2022 Grand Prix Espoo: General Info | Pre-game Chat | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix Espoo: General Info | Pre-game Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2022 Grand Prix Espoo is the sixth and final event of the 2022-23 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Nov. 25-27, 2022, in Espoo, Finland, at the Espoo Metro Areena. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December in Torino, Italy.
The Skaters are selected and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. Skaters/Couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ Couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and Skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from the 2021/22 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. If available, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can also be selected.

In order for a Skater/Couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2021/22 or current 2022/23 season at an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country Skaters, previously ranked Skaters or split ranked Couples who return with new partners. The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I dunno where best to post it, but here is the link B originally provided by @TT_Fin for the event. The arena is accessible by metro or bus from Helsinki, so should be convenient for international attendees.

The tickets are on sale but pricey

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Will you be presenting your beautiful flower crowns?
I will take them with me for sure (plus handmade cards and hopefully handmade bouquet if I have enough time), but...got an email from organisers that gifts won't be allowed.
So it will be a total freestyle with hope to not get thrown out of the arena :laugh:. I will definitely go for crowning (and gifting) of Piper and Paul, even if those will be the only skaters gifted. But I have plans for much more.
Are you going? Feel free to approach me to talk or see crowns/other stuff in person :), I will probably sit around and make more crowns to probably take them back with me lol).

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I definetely will be on place. I had my tickets bought in ten minutes after when all event tickets came to sale. Will be in Helsinki Thursday, have booked my hotel there, at evening and maybe skip the gala, but on Friday and Saturday I am going to watch also some practice.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I just read from the news that subway lines have been cancelled because of lack of drivers. If here is somebody who lives "inside kehä3" can you tell how bad is it, or is just I have to wait 5-10 minutes more next one - which is not a problem for us living in town where public traffic is not very frequent.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I will take them with me for sure (plus handmade cards and hopefully handmade bouquet if I have enough time), but...got an email from organisers that gifts won't be allowed.
So it will be a total freestyle with hope to not get thrown out of the arena :laugh:. I will definitely go for crowning (and gifting) of Piper and Paul, even if those will be the only skaters gifted. But I have plans for much more.
Are you going? Feel free to approach me to talk or see crowns/other stuff in person :), I will probably sit around and make more crowns to probably take them back with me lol).
Beatrice would you ever consider offering a video tutorial about how you make them? I would watch that in a heartbeat

Lyyli

On the Ice
I just read from the news that subway lines have been cancelled because of lack of drivers. If here is somebody who lives "inside kehä3" can you tell how bad is it, or is just I have to wait 5-10 minutes more next one - which is not a problem for us living in town where public traffic is not very frequent.
Are you sure the news were about subways? I´ve seen such news only about trams. They run less frequently due to driver shortage. I don´t use subways on daily basis so just checked from HSL Route plan that you get to Espoo every 7-8 minutes so there should be no worries on getting to the Arena. (Btw I live inside kehä3 :))

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Looking forward to reports. Go Rika! Go Mai! Go H/B!
We are staying in the mood by watching Japan Eastern Sectionals. My dog seems unimpressed by pairs. I really enjoyed the Jr. Ladies.
japan jr secs.jpg

japan jr sec.jpg

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Are you sure the news were about subways? I´ve seen such news only about trams. They run less frequently due to driver shortage. I don´t use subways on daily basis so just checked from HSL Route plan that you get to Espoo every 7-8 minutes so there should be no worries on getting to the Arena. (Btw I live inside kehä3 :))
Yes, you are right, the latest news were about trams. There were some issues with subways before. I have my hotel booked near railway station, so it is easier to leave home. The gala is just one hour too late for me, I could get it to latest train, but it would be over midnight before I get home, so I decided to leave Helsinki at the Sunday morning and watch gala home. I was also a little bit worried if to get to latest train, it won't be issue, I think, but it is just too late.

Have you been at Metro Arena this season? Last time I was there was Finlandia Trophy 2019 and then it was quite cold, I had my seat at row 5. Now I am not so close to ice, the tickets were cheaper at upper rows.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, you are right, the latest news were about trams. There were some issues with subways before. I have my hotel booked near railway station, so it is easier to leave home. The gala is just one hour too late for me, I could get it to latest train, but it would be over midnight before I get home, so I decided to leave Helsinki at the Sunday morning and watch gala home. I was also a little bit worried if to get to latest train, it won't be issue, I think, but it is just too late.

