2022 JGP Armenian Cup: Cancelled | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Armenian Cup: Cancelled

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU Council evaluated the potential options to replace the cancelled ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating, Yerevan (ARM) – September 21-24, 2022 (see ISU Statement of September 16).

Reallocation of entries of cancelled ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating 2022 Yerevan

One option considered was to hold the event in Yerevan on October 19-22, 2022 as gracefully proposed by the Figure Skating Federation of Armenia. However, while the situation at the Azerbaijan/Armenia border and in Yerevan seems calm, the ISU understands that the situation remains fragile and new eruptions of fighting and/or protests in Yerevan cannot be excluded. Considering this uncertainty, the Council therefore concluded that such short-term postponement remained risky and this option was not pursued. However, subject to a normalization in the area, the Council re-affirmed its intention to allot another ISU Junior Grand Prix event to Armenia as soon as possible. The ISU Council reiterates its high appreciation to the Figure Skating Federation of Armenia in preparing the event and for their understanding of the decision taken.

The Council further evaluated the allotment of the cancelled Armenian Junior Grand Prix event to other locations but due to logistical challenges and the time pressure, no economically feasible alternative was found.

The Council therefore decided to re-allocate the competitors’ entries of the cancelled Armenian ISU Junior Grand Prix to the next upcoming three Junior Grand Prix events, namely in Gdansk, Poland on September 28 – October 1, again in Gdansk, Poland on October 5-8 and finally in Egna-Neumarkt, Italy on October 12-15, 2022. The respective organizers have signaled their availability to cooperate with the ISU in accommodating the additional entries. The concerned participating ISU Members are being urgently contacted by the ISU. The ISU thanks the Polish and Italian organizers as well as the concerned participating ISU Members for their flexibility and cooperation.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yay, Gurgenidze, Vrankova and Annis. Will be nice to see familiar faces. Also, like seeing wide representation for all the Central Asian states

Holy Headband

On the Ice
I hope the fact Nakamura won JGP1 won't bias the judges in his favour against Kataise, who beat him at both Junior and Senior JNats last season.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I wonder why Valeriya Sidorova, the third Armenian girl, vanished from the entry list.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
According the lattest news i wonder is it reasonable to held jgp in Armenia?
I just read that they may not hold it. They are monitoring the situation. Nothing official yet!

Country
Norway

Cancelled, it´s the right thing to do. I hope someone else will host it. I think they have to do it later though, it´s not possible to host something next week. The week after Egna must be possible time before the final? I hope Egna will considering hosting a second event.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Cancelled, it´s the right thing to do. I hope someone else will host it. I think they have to do it later though, it´s not possible to host something next week. The week after Egna must be possible time before the final? I hope Egna will considering hosting a second event.
I just want to go back to a time when events didn't have to be cancelled or skaters banned because of wars. 😢

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sooooooo are the skaters for that event going to go to a different JGP? Is there going to be a new event made? Estonia should volunteer. They did it so graciously last season.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Sooooooo are the skaters for that event going to go to a different JGP? Is there going to be a new event made? Estonia should volunteer. They did it so graciously last season.
Both options are currently being considered by the ISU.

I guess if they can't find a willing host very quickly, they will redistribute the skaters to the remaining three JGP events. They can't wait very long, as that would just make the redistribution of the skaters more difficult, they are going to need all three events for the sheer amount of skaters originally planned to be at this event (and skaters need time to travel/find accommodations/obtain visas (if necessary)).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know I'm biased because she is one of my kids, but I feel so sorry for Stefania Yakovleva.

Last year, she lost one of her Junior GP slots due to France not recognising the vaccine she had received, and the ISU only re-allocating to alternative events the skaters that were actually representing Russia. Affected Russian skaters that were representing other countries, like Stefania, did not get re-allocated.

This year, she could lose one of her Junior GP slots due to the event being cancelled due to fighting in the host country.

