2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Prediction after the SP would be
1. Sofia A
2. Sofia M
3. Adelia P
Overall crikey !! I Predict Zhilina and Samodelkina may feature! Couldn't call it . Sitting on the fence on this one.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
It appears many of the predictions might have been based on the senior nationals. Mine were. lol.
I mean... Even senior nationals aren't all that helpful, considering only about 1.7 points divide Adeliia and Sofia M., with Sofia S. squarely in between them.😅 (I removed Sofia M.'s deduction for the time violation, as that is not likely to happen a second time.)

Personally, I would be down for a podium consisting of Sofia A., Sofia S. and Sofia M. (most likely in that order, if it were to happen) - at the very least for the chaos/fun of a JWC Team consisting of 3 Sofias, training under 3 different coaches 😂

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I mean... Even senior nationals aren't all that helpful, considering only about 1.7 points divide Adeliia and Sofia M., with Sofia S. squarely in between them.😅 (I removed Sofia M.'s deduction for the time violation, as that is not likely to happen a second time.)

Personally, I would be down for a podium consisting of Sofia A., Sofia S. and Sofia M. (most likely in that order, if it were to happen) - at the very least for the chaos/fun of a JWC Team consisting of 3 Sofias, training under 3 different coaches 😂
This result would be my dream come true.

triggerhorse

Spectator
I am blessed to live in Canada. Unfortunately, our placement level at international Ladies competitions for Junior and above, has fallen to an all-time low (especially compared to Russian skaters), in the last 5 years. Our children in Canada have the same physical and mental attributes and talent as the Russian skaters when they begin skating, but what is the reason our skaters fall short internationally, when they reach Juniors and above? I have my own theory of why this is continuing, even now. Does anyone have some ideas why this is happening? Thanks!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

I would have thought that before Nationals, but Petrosyan really polished both of her programs. To be honest, she actually looked more interesting to me personally than Akatyeva the last time I saw Akatyeva. But I doubt Akatyeva twiddled her thumbs, so… basically I am just prepared to be amazed!

@triggerhorse I am also from Canada and I like Schizas. I think she will surprise us at the Olympics. Honestly, I just think Russia has more interest and competition is stronger there, while in Canada, ever since I had been watching, there was very little happening in the woman’s field, no continuous influx, no hierarchy from 6 years olds onward…

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone have some ideas why this is happening? Thanks!
I do remember reading somewhere that in Canada they don't teach triple jumps until the skater is 12 or 13 - like it was actually against the rules for coaches to do it. Not sure if that's still the case, or if it was maybe in the US? Either way over in Russia they start teaching triples (and quads!) much younger.

There's debate on the safety of that...the current Junior Russians will be a bit of a test case.

Although Mishin was of the opinion that it was a good idea to teach young skaters their triples because even if they lose them - due to puberty or growing tall quickly - it's easier to get them back when every settles down.

katymay

Medalist
I am blessed to live in Canada. Unfortunately, our placement level at international Ladies competitions for Junior and above, has fallen to an all-time low (especially compared to Russian skaters), in the last 5 years. Our children in Canada have the same physical and mental attributes and talent as the Russian skaters when they begin skating, but what is the reason our skaters fall short internationally, when they reach Juniors and above? I have my own theory of why this is continuing, even now. Does anyone have some ideas why this is happening? Thanks!
Russia has a higher sheer number of girls in the 4-6 year old range in the beginning skating programs. It is part of their culture. From there, there are a multitude of reasons including off ice training, jump training, rotation training at an early age etc. (Financial considerations as well of course).
This junior generation of girls pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of U.S. and Canadian figure skating. Japan has a few 13/14 year olds that are competitive, but the U.S. and Canada will be left pretty far behind this quad, and in in the US in particular, I see no one moving through intermediate/novice/juniors that will have an impact in the future. USFSA has been asleep at the wheel, and not sure they really care enough to change things. I'm not sure they have the resources even if they wanted to try.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It is the sheer number of Russian girls. Because there is so many of them, the technical content gets pushed up. I bet every single one of these girls at Junior Nats will go for 3Lz+3T and a 3F in the short, or at least 3F+3T and a 3Lz. That is something you won't see at any level in Canada and the US.
Some girls will even aim higher here and go for the 3Lz+3Lo or 3A+3T.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Only one girl grom the JGPs (who automatically q to junior nats) competed in the cup events. Maria Zakharova.

That was unlucky for Sofia Vazhnova. If Maria wasn't there, Sofia V would have q to junior nats before Sofia Zakharova, and then Sofia Z would have been the substitute for Berestovskaya instead of Shiryaeva.

Besides Vazhnova, there were some great skaters knocked out from the cup events. Latushkina, Nelyubova, Paramonova, Dmitrieva to name a few.

Last edited: