2022 Four Continents: Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Free Dance

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'm very pleased with the podium here:
  • So glad that Christina and Anthony were able to finish their toughest season on a high and that they have some more confidence to carry them into the next quad. In a way they had the most work to do today and they delivered when it mattered. A great comeback from Nationals.
  • Pleased for Daisuke but actually more so for Kana - he has worked hard but she is an excellent partner and has been a great guide for him into ice dance.
  • Well deserved from Caroline and Michael - I guess now the question is will USFS still be pushing for C/B to continue when they have 2 teams guaranteed a top 10 at worlds?
Great points! C/B have a good chance of becoming world champions next year and it sounds like they want to continue. If they are healthy and still motivated then I'm all for it :giggle:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily Bratti/Ian Sumerville

Somerville: (on how they felt about their 4CC debut in just their 5th competition together) It feels at ease skating with Emily. We’re both just on the same page. I think that with all the support we’ve gotten, all the people who have worked so hard with us – Greg (Zuerlein, main coach), Charlie and Tanith (White), Dmitry (Ilin).

(on the story that they helped create for their Elton John medley free dance). It just shows some personality/character flaws (in me) thinking that I need to be somebody else and trying to get away from where I was raised and search for a greater life. The program starts off with me trying to leave and then she pulls me back. The middle part is about trying to understand who we are...

(on next plans) We didn’t get the opportunity to have an off season last year because there was a time crunch (they teamed up in July 2021). Now we get to really work on basics together, transitions. It will be a lot of fun and we’re really excited.

Bratti: It’s really amazing. We’ve been working really hard all season and we’re very surprised that we are here, very happy about it, and really thankful for everybody.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac

Le Gac: (on their performance and overall impression) It happened some small things, on the twizzles, it was a little bit difficult tonight, but I think that for the first experience here there are still good things to remember, and it's things that happen unfortunately, never at a good time, it's like that. I think, the objective is for us to have more fun tonight and I think that despite everything we had fun, we have a good memory of here, and that's it. (on their plans) No competitions planned for now. I think, one week at a time. We know so far what our plan is, we know we'll rest afterwards and then we'll see. If the season ends, if it continues.

Lauriault: (on her fall and overall impressions) I think it was more a technical error, how it was done, it's things that happen, it didn't happen until now, but it happens. This is the program that we could present tonight, but it was a great experience today, these are still good memories. (on their plans) We take a week of vacation, of rest. School and work waiting for us when we get back, but no skating for next week. Then we'll see how it goes.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus

Firus: We really liked our performance today. I don’t think it was the easiest for us. We really had to dig deep on this one, but overall we thought the audience was great and the event was run amazingly, so we were very happy about that.

(on the growth) I mean we really only made the one mistake yet. Finlandia and the rest just have been minor little dance things but I think we've gotten better each time so overall we're very happy with how far our consistency went. And our programs have evolved being much faster, bigger and that’s good.

Soucisse: It was a bit harder for us physically for some reason. I guess jetlag and everything but we still enjoyed both of our performances here and were happy.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko

Carreira: It was a pretty difficult season for us - we changed coaches, we changed our skating technique so it was a lot of adjustments, but we’re happy we’re able to end our season with our best free dance, I think. So yes we’re overall really happy and we want to continue growing into the next quad.

(On future plans) We want to continue learning their (Ice Academy of Montreal) style since we haven’t had that much time with them yet. Our goal really is the 2026 Olympics so we just want to keep growing and improving until then.

Ponomarenko: (On coming back from a disappointing Nationals) We only had one week so there was no room for being down. It was all mental preparation and finding the right cues to perform at our very best (at 4CC). We were with Igor (Shpilband) for 8-9 years so adapting to a new training style is very different and we want to get a little bit more comfortable in it and use that to the best of our ability for the next 4 years.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Great points! C/B have a good chance of becoming world champions next year and it sounds like they want to continue. If they are healthy and still motivated then I'm all for it :giggle:
P/C and SinKats are retiring?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi

Muramoto: Between the Nationals and 4CC, we focused mainly on the Rhythm Dance and didn't work so much on the Free Dance, but overall, even after yesterday's fall, we were able to pick ourselves up and enjoy our performance.

(on standing with Takahashi on the podium)I share precious memories with Chris (Reed, former partner) regarding ice dancing and we were also aiming for a victory, but I am also very happy that I was able to reach the podium with Dai and fight the world. Even though we are only in our second season, we can fight with the whole world and I admire Dai a lot for that. It feels weird because on the one hand I’m happy to be on the podium, but on the other hand frustrated because of the mistakes. We realized that we definitely want to improve our level.