I really hope that an alternative venue can be found, as re-allocating the skaters to other events is going to really affect the results at the remaining events, and hence have an impact on who qualifies for the GP Final.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Good morning from here chaosside ( my childhood home and this is not a typo, quite a mess now here ) Could it be included with any senior event?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Good morning from here chaosside ( my childhood home and this is not a typo, quite a mess now here ) Could it be included with any senior event?
Not sure how. It would mean that the host rink is closed to normal skating for twice as long, as a JGP takes as much time as a Senior one. The other problem with hosting the Junior variety, of course, is that ticket sales are not exactly a big earner.

I really hope it can be sorted out and skated somewhere else, or at least the skaters involved get redistributed to other competitions. And yes, I am totally biased as my sponsored skaters were due to compete in Yerevan.

Country
Norway
Both options are currently being considered by the ISU.

I guess if they can't find a willing host very quickly, they will redistribute the skaters to the remaining three JGP events. They can't wait very long, as that would just make the redistribution of the skaters more difficult, they are going to need all three events for the sheer amount of skaters originally planned to be at this event (and skaters need time to travel/find accommodations/obtain visas (if necessary)).
I really hope they find a new place to arrange. If they are going to redistribution the skaters to the remaining 3 events it´s going to be awful long events. In ladies there was 32 entries going to Armenia. Let´s say you divide it equally in around 3, you will have 10, 11 and 11 ladies added to the 3 remaining events. JGP Solidarity cup already have 42 entries, so you will have 52, Baltip cup 38 so you will have 49 entries and Egna has 40 entries, so you will have 51 entries there if you make it straight forward. 3 events with 50 entries, that is not a good idea. This is just ladies, imagine the puzzle with a new time schedule.

Also this was just the math, we have to deal with things like skaters can´t just randomly be redistribute like you mention because of tickets etc., but also because (I havn´t checked) some of the skaters who are going to Armenia is probably already on the entries list for one of the other events. Which makes it even a bigger puzzle. Also i´m not sure how fair it will be with the events where you possible have 4 skaters from one nation, and then we have what about host spots?

It´s probably not easy to find a new place, but I hope it´s possible because if they start redistribute that will be really be messy. Le´ts just say i´m happy this is not my job.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I really hope they find a new place to arrange. If they are going to redistribution the skaters to the remaining 3 events it´s going to be awful long events. In ladies there was 32 entries going to Armenia. Let´s say you divide it equally in around 3, you will have 10, 11 and 11 ladies added to the 3 remaining events. JGP Solidarity cup already have 42 entries, so you will have 52, Baltip cup 38 so you will have 49 entries and Egna has 40 entries, so you will have 51 entries there if you make it straight forward. 3 events with 50 entries, that is not a good idea. This is just ladies, imagine the puzzle with a new time schedule.

Also this was just the math, we have to deal with things like skaters can´t just randomly be redistribute like you mention because of tickets etc., but also because (I havn´t checked) some of the skaters who are going to Armenia is probably already on the entries list for one of the other events. Which makes it even a bigger puzzle. Also i´m not sure how fair it will be with the events where you possible have 4 skaters from one nation, and then we have what about host spots?

It´s probably not easy to find a new place, but I hope it´s possible because if they start redistribute that will be really be messy. Le´ts just say i´m happy this is not my job.
Yes, there are huge issues with the redistribution of skaters, but if they can't find a host for a JGP stage, it will be the fairest option. (Otherwise, some skaters might miss out on JGP participation, as federations will try to send their best skaters to the remaining events).

Perhaps a change of the points system would be appropriate if this were to end up happening, to accommodate the additional number of entries, and balance out the advantage for the skaters who competed in the first 3 events. However that would also bring with it additional complications, so the ISU probably won't do that, they will already have enough trouble having to redistribute skaters if they are unable to find a different solution.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hope a good and easy solution can be managed soon.. wish this could come to the USA but I can think of lots of issues to prevent this…. So :cautious: