2022 JGP Armenian Cup: Cancelled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Armenian Cup: Cancelled

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The best bet will probably be sandwiching it before/after another JGP in the same location or putting it right before/after a Challenger event.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If it happens after the "7th" competition is done, wouldn't it bleed into the GP series?

Yes, the first Senior GP is the week after the last Junior GP. In fact, the only week with no GP's between the first Junior GP (24–27 August) and the last Senior GP (25–27 November) was this week.

Unless they have a replacement Junior GP at the start of a week, like @figureskatingandrainbows suggests, the only available week with no GP's is the week between the last Senior GP and the GP Final. And if it was held then, that would create a nightmare for everybody, as it would mean that nobody would know for sure who had qualified for the Junior GP Final until a couple of days before the GP Final was due to start. And they would be arranging flights and things at the last minute.

The only way having a re-scheduled Junior GP after the Senior GP's would work is if the GP Final was delayed. But, that wouldn't be fair on the spectators who had already made arrangements to go to the GP Final on that particular week.

It's a nightmare! If only this had all happened before this week, then it might have been easier to make alternative arrangements.

CaroLiza_fan

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doing two JGPs back to back in the same week would be tough, as it would limit practice time and force the early week skaters to a horrible compressed schedule. Think about it: today, the skaters arrive on Tuesday, then have a full day of practice on Wednesday before the first competition on Thursday. Then the free events take place Friday and Saturday.

Doubling up would mean skaters would have to be arriving on Saturday, while the previous week's skaters were departing, and practice on Sunday, with all three SP/RD event on Monday, and all three FS/FD final events on Tuesday, so as not to deprive the next event skaters of their practice time.

But at what cost to the early-week skaters?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, no. Didn’t realize it was in trouble. Poor Gurgenidze! That was her one chance.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I wish Edmonton could host it, they lost their JGP last summer due to covid.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Given how packed the calendar is at this time of year, re-arranging the event wasn't going to work.

But, boys, it is going to be a nightmare for the organisers of the events, trying to work out a new timetable that allows for the increased length of each of the segments. I really hope we don't end up with competitions extending into the middle of the night, as we have seen happen before.

Plus, it is a nightmare for the skaters, as there will no doubt be ones that might have had a chance of qualifying for the Final through competing in Armenia that now won't due to being in a different field.

Does anybody know when we will find out who is going where? Is there going to be a big announcement of a list telling us where each of the skaters / partnerships are now going, or are new names going to be added to the entry lists quietly in the background.

This isn't based on anything I've heard (because I haven't heard anything!), but I suspect that those skaters that were already entered for one of the Polish events will be slotted into the other one. It would certainly be a lot easier to extend their stay by a extra week than to arrange going to Italy from scratch.

The question is, will we run out of puns in the competition threads?

Never!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Country
Norway
Given how packed the calendar is at this time of year, re-arranging the event wasn't going to work.

But, boys, it is going to be a nightmare for the organisers of the events, trying to work out a new timetable that allows for the increased length of each of the segments. I really hope we don't end up with competitions extending into the middle of the night, as we have seen happen before.

Plus, it is a nightmare for the skaters, as there will no doubt be ones that might have had a chance of qualifying for the Final through competing in Armenia that now won't due to being in a different field.

Does anybody know when we will find out who is going where? Is there going to be a big announcement of a list telling us where each of the skaters / partnerships are now going, or are new names going to be added to the entry lists quietly in the background.

This isn't based on anything I've heard (because I haven't heard anything!), but I suspect that those skaters that were already entered for one of the Polish events will be slotted into the other one. It would certainly be a lot easier to extend their stay by a extra week than to arrange going to Italy from scratch.

Never!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Since JGP is already next week, they really need to hurry up too. I have a feeling that due to reaching out the skaters on such a short notice, we might experience that the last two events will be most packed. But as you say, it might be more practical to let skaters who are going to Baltic Cup get spots next week, and vice versa. I hope it works out. I agree, I hope we won´t have a situation where skaters will skate until midnight. SP is one thing, but FS are going to be a real struggle.

Just checking the time schedule for Solidarity cup, originally womens SP is already starting 09.45 on Thursday, and practice for women is done just before that from 06.00-08.50. Mens SP is scheduled to be done at 22.15. They have only about 30 minutes break between disciplines. I don´t think you can cut much on the breaks between because the judges need long enough breaks for such events, and no matter what you minimum need 15 minutes to resurface the ice. I think the mens SP should not end later then around 23.00, so maybe getting an hour extra there. The question is, can they start one hour earlier as well from 08.45 or maybe 09.00? But how does that work for the womens SP practice, will they need to start at 05.00? That doesn´t sound good either. I think minimum 05.30 should be the earliest. So if we look at the options here, will 2 additional hours with moving around the time schedule be enough for all the extra skaters competing? For SP - maybe but the FS, yikes!

If we had known this long before they could maybe have changed and having one of the events moved to another day, but at this stage it´s too late for next week and probably the last two as well - I don´t think they can make skaters rearrange plane tickets. I´m guessing skaters who are done Friday (like women) have flights for Saturday and so on and they can´t just start a day before now??

Looking at the original time schedule, I think the biggest mistakes is that they scheduled the women events on the most busy days. Womens FS on friday will end at 22.15 before the changes and it´s starting already 09.30 with RD. On Saturday it´s "only" mens FS and Dance Free skate. Mens FS isn´t starting before noon. It would have been easier if the womens FS was on Saturday instead and men on Friday.

I hope they learn from this, because the recent years the womens events are always the most packed so they should have thought a situation like this could turn up.

At least JGP Egna doesn´t have pairs...
Edit: Checking Egna, they have actually thought about it. Womens FS is on Friday and Saturday and mens FS isn´t starting before 12.15, so they can start the competition earlier, but they need to move one of the practices to the other rink, but then we might have conflicts that women and men practice will have to be at the same time or womens practice when the mens FS starts...and I guess coaches wants to be at the practices as well:scratch2:

I´m just happy i´m not the organizer :dbana: This puzzle doesn´t solve itself.

PS: What will they do with the skaters who got host spots in Armenia?

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
PS: What will they do with the skaters who got host spots in Armenia?

I think there was only 1 extra Armenian.

They were assigned 1 Men and 1 Woman spot in the 4th JGP.
They entered 2 Men and 1 Woman. So it is only 1 extra man entered because organizers can field 3 entries in each discipline.

Edit: or 2 women depending on which page on ISU website you look at

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yay, found Gurgenidze in Italian stage. No chance at the final now, at all, but 🤞for solid performance. Those stages are going to be an exercise in endurance. I hope they break up streams in parts.

Country
Norway
They did indeed push the womens SP forward to 09.00 instead of 09.45 next week. But instead of starting the womens practice earlier, they have expanded in on the practice rink and the last practice season will last until 11.10, so 2 hours after the womens SP have started! Interesting, I didn´t think about that. It does perhaps mean they have to decide starting groups/draw before they set up the practice groups? Or how else are they going to make sure skaters who have late practice are not starting early? It also means that coaches might not be able to be at practice with skaters if they have skaters competing in the early groups , but that is perhaps not a big problem?

I´m happy to see that the are not going to have competition after 22.30.