2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Free Skate

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I don't think Ilia mentally "choked" at Senior Worlds.

The first three jumping passes - 4Z, 4T, and 3A were beautiful if I'm remembering correctly. Then the hard fall on the 4S, and I think that fall knocked the wind out of him. He wasn't anywhere near the same after that fall, I thought he looked like he was physically hurting.
Agreed. That’s exactly what I’ve been saying. I know a nervy skater when I see one and Malinin just isn’t it. I know a choked skate when I see it and that wasn’t it. He was actually very relaxed at Senior Worlds.

The fall on the 4S was a caused by a bad decision. He tried to Rippon for whatever reason and didn’t pop the jump when the take-off went sideways. Stubborn. Lesson learned. Bet he won’t do that again.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Where is @icecoverage’s Israeli junior skater?

Thanks for asking about Nikita Kovalenko. ❤️
And thanks again for waving your flag of Israel 🇮🇱 for him at Cranberry.

Israel had only one men's spot at Junior Worlds. Speaking objectively, I think that it cannot be denied that Vinokur is Israel's top junior man.
No disrespect to Vinokur, but I did miss Nikita. Sigh.

For me, Junior Worlds brought back some fun memories of 2019 JGP Lake Placid, where I became Nikita's fan.
At my first JGP, it was very exciting to see Ilia Malinin (accompanied by both parents) and Joe Klein competing at their first JGP. Both were so young and so small in size, but they both made big and lasting impressions. :)
Gogolev was there too. (He placed second to Shun Sato; Ilia fourth; Joe seventh.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was not the most elegant performance (and I hate the music) but I am glad to see Gogolev skating again. I really thought we’d seen the last of him for a while there.

Will he move to seniors next season, do we think?
He’s 5’11”. I’m concerned we have another Nicholas Nadeau situation.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Ilia is the next great senior male skater for the USA, no doubt. His free skate today was a jump fest with very little artistry. Hopefully with the addition of Rafe as a coach, his team uses the next few months to concentrate on his artistry also, making him a well rounded skater.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so mad at Raf for showing up at Jr Worlds with Gogolov, when he sent Mariah to Sr Worlds alone.

I sometimes try to see Raf's viewpoint, but this is too much.
I think he more showed up with Malinin and well ok he will sit with his other skaters if they happen to be there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn’t he helping to coach Malinin too though? If so, he has two skaters here, who will help keep him
In the public eye after Nathan and Mariah retire (which I expect will be soon)
I believe Mariah has said she will continue another year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah handled everything beautifully, with what she said about it, her attitude, and giving her all. And she skated brilliantly!

Heck, I suppose it's possible that Raf would have made Mariah nervous, without Adam's encouraging presence beside her. Raf is a smart man, and he may have figured that too. ... and I'm sure he really was tired.

So maybe I talked myself into seeing his viewpoint after all. :rofl::dbana:
Adam was not there either. She had him on the phone. Why?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for asking about Nikita Kovalenko. ❤️
And thanks again for waving your flag of Israel 🇮🇱 for him at Cranberry.

Israel had only one men's spot at Junior Worlds. Speaking objectively, I think that it cannot be denied that Vinokur is Israel's top junior man.
No disrespect to Vinokur, but I did miss Nikita. Sigh.

For me, Junior Worlds brought back some fun memories of 2019 JGP Lake Placid, where I became Nikita's fan.
At my first JGP, it was very exciting to see Ilia Malinin (accompanied by both parents) and Joe Klein competing at their first JGP. Both were so young and so small in size, but they both made big and lasting impressions. :)
Gogolev was there too. (He placed second to Shun Sato; Ilia fourth; Joe seventh.)
Hopefully there will be a Cranberry this year, he and I will both be there and I can wave my flag again! 🇮🇱🇮🇱

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Japanese men scared me when their first two athletes faltered. Does a bronze medal keep them at three spots?

I was rooting for the two Canadian men and I’m happy with their 4th and 5th place finishes. They gave an opportunity to another athlete from our country next year.

The skater from KAZ has tremendous technique. The 4T is so high and secure. But, artisticly had me falling asleep.

Good job Ilia! He has the right team and I just have a feeling he will step in as the next Nathan Chen. He is so talented. He hasn’t even added the 4Lo which he can even land as the second jump to a combo. I would love for him next year to attempt a 4T or 4Lo as the second jump.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese men scared me when their first two athletes faltered. Does a bronze medal keep them at three spots?