Have you been at Metro Arena this season? Last time I was there was Finlandia Trophy 2019 and then it was quite cold, I had my seat at row 5. Now I am not so close to ice, the tickets were cheaper at upper rows.
Finns are a tough people, but you really dont want to arrive anywhere late....
I used to collect 100 year old Finn Civil Guard rifles...read some books on the Finns. Tough. But it can get very cold in arenas.
Layering is always a good idea at skating events. One never knows what the temps are gonna be in the arena but pretty much during practice, close to the ice if you have open seating, its gonna be cold...

In Finland, is moving down to better seats seen as socially acceptable?

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finns are a tough people, but you really dont want to arrive anywhere late....
I used to collect 100 year old Finn Civil Guard rifles...read some books on the Finns. Tough. But it can get very cold in arenas.
Layering is always a good idea at skating events. One never knows what the temps are gonna be in the arena but pretty much during practice, close to the ice if you have open seating, its gonna be cold...

In Finland, is moving down to better seats seen as socially acceptable?
I think if you keep youself about at same price level, I think it is not issue, if you are not taking anybody else's seat. I checked and noticed there are still plenty of daily tickets availlable, also at better places. Also some all-events can still be bought, but not so many any more. I could afford to by my tickets, can stay at nights at hotel, but also I found those expensive and some Finns may save their money for EC. I am not surprised if there still will be last moments sale.

During practice you can choose where you sit and all area's probably are not even open yet during practice. They sell also separate practice tickets to those, who don't have all event tickets. So be you who will be on place, be prepared if you come to see practice, you may not get to your own seat yet.

I am one of the persons who wants to be everywhere in (good) time.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think if you keep youself about at same price level, I think it is not issue, if you are not taking anybody else's seat. I checked and noticed there are still plenty of daily tickets availlable, also at better places. Also some all-events can still be bought, but not so many any more. I could afford to by my tickets, can stay at nights at hotel, but also I found those expensive and some Finns may save their money for EC. I am not surprised if there still will be last moments sale.

During practice you can choose where you sit and all area's probably are not even open yet during practice. They sell also separate practice tickets to those, who don't have all event tickets. So be you who will be on place, be prepared if you come to see practice, you may not get to your own seat yet.

I am one of the persons who wants to be everywhere in (good) time.
Ref: I am one of those people...Me too! I would rather be an hour early than a minute late.....Thanks for the info....
In the US, people usually move about if there are plenty of seats so they can sit with their friends or get a better view.
Ms Manners says that if you are sitting in someone's else's seat and they come, you move out quickly and politely.
If I am sitting in the front row for open seating practice and someone wants to sit in "their" seat, I just move now instead of explaining about open seating.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ref: I am one of those people...Me too! I would rather be an hour early than a minute late.....Thanks for the info....
In the US, people usually move about if there are plenty of seats so they can sit with their friends or get a better view.
Ms Manners says that if you are sitting in someone's else's seat and they come, you move out quickly and politely.
If I am sitting in the front row for open seating practice and someone wants to sit in "their" seat, I just move now instead of explaining about open seating.
I meant in practice you may not get to seat because someone else on sitting on it. I meant probably there will be only couple of sectors open at mornings. There are not so many people watching them and I suppose it easier for volunteers and personality to check everything is all right before they open all areas to audience. It has been so at Finlandia Trophy.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I meant in practice you may not get to seat because someone else on sitting on it. I meant probably there will be only couple of sectors open at mornings. There are not so many people watching them and I suppose it easier for volunteers and personality to check everything is all right before they open all areas to audience. It has been so at Finlandia Trophy.
I saw that very thing at Worlds LA 2009. To make their lives easier, they only opened up a few sections to spectators for practice one day. IMHO that is a very low class thing to do. Here we paid $1400 for tickets and bought the expensive meals and stayed in expensive hotels and paid for airline tickets, and pump millions into the LA economy and they do this to us? The beatings will continue until moral improves.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow Piper/Paul AND Kaitlin/Jean -Luc?! The ice dance is gonna be lit!

Also excited to see Dr Finland will be here. I'm also curious to see Alexander Marajov again, it's been a while.

My fingers are crossed for Moris K too, hope he has a much better competition here!

Lyyli

On the Ice

Yes, I attended Finlandia Trophy. Personally, I have never felt cold in Metro Arena. The clothes I normally wear outside in Finnish autumn have kept me warm there. Now, however, it's winter, snow, a few degrees below zero and at least today strong and cold wind so the venue can also be colder but normal winter clothing will do outside and inside too, maybe it is too much inside, we´ll see. Also worth noting that the pavements were slippery in many places today. I think Metro Arena is a nice venue and clearly warmer than the venue in Vantaa where FT was organized in the past.