2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Free Skate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam was not there either. She had him on the phone. Why?
Well, somewhere it was reported that he had a previously scheduled conflict, although I don't think they said what it was. I pretty much trust Adam that he truly wanted to be with Mariah and it just wasn't possible. But who knows. Since she had Adam on the phone in K&C, I assume that she had him on the phone just before she competed. I've always felt he gave her lots of emotional support and confidence. Anyway, she got what she needed, thankfully! I was so proud of the way she skated. And Mariah did say that Raf gave her what she needed before she left.

At any rate, good for Mariah for finding everything to be grateful for and happy about. And for her fabulous skating. And there's probably a connection. :)

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he more showed up with Malinin and well ok he will sit with his other skaters if they happen to be there.

When I wrote that post, I'd seen Raf with Stephen. I'd seen Ilia with only his dad in the K&C after the SP. And then Raf with Stephen in the FS, which was before Ilia skated. So I hadn't seen Raf "making himself visible" with Ilia at that point.

I also find it really interesting that Ilia's mom, Tatiana, hasn't taken turns with his dad in accompanying him this year AFAIK, at least not to the top comps that I've seen. Maybe she doesn't want to call attention to herself, or have the announcers introducing her with her titles. I don't know, but it's been notable, at least to me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I wrote that post, I'd seen Raf with Stephen and Ilia with only his dad in the K&C after the SP. and then Raf with Stephen in the FS, which was before Ilia skated. So I hadn't seen Raf "making himself visible" with Ilia at that point.

I also find it really interesting that Ilia's mom, Tatiana, hasn't taken turns with his dad in accompanying him this year AFAIK, at least not to the top comps that I've seen. Maybe she doesn't want to call attention to herself, or have the announcers introducing her with her titles. I don't know, but it's been notable, at least to me.

Ilia has said in interviews that Mom makes him nervous (at comps, not overall or in general ;) ) and Dad calms him, or words to that effect (I can't find it right away).

I think it's amusing that Raf is hitching himself to that Ilia train as fast as he can, given that Ilia only spends summers with him.:biggrin: But the optics can't hurt Ilia, that's for sure. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Slightly off topic... I found an Instagram account worth looking at. If you like a skater, odds are that this person does, too. She has a lot of pics and videos from events she's attended in person.

She's in Estonia this week, and her "stories" includes footage of both Ilia and Sevelko practicing after their event... AFTER MIDNIGHT. Maybe they're practicing for a gala? Does JW have a gala?

Anyway, they're both working on quads. Ilia rips off a 4T-Eu-4S, and Sevelko a 4T that is glorious in it's runout.

Gage Brown's hair is also prominently featured, for those of you who (inexplicably) like his locks. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't forget Nam Nguyen, who's 5'11. (I know he's sometimes listed as being 5'10, but his ISU bio was updated just 4 days ago, and it says 180 cm.)

Corey Circelli is 6'0, although he was born in Manchester, UK.

Stephen is only 17, so he may grow even taller.

I thought Keegan was 5'5?

The only short guy among the Canadian-born men is Wesley at 5'6. Being from BC, I guess he didn't consume as much maple syrup as the guys from Quebec and Ontario. 😛
When I saw Keegan in 2011, I was shocked at how small he was "In Height" when he was out of his skates. Armin Mahbanoozadeh is also listed at 5'5" they were both tiny but, Armin has a much slighter build than Keegan. Ryan Bradley towed over both them.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think it's amusing that Raf is hitching himself to that Ilia train as fast as he can, given that Ilia only spends summers with him.:biggrin: But the optics can't hurt Ilia, that's for sure. :)

Given that our mutual favorite Torgashev received beneficial part-time coaching from Christy Krall (for at least a couple of years, IIRC), I am amused by your amusement regarding Raf and Ilia.

At the time, rising star Torgashev still was living in Florida, and his full-time coaches were his parents.
Torgashev periodically would visit Colorado to work with Christy, who was listed as one of his official coaches along with his parents.
I vividly recall that at 2018 Nats, part-time coach Christy was highly visible with Andrew -- at the boards to work with him at practices and for six-minute competition warm-ups. Torgashev's father was there too, but Christy clearly was taking an active hands-on role.
IIRC, Christy was in the kiss-and-cry for at least one of Torgashev's programs, although I am not 100% sure about that part.
ETA:
Christy definitely was in the kiss-and-cry for both of Torgashev's programs, along with Andrew's father.
I have checked the archived video on Fan Zone.
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1881&category=99&type=Archive (Senior Men SP, see Torgashev k-and-c at 1:52:23)
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1881&category=99&type=Archive (Senior Men FS, see Torgashev k-and-c at 2:25:17)​

(All of the above happened before Torgashev eventually relocated to Colorado for full-time coaching from Christy.)