(on next goals) In this international championship, it was important for us to see how we performed. Our performance was quite frustrating, but we got a very good result and that gave us a lot of confidence for the world championship. We can prepare well, we want to be confident and train well so we can keep up with the best teams. We want to perform RD without mistakes and perfectly.

Takahashi: I'm tired. We didn't make any big mistakes, but some parts were a bit messy. I feel like I didn't give 100 percent. We didn't have that much time to practice before the Four Continents, so overall I think we did a good job.

(on the podium) I'm very happy to be on the podium for the first time in a championship

(as an ice dancer) and I can hardly put my joy into words. But I'm more frustrated that my performance was not so good. Last year I wouldn't have felt that way, but this season I was able to gain a lot of experience and climb the podium. That’s not only because of Kana, but also because Marina (Zueva, coach) and many other people that supported us. Overall, I'm happy to have achieved all this. It all feels so sudden. We have a lot of time until the world championship to prepare everything. We want to have a short break first and then work on our programs again. Our goal here was to be on the podium. That will also be our goal for the World Championship. And we want to achieve our best possible result this season by delivering a perfect performance.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline Green/Michael Parsons

Green: (on winning the title in their first Four Continents) It’s just been incredible, this week has been amazing and having such a quick turnaround from nationals is definitely difficult but definitely so worth it. I feel like we grew so much as a team just from the last competition and coming into this one so much more confident in ourselves and our programs. I think it’s just really representative of the skates we put out.

Parsons: (on winning on their first ISU Championship senior level title as a team) I think the senior level championship title definitely means more to me and more to our career so I’m so proud and so happy and so thankful that we are here and we were able to skate our best and we were able to skate against such great teams. This was a great event and especially here you saw some very unique programs - both in the short and the free - and from so many different teams too. It was a wonderful competition to watch.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just been watching the Free Dance (alas I couldn't watch live - work) but thankfully I could watch everything later, and I had an enjoyable evening.

I keep on being blown away by Caroline and Michael. I don't even like the music particularly but the FD in itself is just so different from everything else. I've seen the programme before, but it just keeps on being so wonderfully interesting. You just get dragged into it (and I mean that in a positive way) and want to watch and watch and watch again. Wow! And aren't they both fun people - with that interview. I can see them walking around the walls already! And I liked the friendly joking about their former partners - and siblings.

Kana and Daisuke were also a joy to watch. They did a Classic piece tremendous justice with that FD. I really enjoyed watching them, and I was happy for them too. Chris asked the question whether there was ever a skater getting medals at 4CC in two disciplines. Has there been? I don't know, but it's a triumph in any case.

I was also happy for Christina and Anthony. They can still do it! Much better than yesterday, and far more interesting to watch too than their RD. And a medal into the bargain.

Although Carolane and Shane did not get a medal this time as they did in 2018, I still felt their skate was beautiful this evening. Not as bland as yesterday, really much better. I hope they can improve further.

Marie-Jade and Romain had a bit of bad luck with that fall, but they really were somewhat slower than than other couples. Not a bad skate, and of course I love the yellow dress, but just not as good as Emily and Ian who quite impressed me. Quite expressive for such a young couple and quite some chemistry there having skated for such a short time together.

To me it seems Haley and Nikolas are a bit stagnant. They skated well enough (and their expression was great) but it feels as if I have seen them do better - or it's just that others have passed them by.

I would have given Holly and Jason more points - but then I'm not a judge - because that was a really decent skate from the Australians. Also more TES than the couple in front of them. That offers some perspective for the future.

Although Charlotte and Richard did well (enjoyable dance), they will need to work.

Last, but then somebody has to be, were India and Eron. It definitely will come!

Funny note: there were quite a few level 4 twizzles among the lower ranked couples, which some of those higher up did not manage to do.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've just been watching the Free Dance (alas I couldn't watch live - work) but thankfully I could watch everything later, and I had an enjoyable evening.

Same.

I keep on being blown away by Caroline and Michael. I don't even like the music particularly but the FD in itself is just so different from everything else. I've seen the programme before, but it just keeps on being so wonderfully interesting. You just get dragged into it (and I mean that in a positive way) and want to watch and watch and watch again. Wow! And aren't they both fun people - with that interview. I can see them walking around the walls already! And I liked the friendly joking about their former partners - and siblings.

Yes! That, for me, is the definition of all my favorite skates that I re-watch over and over. And with Caroline and Michael, they have this complete charisma that is dependent on each other's presence and cooperation. That makes it mesmerizing and also satisfying on so many different creative levels.

Kana and Daisuke were also a joy to watch. They did a Classic piece tremendous justice with that FD. I really enjoyed watching them, and I was happy for them too. Chris asked the question whether there was ever a skater getting medals at 4CC in two disciplines. Has there been? I don't know, but it's a triumph in any case.

