2022 Grand Prix Espoo Men's Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix Espoo Men's Free Skate

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I am constantly worried about injury with Ilia... hopefully it was to avoid edge/rotation calls or something like that because I really don't want to see him injured
I’m not so worried about injury with Ilia because he has good technique. I’m more worried about the guys that were face planting on the ice today. Replacing the lutzes with flips wasn’t too avoid edge calls because he has a deep edge on the lutz. I’m pretty sure he’s injured. It’s definitely not to play it safe because he’s never even landed a 4F before. He still went for 5 quads and the 4A so I’m hoping whatever the injury is isn’t serious.

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I’m not so worried about injury with Ilia because he has good technique. I’m more worried about the guys that were face planting on the ice. Replacing the lutzes with flips wasn’t too avoid edge calls because he has a deep edge on the lutz. I’m pretty sure he’s injured. It’s definitely not to play it safe because he’s never even landed a 4F before. He still went for 5 quads and the 4A so I’m hoping whatever the injury is isn’t serious.
It's not so much the technique as the number of reps. Quads, no matter how good, take a toll on your body, especially a 4A. Even Nathan struggled with and still struggles with lasting injury. I too hope it is nothing serious if he is injured, but I do fear that something nagging now could potentially lead to worse injury in the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, but folks watch Kévin for quads like folks watch Jason for quads. ;)

I'm sure Kévin wants them, but bronze at GPF without them ..... to quote Kévin, mon dieu!
That is completely false. You cannot speak for everyone who is watching.. and definitely not for Kévin who can jump them and wants them to be competitive. Quads may not always be impressive... but they also can be... and they can definitely enhance a program like Gladiator...
If Kévin chose this powerful music, it's not to showcase his aerial or sliding move... Quads can make huge statements in highlighting the music. Some skaters have done this very effectively in the past. I am the kind of viewer who loves well-rounded skating... I dislike quadsters with no presentation...yes... that's probably worse than a good skate with only triples and doubles... BUT I prefer to watch a great skater, with awesome skating skills AND big jumps, awesome spins, speed, footwork... I want it all...That is actually the sport of figure skating.. As the best men in the world are capable of it all, I want to see it all... So Kévin without quads may be fun to watch but it's not going to fill in all my boxes.... So I do not belong in the assumption you are making that folks do not watch Kévin for quads etc.... NOPE... As a matter of fact, it's rather dismissive towards all the work some athletes, including Jason since you brought him up, do to acquire these jumps. (and you certainly meant GP... GPF will be without Kévin, quads or not)

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the kind of men's skating event I like. Truly, the skaters who earned the medals were so happy, so elated, for their skates. .. not just their placements. And they showed some of the great variances and contrasts in skating styles, what they show, and three completely different styles of amazing artistry. I loved all 3 performances. Ilia just charms and amazes me.❤️

I didn't see the whole event (we had our family Thanksgiving today) ... but I also really enjoyed Camden's performance, and he looked happy with it as well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m not so worried about injury with Ilia because he has good technique. I’m more worried about the guys that were face planting on the ice today. Replacing the lutzes with flips wasn’t too avoid edge calls because he has a deep edge on the lutz. I’m pretty sure he’s injured. It’s definitely not to play it safe because he’s never even landed a 4F before. He still went for 5 quads and the 4A so I’m hoping whatever the injury is isn’t serious.
My guess... only a guess mind you... is that he has some minor ankle tweak. As already noted, he replaced every lutz in both programs here.

Whatever it is, it has to be minor if he's still doing all that content.

I bet that 4F becomes a mainstay of his programs now. That was a fantastic jump, as was the one he did in warmup.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is completely false. You cannot speak for everyone who is watching.. and definitely not for Kévin who can jump them and wants them to be competitive. Quads may not always be impressive... but they also can be... and they can definitely enhance a program like Gladiator...
If Kévin chose this powerful music, it's not to showcase his aerial or sliding move... Quads can make huge statements in highlighting the music. Some skaters have done this very effectively in the past. I am the kind of viewer who loves well-rounded skating... I dislike quadsters with no presentation...yes... that's probably worse than a good skate with only triples and doubles... BUT I prefer to watch a great skater, with awesome skating skills AND big jumps, awesome spins, speed, footwork... I want it all...That is actually the sport of figure skating.. As the best men in the world are capable of it all, I want to see it all... So Kévin without quads may be fun to watch but it's not going to fill in all my boxes.... So I do not belong in the assumption you are making that folks watch Kévin for quads etc.... NOPE... As a matter of fact, it's rather dismissive towards all the work some athletes, including Jason since you brought him up, do to acquire these jumps. (and you certainly meant GP... GPF will be without Kévin, quads or not)
Kevin has successfully landed 4T, 4T3T many times in the past 5 years, but he is recovering from an injury and its good to see that he can be somewhat competitive without the quad. I think this program with 2 quads would be amazing, but I'd rather see a clean skate .