Anyway, seems to me that Ilia is more than happy to have Raf on Team Malinin.

Before the 2019-20 season, Malinin’s parents asked Arutunian if he would work with their son for a couple weeks. Off they went to California. A few months after that, they went back. They began visiting Arutunian whenever possible, including right before the 2022 nationals in Nashville.

“Ilia always wants to go there,” Skorniyakov said.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/03/21/ilia-malinin-figure-skating-world-championships-quads/ (Mar 21)​

... She's in Estonia this week, and her "stories" includes footage of both Ilia and Sevelko practicing after their event... AFTER MIDNIGHT. Maybe they're practicing for a gala? Does JW have a gala?

Anyway, they're both working on quads. Ilia rips off a 4T-Eu-4S, and Sevelko a 4T that is glorious in it's runout. ...

Both Selevko brothers were at practice with Ilia, per Sasha's Instagram photos:

Along with Ukraine's competitor Kyrylo Marsak.

Junior Worlds did not have a gala ... my take is that Ilia and the others wanted to take advantage of practice ice regardless?

The men's victory ceremony ended at 10:30-ish or 11 pm local time on Saturday. Maybe that is why the practice session was after midnight?

For multiple reasons, Ilia's competition calendar for 2022-23 surely will look different from his 2021-22 calendar.
But FWIW, I will mention that the geographically convenient Chesapeake Open starts on June 22, barely two months from now.
At 2021 Chesapeake Open, Ilia competed his senior SP and FS. (So happened that last year, the event was in August, delayed from its usual timeframe.)
Anyway, my general thought is that the 2022-23 season will be here before we know it.
Good for Ilia for having a strong work ethic. :)

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Given that our mutual favorite Torgashev received beneficial part-time coaching from Christy Krall (for at least a couple of years, IIRC), I am amused by your amusement regarding Raf and Ilia.

At the time, rising star Torgashev still was living in Florida, and his full-time coaches were his parents.
Torgashev periodically would visit Colorado to work with Christy, who was listed as one of his official coaches along with his parents.
I vividly recall that at 2018 Nats, part-time coach Christy was highly visible with Andrew -- at the boards to work with him at practices and for six-minute competition warm-ups. Torgashev's father was there too, but Christy clearly was taking an active hands-on role.
IIRC, Christy was in the kiss-and-cry for at least one of Torgashev's programs, although I am not 100% sure about that part.
ETA:​
Christy definitely was in the kiss-and-cry for both of Torgashev's programs, along with Andrew's father.​
I have checked the archived video on Fan Zone.​
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1881&category=99&type=Archive (Senior Men SP, see Torgashev k-and-c at 1:52:23)​
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1881&category=99&type=Archive (Senior Men FS, see Torgashev k-and-c at 2:25:17)​

(All of the above happened before Torgashev eventually relocated to Colorado for full-time coaching from Christy.)

Anyway, seems to me that Ilia is more than happy to have Raf on Team Malinin.

Before the 2019-20 season, Malinin’s parents asked Arutunian if he would work with their son for a couple weeks. Off they went to California. A few months after that, they went back. They began visiting Arutunian whenever possible, including right before the 2022 nationals in Nashville.​
“Ilia always wants to go there,” Skorniyakov said.​

Both Selevko brothers were at practice with Ilia, per Sasha's Instagram photos:

Along with Ukraine's competitor Kyrylo Marsak.

Junior Worlds did not have a gala ... my take is that Ilia and the others wanted to take advantage of practice ice regardless?

The men's victory ceremony ended at 10:30-ish or 11 pm local time on Saturday. Maybe that is why the practice session was after midnight?

For multiple reasons, Ilia's competition calendar for 2022-23 surely will look different from his 2021-22 calendar.
But FWIW, I will mention that the geographically convenient Chesapeake Open starts on June 22, barely two months from now.
At 2021 Chesapeake Open, Ilia competed his senior SP and FS. (So happened that last year, the event was in August, delayed from its usual timeframe.)
Anyway, my general thought is that the 2022-23 season will be here before we know it.
Good for Ilia for having a strong work ethic. :)
Wait, June 22? Darn it. I’ll be in for a busy 12 days in between that time 😣