyrkinen will not skate at all at juniors this season. She can get the spot for JWC, though, because she has TES from last season. Best luck for her and everybody else at Finlandia.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Entries are out!

Men:

Women

Pairs

Ice Dance

surimi

Record Breaker
So. Entries are out, and my fears are confirmed: not a single Japanese skater. I absolutely despise Japanese Federation for what they did to their skaters this season. And to their foreign fans.
- Kana and Daisuke. No Challenger. Their counterparts got one.
- Mai, Rino, Yuhana, Rion, all without a Challenger. Kaori, Wakaba, Rinka and Mana all got one.
- all the best Japanese men except for Koshiro and Kazuki - no Challenger.
Thanks, JSF and Kinoshita, you have managed to completely turn me off Koshiro with your undeserved prezzies for him, although he seems to be a nice boy and a decent skater otherwise.

Country
Norway
So no skaters from Norway as expected :( I wish Norway would spend more money on sending skaters to Challengers and start doing so earlier in the season :( Even Denmark is going to Finlandia. I´m not surprised though. Last year they only sent skaters to one Challenger before Christmas, the one in Austria in November. I guess they will do the same this year, and before that skaters will go to Senior B events. But it would just have been nice to have Norway represented in Finland. It seems no of the current skaters are listed as elite skaters in Norway now, I think that´s the reason that Sondre and Anne Line/Camilla was sent to more Challengers, I know there is a difference in money funding.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So. Entries are out, and my fears are confirmed: not a single Japanese skater. I absolutely despise Japanese Federation for what they did to their skaters this season. And to their foreign fans.
- Kana and Daisuke. No Challenger. Their counterparts got one.
- Mai, Rino, Yuhana, Rion, all without a Challenger. Kaori, Wakaba, Rinka and Mana all got one.
- all the best Japanese men except for Koshiro and Kazuki - no Challenger.
Thanks, JSF and Kinoshita, you have managed to completely turn me off Koshiro with your undeserved prezzies for him, although he seems to be a nice boy and a decent skater otherwise.
That's just terrible. Particularly for Mai as she's the reigning 4CC champion. :angry:

surimi

Record Breaker
That's just terrible. Particularly for Mai as she's the reigning 4CC champion. :angry:

I beg to disagree. It's disappointing that champions are not sent to Challengers (it's not just Mai, it's Kagiyama and Uno in men as well), but their situation is still very good because they're easily in the world top 10. Their assignment chances won't suffer, that's for sure.
What's 'terrible' are skaters who are lower than 20th in WS, and only get GP while every European boy and girl is busy racking up points in CS and B events to climb as high as they can in WS, and get many opportunities for a new SB.
These unfortunate Japanese only have to have an off day, a bad case of nerves, or a minor injury on their GP, and they're going to drop down the world standings like stones, while less talented skaters, but from smarter federations, will easily pass them over for next year's assignments. If Mai, a medal favorite, not being assigned to lesser events is 'terrible' to you, then what word would you use to describe the predicament of someone like Sena Miyake? He was 4th at 4CC. Now he only got assigned to Skate America, to compete against Kagiyama, Cha, Miura and Malinin. That would be my definition of awful.

With the absence of Russians coupled with the unfair non-assignments for Japan and China, the world standings have just become a worthless piece of paper. They will not feature those who are the best anymore, but the ones who get the most opportunities. It's not the fault of the Japanese and the Chinese skaters that their own fedrations are trying to kill their careers, and lose FS yet more fans. As if the ban on Russians and Hanyu's retirement are not detrimental enough for FS's popularity, ISU and JSF have to pile up yet more bad news.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I beg to disagree. It's disappointing that champions are not sent to Challengers (it's not just Mai, it's Kagiyama and Uno in men as well), but their situation is still very good because they're easily in the world top 10. Their assignment chances won't suffer, that's for sure.
What's 'terrible' are skaters who are lower than 20th in WS, and only get GP while every European boy and girl is busy racking up points in CS and B events to climb as high as they can in WS, and get many opportunities for a new SB.
These unfortunate Japanese only have to have an off day, a bad case of nerves, or a minor injury on their GP, and they're going to drop down the world standings like stones, while less talented skaters, but from smarter federations, will easily pass them over for next year's assignments. If Mai, a medal favorite, not being assigned to lesser events is 'terrible' to you, then what word would you use to describe the predicament of someone like Sena Miyake? He was 4th at 4CC. Now he only got assigned to Skate America, to compete against Kagiyama, Cha, Miura and Malinin. That would be my definition of awful.

With the absence of Russians coupled with the unfair non-assignments for Japan and China, the world standings have just become a worthless piece of paper. They will not feature those who are the best anymore, but the ones who get the most opportunities. It's not the fault of the Japanese and the Chinese skaters that their own fedrations are trying to kill their careers, and lose FS yet more fans. As if the ban on Russians and Hanyu's retirement are not detrimental enough for FS's popularity, ISU and JSF have to pile up yet more bad news.
I agree with everything you say, I just mentioned Mai because she's one of my all time favorites. And I do feel bad for Miyake as Skate America is a tough field to have your only GP assignment. I love the Japanese skaters and I have always agreed with your posts.

surimi

Record Breaker
I agree with everything you say, I just mentioned Mai because she's one of my all time favorites. And I do feel bad for Miyake as Skate America is a tough field to have your only GP assignment. I love the Japanese skaters and I have always agreed with your posts.

Thank you, and sorry if I sounded snide in the previous post. That was not directed at you of course, but I'm currently full of frustration with JSF and partly also ISU.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, and sorry if I sounded snide in the previous post. That was not directed at you of course, but I'm currently full of frustration with JSF and partly also ISU.
I totally understand. I get excited when the entries are announced and then I see the field is either totally stacked or empty, no in between.