2022 Four Continents: Women's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Women's Short Program

Joekaz

On the Ice
It was inside the quarter. Even Chris said so.
After further review I think I will agree with you. On slow mo replay I can't tell if she is still in the air when she hooks the landing, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

streams4dreams

On the Ice
I mean, it's their JOB to pronounce the names correctly. There aren't that many names. It's basic preparation. Some people are lazy or don't seem to care. It's disappointing.
There are even fewer named jumps, and yet we get all sorts of Sælchows and Lʌtzes called.. so I try not to get annoyed at mispronounciations (even though Matsuike today was a bit cringeworthy).

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I managed to catch the second to last group + Mai on the go but I still need to watch the rest. That said, really happy Mai got a season's best, and glad Haein and Yelim went clean and are in contention along with Young if she lands her 3A in the free.

I'll also say as far as announcers pronouncing names, one of the things that bothers me most about announcers and commentators mangling names is that it feels like they're a lot more likely to make an effort with "known" skaters than with young or small fed skaters who are still establishing themselves, so it starts to feel like if they can manage to recognizably say Evgenia Medvedeva but just bail out halfway through, say, Morisi Kvitelashvili that the real problem is that they don't think he's important enough to bother learning his name rather than Kvitelashvili actually being harder to say than Medvedeva for a non-Russian speaker.

And of course, it's not a coincidence that Asian skaters are far more likely to have their names mispronounced than skaters with Western names, even at the highest level. Kaori's gotten called "kay-OAR-ee" rather than "COW-ree" at how many Skate Americas now? It doesn't seem like it should be that much trouble as an announcer to make a note of who's skating, identify the names you're not sure about, and do maybe five minutes of research to make sure you're at least close. Also maybe don't introduce China's top pairs team, the Olympic silver medalists as representing Japan (this is a shoutout to the announcer at Skate Canada this year).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Kaori's gotten called "kay-OAR-ee" rather than "COW-ree" at how many Skate Americas now?

Are you trying to imply that "COW-ree" is the correct pronunciation of Kaori?
It is not really correct.
(I am not saying that "kay-OAR-ee" is correct. As you know, it also is not correct.)

I appreciate correct pronunciations from announcers, and incorrect pronunciations make me sigh.
But my general perspective is that pronouncing every name correctly is "easier said than done."

(I do not have an opinion about announcing for 2022 Four Continents. Have not watched.)

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Are you trying to imply that "COW-ree" is the correct pronunciation of Kaori?
It is not really correct.
(I am not saying that "kay-OAR-ee" is correct. As you know, it also is not correct.)

I appreciate correct pronunciations from announcers, and incorrect pronunciations make me sigh.
But my general perspective is that pronouncing every name correctly is "easier said than done."

(I do not have an opinion about announcing for 2022 Four Continents. Have not watched.)
I apologize if I did a bad job conveying the pronunciation I meant-- obviously something like IPA is more exact but most people can't read IPA. Instead, here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_la2q8w9g the first speaker introduces herself as Kaori, correctly pronounced (the second speaker uses incorrect pronunciation).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Quickly catching up with the Aussie women before work. Delighted that they both skated so well!

For those playing along at home, Kailani extends her TES lead over Victoria by another two points and inches her way closer to being confirmed for the Olympics.

And to join the pronounciation game...Kailani is "k-eye-lah-knee", not whatever Chris was saying. And I don't think that in 2022 "but British commentators always butcher names!" is an acceptable answer to screwed up names.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching and I want to congratulate the beautiful Mai Mihara on such a beautiful short program. She is such a good skater and I’m glad she got the best PCS score. It is too bad that her one mistake this season came in the free skate portion of Nationals. I really wish Japan would have sent her at least to Worlds as Mai is the type of skater that would guarantee Japan 3 spots for next year.

The Korean girls are so evenly matched when You doesn’t execute her 3A. To me, Haein Lee is the best and most artistic, so, I’m glad she is leading the Koreans.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don't see it as 'butchering.' I doubt if that's their motivation either. But I grew up being taught to be gentle and polite, rather like the English. Now years later, I find that holding to certain things about myself is a kind of stubbornness that I find valuable. So when I see it in other individuals or other cultures, I find it amusing but forgivable. Of course, we can agree to disagree agreeably. :)
It's about having sensitivity for the skater's culture. I'm alright with Ted Barton for instance (though his pronunciation is far from perfect, he is frequently apologetic and tries to correct himself). In contrast, Chris takes a stab in the dark and tries to gloss over it. This isn't a Canadian vs British thing either, because Mark Hanretty makes a decent effort - he can probably empathise from a life spent hearing Scottish names being perpetually mispronounced by neighbours down south.

To make an analogy that might be more understandable for you - it's a bit like misgendering a trans or non-binary person. Mistakes are understandable, repeated insistence on using the wrong pronouns is disrespectful.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A pombo and a fall. This score won't be pretty.
The usual Yuhana. She will go clean or almost in the FS, as usual.
And she has the best FS music in all of figure skating this season.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This a thousand times, look up (insert language) phonology or at least ask around. I'm a language nerd and a person who is obsessed with names and naming (comes from me being a writer I suppose) and I just cannot stand being wrong with names myself
You should hear how they butchered my brother’s name at his college graduation…I was like really?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabriella Izzo (USA)

(On her season’s best SP score today) It’s really nice to be able to go out there and do what I’ve been training and just have a nice skate and, even though some things were a little shaky, it’s something that I can be proud of and I can move on from there.

(on the quick turnaround after Nationals) You get into a certain mode where you don’t even think about it. If you start thinking ‘oh no it was only a week’ you’re giving yourself an excuse. At the end of the day it’s my job and my responsibility and so I’m going to come in every day and push myself as hard as I can - regardless if I have a week or three months - it makes no difference in what I have to do every day.

(on returning to her spring semester on campus at Harvard University) We leave here Monday morning and we land Tuesday and I have my first day of classes on Tuesday and I will be right back into class.

Harvard? Wow.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It's about having sensitivity for the skater's culture. I'm alright with Ted Barton for instance (though his pronunciation is far from perfect, he is frequently apologetic and tries to correct himself). In contrast, Chris takes a stab in the dark and tries to gloss over it. This isn't a Canadian vs British thing either, because Mark Hanretty makes a decent effort - he can probably empathise from a life spent hearing Scottish names being perpetually mispronounced by neighbours down south.

To make an analogy that might be more understandable for you - it's a bit like misgendering a trans or non-binary person. Mistakes are understandable, repeated insistence on using the wrong pronouns is disrespectful.
Yeah, some just don't care or maybe think it has to be pronounced in their language. That's why i can't listen most of french journalists pronounce bantu and west african names. They really have a problem with names that start with M or N and that have a consonant after. For example they KNOW that Mbappé is pronounced Bappé not M-bappé. The real pronunciation is more like Mmmbappé but the silent m is difficult to pronounce so Bappé is acceptable. But they don't even say that. Same with N'Golo Kanté. It's Golo but they say N-Golo. Again, they KNOW the real pronounciation.
They make an effort for european names. As for Thomas Tuchel that they were pronuncing in french when he started to coach the PSG, but they quickly changed for the correct pronunciation after a few weeks.