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kevin has successfully landed 4T, 4T3T many times in the past 5 years, but he is recovering from an injury and its good to see that he can be somewhat competitive without the quad. I think this program with 2 quads would be amazing, but I'd rather see a clean skate .
Yes.. that's exactly my point... I know he has the quads and I enjoy his skating with them. And i look forward to when he is healthy enough to bring them back.... My answer is really about what @el henry was saying... I am not agreeing that all skating fans enjoy Kévin as much without all his arsenal. I certainly do not.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Kévin chose this powerful music, it's not to showcase his aerial or sliding move... Quads can make huge statements in highlighting the music. Some skaters have done this very effectively in the past. I am the kind of viewer who loves well-rounded skating... I dislike quadsters with no presentation...yes... that's probably worse than a good skate with only triples and doubles... BUT I prefer to watch a great skater, with awesome skating skills AND big jumps, awesome spins, speed, footwork... I want it all...That is actually the sport of figure skating.. As the best men in the world are capable of it all, I want to see it all... So Kévin without quads may be fun to watch but it's not going to fill in all my boxes.... So I do not belong in the assumption you are making that folks watch Kévin for quads etc.... NOPE... As a matter of fact, it's rather dismissive towards all the work some athletes, including Jason since you brought him up, do to acquire these jumps. (and you certainly meant GP... GPF will be without Kévin, quads or not)

You are right, I will not speak of everyone. I will rephrase: "long time Kévin fans like myself".

I'm sorry Kévin's skate without a quad doesn't fill all your boxes, it definitely fills all of mine:cheer: And of other fans. So to categorically say he is not back yet and reference quads, is not true either. That doesn't mean he can't jump them or won't. It does mean, with these past two skates, he has shown he is back, with or without them.

Neither you nor I speak for everyone, I agree. :).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Don't do a cartwheel if you can't do one like Kévin, particularly when the last spin was, ummm, not good.

So far the most watchable program for me was the Skating Doctor. Know what you do and do what you know:clap:
Skating safe and lovely you can do when you are at the end of your carriere and still pretty much sure to get the spots for euros and worlds :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Ilia's skating. But I do prefer the music from last year's program. It had more substance in the music.

I probably have a lot more idea in my head with program layouts.

Honestly, they both have the same feel to me. They might as well be the same program.

Fingers crossed for something fresh next season. Heck even a warhorse could be amazing.

Can you imagine the Toreador with quads on the musical beats? It would bring down the house. Any house.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are right, I will not speak of everyone. I will rephrase: "long time Kévin fans like myself". And on this, I *know* I am not alone.

I'm sorry Kévin's skate without a quad doesn't fill all your boxes, it definitely fills all of mine:cheer: And of other fans. So to categorically say he is not back yet and reference quads, is not true either. That doesn't mean he can't jump them or won't. It does mean, with these past two skates, he has shown he is back, with or without them.

Neither you nor I speak for everyone, I agree. :).
I am not speaking for anyone however. I am saying that Kévin is not entirely back from injury as he has left out his quads... which is exactly what HE said himself. And as a fan who enjoys all-around skaters, I am looking forward to this program when he does include them. Would you enjoy Kévin less because he includes his quad toes back? :slink:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, they both have the same feel to me. They might as well be the same program.

Fingers crossed for something fresh next season. Heck even a warhorse could be amazing.

Can you imagine the Toreador with quads on the musical beats? It would bring down the house. Any house.
No warhorses. Noooooo! Lol. I would say My Chemical Romance would be better. "Welcome to the Black Parade" and "The Light Behind Your Eyes" would be amazing. I have the layouts in my head. Well, not the exact jumps, but more of if they're single or combos.