I was also happy for Christina and Anthony. They can still do it! Much better than yesterday, and far more interesting to watch too than their RD. And a medal into the bargain.
Same. :)

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I absolutely love Green/Parsons' free dance! Wow, so original and new, and they skated it beautifully today. They have so much poise and confidence for a new team, it's pretty remarkable actually. They are on a real positive trajectory now, and I can see them giving H/B a real run for their money for the US #1 after Chock & Bates retire (if they ever do lol).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, good question. Was there someone other than Daisuke to win a medal at any kind of ISU Championships in two different disciplines?
Deanna Stellato has a chance to win her second ISU championship medal at this event in pairs. She is the 2000 Junior World silver medalist at n women's singles.

Wishing her luck!

Madge Syers did do it a long long time ago

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Deanna Stellato has a chance to win her second ISU championship medal at this event in pairs. She is the 2000 Junior World silver medalist at n women's singles.

Wishing her luck!

Madge Syers did do it a long long time ago
So did Kristi Yamaguchi at the 1988 World Juniors - in womens and pairs!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
So we all know this program isn’t it, anyone else have thoughts on what they could do instead? I was thinking maybe classical but not soft, like Sorcerer’s Apprentice maybe.

Yay, season’s best!
I actually really like their junior blues programme, it was a cute and fun choice that suited them - they sold the more swingy/jazzy blues better than Batdance (although it wasn't the best choice for them, I'm also glad that they didn't do a really hip hop heavy RD because I think that would have been a mistake - I can see what MF was trying to do here - avoid the cringe theme by using a movie with undertones of the theme instead).

I think they could suit some more atmospheric music but I hope they avoid all the cliche choices. They just need to find their niche - Caroline and Michael (and Kanadai in the RD) have really highlighted this season the importance of finding a programme that really speaks to you on an emotional level as a performer. It comes through in every part of the performance that way. If you are invested in what you're doing, other people will be too and you'll get rewarded for it. Ultimately, the risk pays off. Like Snakedance - terrible and risky on paper (and on ice for some) but massive rewards.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So did Kristi Yamaguchi at the 1988 World Juniors - in womens and pairs!
Absolutely right. And so did her partner, Rudy Galindo.
Both medalled at Senior World's as singles, (Rudy a bronze in 1996) and medalled at Junior World's as a pair. Both won Junior World's in singles.

GGFan

Record Breaker
G/P were mesmerizing. I'm still trying to figure out why this program wasn't quite the moment that it was here at Nationals. I called it the most avant garde and creative but it didn't necessarily sing in person. It could be (1) that it was overshadowed by some of the other skaters and/or (2) It plays better on TV and/or (3) they just skated better here.

Whatever the case I think they're primed to do great things this next quad. I'm especially impressed with their skill as choreographers. They could have a lane by being the "interesting/creative" team.

I also really enjoyed M/T. I want to see them continue. They have some beautiful qualities. Daisuke is a marvel.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Loved this skate by G/P, the best FD of any team this year on many levels, and also very impressed with M/T. Here is the video link courtesy of NBC Sports to Caroline and Michael's truly mesmerizing Free Dance: Green/Parsons 4C Free Dance Video
definitely, they're going to be the 3rd team next season
Or second. G/P's personal bests are now significantly higher than H/B's and they have more than matched them in originality and artistry of their programs this season. A year ago I would say H/B had the edge, but not any more.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Caroline Green/Michael Parsons

Green: (on winning the title in their first Four Continents) It’s just been incredible, this week has been amazing and having such a quick turnaround from nationals is definitely difficult but definitely so worth it. I feel like we grew so much as a team just from the last competition and coming into this one so much more confident in ourselves and our programs. I think it’s just really representative of the skates we put out.

Parsons: (on winning on their first ISU Championship senior level title as a team) I think the senior level championship title definitely means more to me and more to our career so I’m so proud and so happy and so thankful that we are here and we were able to skate our best and we were able to skate against such great teams. This was a great event and especially here you saw some very unique programs - both in the short and the free - and from so many different teams too. It was a wonderful competition to watch.
Did the post comp interviewer ask G/P if their former partners would be willing to skate together? I think P said, "Yeah, we are all good friends"

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Loved this skate by G/P, the best FD of any team this year on many levels, and also very impressed with M/T. Here is the video link courtesy of NBC Sports to Caroline and Michael's truly mesmerizing Free Dance: Green/Parsons 4C Free Dance Video

Or second. G/P's personal bests are now significantly higher than H/B's and they have more than matched them in originality and artistry of their programs this season. A year ago I would say H/B had the edge, but not any more.
only time will tell, i guess