All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

auser

Record Breaker
Country
Norway
Wait??? Gracie is competing this weekend?! She is doing Nebelhorn Trophy next week, and the womens SP is already on next Thursday :eek2: Gracie, don´t wear yourself out. Skating back to back can be challenging with a jet lag on top.

On the other side, i´m happy for another possibility to see her. Good luck to her and the rest of the skaters!:hap10:

Country
Norway
I see on Twitter someone writes that Gracie will most likely will not do this competition. To be honest I hope she doesn´t, I hope she will rest for Nebelhorn instead!

Also if she doesn´t need for qualifying she really shouldn´t do it!!

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Wait??? Gracie is competing this weekend?! She is doing Nebelhorn Trophy next week, and the womens SP is already on next Thursday :eek2: Gracie, don´t wear yourself out. Skating back to back can be challenging with a jet lag on top.

On the other side, i´m happy for another possibility to see her. Good luck to her and the rest of the skaters!:hap10:
I doubt she will go to the competition this weekend. She is scheduled to be at one of her Road2Gold seminars this weekend, and she has Nebelhorn next week. Typically you sign up for these NQS competitions a few months ahead of time. She might have signed up for a few in case she didn’t get a fall International and needed to qualify for Sectionals. Assuming she competes at Nebelhorn and/or SA, she has a bye to Sectionals. Also, even though she had a fairly low score at Potomac Open (the first NQS she competed at), I believe she’s still 3rd in her region which would qualify her to sectionals even if she wasn’t getting a bye. Although to be fair, someone could out score her this weekend or next weekend. All that said, I imagine she won’t be at this competition. I agree with you, I think she should rest. She’s not as young as she used to be, and competitions take a lot out of you. I guess We will see for sure tomorrow.

Country
Norway
I doubt she will go to the competition this weekend. She is scheduled to be at one of her Road2Gold seminars this weekend, and she has Nebelhorn next week. Typically you sign up for these NQS competitions a few months ahead of time. She might have signed up for a few in case she didn’t get a fall International and needed to qualify for Sectionals. Assuming she competes at Nebelhorn and/or SA, she has a bye to Sectionals. Also, even though she had a fairly low score at Potomac Open (the first NQS she competed at), I believe she’s still 3rd in her region which would qualify her to sectionals even if she wasn’t getting a bye. Although to be fair, someone could out score her this weekend or next weekend. All that said, I imagine she won’t be at this competition. I agree with you, I think she should rest. She’s not as young as she used to be, and competitions take a lot out of you. I guess We will see for sure tomorrow.
That´s good to hear. I hope you are right, it sounds reasonable.

I also think it´s even possible she can get a second Challenger or a Senior B competition if you look at the result so far for US ladies, so she doesn´t need the qualifier. Most of the skaters who are above her on SB list already have 2 GPs and 1 Challenger. Both Audrey Shin and Sonja Hilmer didn´t improve their score above Gracie this week, so she is still ahead of them. And they started to give Challengers to skaters who are very low on the list now. I´m not sure if they rather give more skaters one Challenger rather than giving some skaters another, but from the look at it, if they will start giving skaters a second Challenger it looks promising for Gracie (Possible it also will depend on her skate next week, but we will see :)

Last edited:

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
That´s good to hear. I hope you are right, it sounds reasonable.

I also think it´s even possible she can get a second Challenger or a Senior B competition if you look at the result so far for US ladies, so she doesn´t need the qualifier. Most of the skaters who are above her on SB list already have 2 GPs and 1 Challenger. Both Audrey Shin and Sonja Hilmer didn´t improve their score above Gracie this week, so she is still ahead of them. And they started to give Challengers to skaters who are very low on the list now. I´m not sure if they rather give more skaters one Challenger rather than giving some skaters another, but from the look at it, if they will start giving skaters a second Challenger it looks promising for Gracie (Possible it also will depend on her skate next week, but we will see :)
I agree with you and imagine if she skates decently next week she will get a second Challenger. Sectionals is going to be very difficult this year as there is an 18 skater max field at Nationals. So only top 2 skaters per section will automatically qualify and then next best scores until they reach 18 (depends on how many byes are awarded). Ting, Jill Heiner, Gracie, Ava Ziegler are all in the East Coast section (plus Isabeau and Lindsay but they have byes to Nationals). If all of those had to go to Sectionals only 2 would for sure qualify to Nationals. A lot of very good, talented skaters are going to be left home in January. Hopefully Gracie will skate well at Nebelhorn and be assigned another Challenger.
To get back on topic, I’m excited to see Torgashev and Yaro. As well as Milly Murdock’s short program, I really enjoyed it the last time I watched it!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you and imagine if she skates decently next week she will get a second Challenger. Sectionals is going to be very difficult this year as there is an 18 skater max field at Nationals. So only top 2 skaters per section will automatically qualify and then next best scores until they reach 18 (depends on how many byes are awarded). Ting, Jill Heiner, Gracie, Ava Ziegler are all in the East Coast section (plus Isabeau and Lindsay but they have byes to Nationals). If all of those had to go to Sectionals only 2 would for sure qualify to Nationals. A lot of very good, talented skaters are going to be left home in January. Hopefully Gracie will skate well at Nebelhorn and be assigned another Challenger.
To get back on topic, I’m excited to see Torgashev and Yaro. As well as Milly Murdock’s short program, I really enjoyed it the last time I watched it!
They need to stop with these restrictions and allow more skaters to compete at Nationals, not fewer. As a frequent Nationals attendee, I want to see more skaters.

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
They need to stop with these restrictions and allow more skaters to compete at Nationals, not fewer. As a frequent Nationals attendee, I want to see more skaters.
I agree whole heartedly with you! They have to resurface to have a 3rd group anyways, if they want to have a max, make it 24. Still leave the minimum TES to qualify but we get some more good quality skaters. I am already 😭 for all the good skating that we won’t see in January by skaters that don’t make it out of sectionals. I have everything crossed that Gracie and anyone else who might have 2 Internationals is given a third one and then a bye to Nationals.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did catch some of the Junior Women last evening on the Hurd stream on Youtube and it was pretty reliable. Unlike the hot mess that was the stream from Lombardia earlier today.

(And bless Sylvia Unseen, who keeps on top of these NQS events. Without her posts, I wouldn't have known the Mid-Atlantics schedule last weekend, which enabled me to attend some of the event in person.)

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Just checked the starting order for the Women's program and Gracie isn't WD... maybe we'll see her skate tonight
There’s a picture of Gracie and Mirai on the Road2Gold Instagram page. It says they are in St Louis, which is a couple hours by plane to California, so I am going to guess she’s going to WD. At many of these smaller competitions, skaters may not actually notify anyone of the WD, they just don’t show up, it’s pretty common. But I guess we will know for sure tonight.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There’s a picture of Gracie and Mirai on the Road2Gold Instagram page. It says they are in St Louis, which is a couple hours by plane to California, so I am going to guess she’s going to WD. At many of these smaller competitions, skaters may not actually notify anyone of the WD, they just don’t show up, it’s pretty common. But I guess we will know for sure tonight.

@moonvine , did you know Gracie was so nearby?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@moonvine , did you know Gracie was so nearby?
Not specifically this time, but she does Road 2 Gold at that rink several times a year. If I could skate I'd register. I'd love to just show up...but I don't think it'd be the right thing to do.