2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2022 Junior World Championships: Men's Short Program

mrrice

Record Breaker
I sure am happy for Ilia. I won't get ahead of myself after his LP at Worlds but, he has a nice healthy lead over the field. Hopefully, that will keep him relaxed as he prepares for the final phase of the event. I am also happy to see Welsey Chiu sitting in Silver Medal Position. Now that Keegan has a wife and family, I don't imagine that he'll be around much longer. I haven't seen Wesley's LP this season, has he been doing well with it?

Last edited:

Ziotic

Medalist
I sure am happy for Ilia. I won't get ahead of myself after his LP at Worlds but, he has a nice healthy lead over the field. Hopefully, that will keep him relaxed as he prepares for the final phase of the event. I am also happy to see Welsey Chiu sitting in Silver Medal Position. Now that Keegan has a wife and family, I don't imagine that he'll be around much longer. I haven't seen Wesley's LP this season, has he doing well with it?
Very, he’s scored 162 with it. In seniors, but still a healthy score with a couple points shaved off.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
did i ever mention the story line? i am talking about musicality and connection to the music, not the meaning behind the lyrics. I didn't see it. YMMV
Apparently the judges did (there was no US judge), because Ilia did get the highest PCS score. Part of the reason is that he skates much faster than the other skaters, and had lots of transitional moves. Wesley was very good, but it is so much easier to "express" emotional music like Vincent than it is to entertain with rock music.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Apparently the judges did (there was no US judge), because Ilia did get the highest PCS score. Part of the reason is that he skates much faster than the other skaters, and had lots of transitional moves. Wesley was very good, but it is so much easier to "express" emotional music like Vincent than it is to entertain with rock music.
Ilia is definitely the top contender in this field. That does not mean that I have to like his interpretation of the music. As I said, YMMV. Glad you enjoyed him. I certainly did enjoy parts of his program, not his connection to the music. So we are back to exactly what I said in my post in reaction to his SP. Let's see if I connect better to his LP program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very, he’s scored 162 with it. In seniors, but still a healthy score with a couple points shaved off.
Wesley's top junior score (from the 2021 JGP) was 217.59 (FS 140.96). Ilia's top senior score was 263.79 (Worlds 2022), FS 163.63; his top junior score was 245.35 from the 2021 JGP (FS 164.04).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia is definitely the top contender in this field. That does not mean that I have to like his interpretation of the music. As I said, YMMV. Glad you enjoyed him. I certainly did enjoy parts of his program, not his connection to the music. So we are back to exactly what I said in my post in reaction to his SP. Let's see if I connect better to his LP program.
I personally HATE Billy Jean, but he does use the rhythm to drive his speed and varied transitional moves.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got really scared for Kao Miura. He fell dangerously close to the boards and I was afraid he'd hit his head. The remainder of the program was really off. I think he should play it safe and not do the FS.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia does not interpret Billie Jean well, even that God awful cover. He needs to grow into more expression and feeling for the music, but I am sure he will. His team does challenge him with odd choices ( still remember that tiny blond kid in a biker jacket doing a Sons of Anarchy program. 😬)

That said, with this jumps, speed and spins, he is deservedly in first.

And poor Kao Miura, the Japanese have so many wonderful men, Junior and otherwise, why didn’t they send someone who was healthy?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I sure am happy for Ilia. I won't get ahead of myself after his LP at Worlds but, he has a nice healthy lead over the field. Hopefully, that will keep him relaxed as he prepares for the final phase of the event. I am also happy to see Welsey Chiu sitting in Silver Medal Position. Now that Keegan has a wife and family, I don't imagine that he'll be around much longer. I haven't seen Wesley's LP this season, has he been doing well with it?
Fairly, and it has an advantage of not being compared to Zhou’s far more polished performance of the same short program.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia is deservedly in 1st place - he added a bunch of transitions over the past year, including twizzles! I love when male skaters do them.
I don't like the Billie Jean cover either - but this will be the last time we will hear it, hopefully. If he keeps it together, I think he will take the title.

When Kao fell, I gasped. That looked horrible - I agree with everyone who say he should withdraw and not risk further injury.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And he did! :biggrin:

Surprised to hear the announcer say during the Warm-Up that he coaches. I thought it was only in the UK where there is no funding that skaters had to go into coaching to pay for their training.

But, it seems to be helping.

Into 2nd.

CaroLiza_fan
Many many US skaters coach. Almost all.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many many US skaters coach. Almost all.

Almost all of the women and pairs skaters perhaps. I love when Ashley and Alexa show videos of their cute little students.

Jason does not coach. I don't believe, although I don't follow them as closely, that Nathan or Vincent coach. The junior men, I do not know.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia does not interpret Billie Jean well, even that God awful cover. He needs to grow into more expression and feeling for the music, but I am sure he will. His team does challenge him with odd choices ( still remember that tiny blond kid in a biker jacket doing a Sons of Anarchy program. 😬)

That said, with this jumps, speed and spins, he is deservedly in first.

And poor Kao Miura, the Japanese have so many wonderful men, Junior and otherwise, why didn’t they send someone who was healthy?

I just fell into an Ilia Malinin rabbit hole on You Tube, which kicked up some very interesting competition videos from a few years back (2015 onward), when of course, he would be very young. Some observations.
  • His parents brought his technical progression up nicely. Every year you can see progress on jumps and spins, movement across the ice.
  • Some of these early videos have previews of some of his current moves - the headless scratch spin, for example.
  • His parents also exposed him to a lot of different music choices. I saw a military march, a semi-comic Western theme to "Rawhide", a 1930's style big-band program, something that appeared to be a dramatic Russian orchestral number. So I think (hope) he's not going to be a one-trick pony in terms of the types of programs he skates to.
  • Even at a young age, he had that cheeky swagger to his skating, which is fun.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does over the coming year. I don't think he'll be the chaser any longer on the US scene. He'll be the chased, and that's a different dynamic. He's still developing technically and artistically, and the trajectory on both sides over the past few years has been pretty amazing. We'll see if that trend continues at the pace it has been.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam Hagara! Hello my son. Well, not your best, but I won’t disown you. ❤️

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Almost all of the women and pairs skaters perhaps. I love when Ashley and Alexa show videos of their cute little students.

Jason does not coach. I don't believe, although I don't follow them as closely, that Nathan or Vincent coach. The junior men, I do not know.
I don’t think Jason nor any other skater that trains in Canada can coach …work permits or something? I’m sure someone will tell me if I’m wrong. I actually meant to make that distinction.