I was rooting for the two Canadian men and I’m happy with their 4th and 5th place finishes. They gave an opportunity to another athlete from our country next year.

The skater from KAZ has tremendous technique. The 4T is so high and secure. But, artisticly had me falling asleep.

Good job Ilia! He has the right team and I just have a feeling he will step in as the next Nathan Chen. He is so talented. He hasn’t even added the 4Lo which he can even land as the second jump to a combo. I would love for him next year to attempt a 4T or 4Lo as the second jump.
I don’t think that he is the next Nathan Chen. The next star skater for the US, very likely. But there will never be a next Nathan Chen.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t think that he is the next Nathan Chen. The next star skater for the US, very likely. But there will never be a next Nathan Chen.
Nathan Chen is a phenom. Do you know if Nathan will skate for the next Olympic cycle? He just won the Olympics so easily and could dominate again and maybe duplicate Hanyu’s two golds. To me, he balances technical with artistry better than anyone else. He does this while having a well balanced life.

Ilia to me, is the most talented TES skater ever. He is the one I think will land jumps not ever executed before, even by Nathan in competitions in this next Olympic cycle.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
not quite... Nic Nadeau is 6'1. Conrad is 6'0 Joseph Phan is 5'11 Roman Sadovsky is nearly 6'1 as well... Gogo is pretty much one of the shortest of the Canadian men ;) I mean of course, Keegan is 5'4 but he didn't grow up on maple syrup like the others ;)

Don't forget Nam Nguyen, who's 5'11. (I know he's sometimes listed as being 5'10, but his ISU bio was updated just 4 days ago, and it says 180 cm.)

Corey Circelli is 6'0, although he was born in Manchester, UK.

Stephen is only 17, so he may grow even taller.

I thought Keegan was 5'5?

The only short guy among the Canadian-born men is Wesley at 5'6. Being from BC, I guess he didn't consume as much maple syrup as the guys from Quebec and Ontario. 😛

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget Nam Nguyen, who's 5'11. (I know he's sometimes listed as being 5'10, but his ISU bio was updated just 4 days ago, and it says 180 cm.)

Corey Circelli is 6'0, although he was born in Manchester, UK.

Stephen is only 17, so he may grow even taller.

I thought Keegan was 5'5?

The only short guy among the Canadian-born men is Wesley at 5'6. Being from BC, I guess he didn't consume as much maple syrup as the guys from Quebec and Ontario. 😛
Is this why I’m short? Lack of maple syrup??

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen is a phenom. Do you know if Nathan will skate for the next Olympic cycle? He just won the Olympics so easily and could dominate again and maybe duplicate Hanyu’s two golds. To me, he balances technical with artistry better than anyone else. He does this while having a well balanced life.

Ilia to me, is the most talented TES skater ever. He is the one I think will land jumps not ever executed before, even by Nathan in competitions in this next Olympic cycle.
Only Nathan knows if he will keep skating.

skaket023

Rinkside
Great that Ilia Malinin skated clean and won. I think he already shows his personality in his music choices and certain moves on the ice. I'm excited to see that grow with his GOE. I do not think he will be JUST a jumper. He can't afford to, I think. Right now there are too many well-rounded skaters.

I look forward to the new programs next year, and hopefully less 'guy' downer music (Dunno how else to describe it). No Coldplay. Please. Lol.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great that Ilia Malinin skated clean and won. I think he already shows his personality in his music choices and certain moves on the ice. I'm excited to see that grow with his GOE. I do not think he will be JUST a jumper. He can't afford to, I think. Right now there are too many well-rounded skaters.

I look forward to the new programs next year, and hopefully less 'guy' downer music (Dunno how else to describe it). No Coldplay. Please. Lol.

This is a rehash of something I posted on a different thread. I fell into a YouTube hole that kept recommending older-and-older Ilia Malinin competition programs, like 2015 onwards.

Aside from technical improvements year-to-year, the musical selections included a Spanish number, a heavy Russian-sounding orchestral number, a Big Band upbeat. a comic Western theme to "Rawhide", a military-themed march... lots of variety. Of course these were done when he was very young, but it does give hope that he's not a one-trick pony in terms of the types of programs his team will choose. I'm betting that most of the choreo for all these programs was probably done by some "in house" choreographer at his rink, and I suspect this will expand.